on 11 June 2004
This is one of the best albums I have heard in a long time, there are so many good feeling songs which, sometimes jump out and surprise you when you least expect it. One thing I want to say is track 8 'Glorious Indie rock 'n' roll' watch out for this absolute beauty of a song, I think it's one of the best songs i've ever heard and is a real delight. Sadly this song got the better of me, driving along a nice country road on my own rocking out to this dare I say it 'anthem' and got carried away. Twice in fact, once by the song and once by the paramedics carrying me to the ambulance after I wrapped my car round a tree, back home now and still love, listened to this album non-stop for a week and am thinking the joy will never end. If I thought everyone in the world was rich and could afford £9 cd's on the advice of a few people I'd say go and buy it, but i'm a realist, so find a mate who already has this and blag it then after a week make up a lame excuse and buy them a drink, they might not forget but at least you get it for another week.
Happy Listening
on 29 April 2006
I wasn't too impressed with the Killers to start with, but having seen them at Reading Festival and finding myself humming with their tracks whenever they were played on the radio, I finally had to buy the album. Now, I'm completely convinced that it is a truly great album. Also, the DVD is worth having.

My only problem - and it's a big one - are the remixes at the end of the CD. I really hate them. They are at odds with the style of the album and I would have much preferred if they were not included. That's the only reason to take a star off in the rating.
on 9 March 2005
I've never listened to 80s indie music so i won't be going on about it. I will, however, go on about the greatness of this album. Epic, almost theatrical yet still 100% indie rock music is what the killers do, and they do it sooooooooo well! Mr Brightside is the song of 2004, no doubt, yet despite its brilliance it doesn't stand out as the rest of the album is on a par with it. Jenny was a friend of mine, all these things that i've done and believe me natalie are equally as fantastic. For the killers the future is bright, they are unique in producing a full ALBUM, not a few good songs mixed with some rubbish like most new bands - Bloc Party! and the frontman, Brabdon Flowers, does what every good frontman should do and puts on a one man show for the crowd. when you've listened to the cd go see them live, they are fantastic.
on 2 July 2009
Hot Fuss is my favourite Killers album by far. Every track is so catchy, and I love the eighties style. The lyrics are perfect. This album shows off the band's real talent, and I just wish they would do more like this.
1. Jenny Was A Friend Of Mine - A personal favourite. It's dramatic (it's about murder, after all), it's spine-tingling and it's brilliant. I love the bass at the beginning and the keyboard at the end.
2. Mr Brightside - Who hasn't heard this song? It's really beautiful, and a track that cheers me up when I'm feeling down.
3. Smile Like You Mean It - Really sad and haunting. At the same time, it sticks in your head and makes you fall in love with this band.
4. Somebody Told Me - Absolutely amazing. The lyrics in the chorus make me laugh (in a good way) and the whole track is just genius.
5. All These Things That I've Done - A catchy anthem. One of The Killers best tracks, yet most people just know it for the 'I've got soul, but I'm not a soldier' - it's so much more than that.
6. Andy, You're A Star - One of my least favourites, but it grows on you.
Slightly creepy too...
7. On Top - Such an amazing song. It really sums up The Killers 'sound', combining keyboard with great vocals.
8. Glamorous Indie Rock and Roll - This strays from the 'theme' of the album, but is a fantastic track none the less, especially when the layered vocals come in towards the end.
9. Believe Me Natalie - I am sometimes tempted to give up on this track due to the slow start, but it gets much better, really building up to a feel-good track.
10. Midnight Show - Another favourite. Also about murder, but in a much more sinister way. Listen out for the faint 'she said she loved me' towards the end, it's the best part in my opinion.
11. Everything Will Be Alright - A slightly disappointing end to such a great album, but not a bad track by any means.
If, like me, you got into The Killers through 'Human', then I highly recommend this album as it is true musical perfection. Also, if you have only really heard tracks like Mr Brightside and Somebody Told Me, you will probably love this album, as it is very hard to hate.
on 22 February 2006
I have to admit I am a bit late reviewing this cd, after all it has been nearly two years since it was originally released. But initially it took me a while to actually sit down and listen to this record all the way through.
I bought this record several months before, after my friends constantly sung Somebody Told Me and I heard all the singles on the radio. I always question the hype over records, cause it either bows in a state of glory, or ends up putting its foot in its mouth.
Well, The Killers are good, in fact many times on this album they are fantastic. Hot Fuss is a rock record which is filled to the brim with pop-synthensized anthems, the sort of instrumental sound that was well popular in the eighties. But thankfully, they modernise it and put it to good use in Mr Brightside.
The album starts of very good with Jenny Was A Friend Of Mine, before launching into the four singles that everyone should know by now. I think out of the songs they released I would say All These Things That I've Done is my favourite and it diverts from the poppiness of Somebody Told Me.
Elsewhere, Andy You're A Star and Glamourous Indie Rock & Roll are specifically destined to be played in big stadiums, whilst On Top has a little tongue in cheek tone.
The album doesn't close on a good note in my opinion, Believe Me Natalie and Midnight Show are alright after a while, but the weakest track has to be the closing Everything Will Be Alright as it drags on at 5:45.
To conclude, I think The Killers are to America what The Kaiser Chiefs are to the UK, in other words they are one of the best groups to emerge in the past two years. Hot Fuss is a great album, at least from tracks one to eight, but other people will have different opinions to the closing songs.
Buy this cd now :-)
on 15 February 2005
If you are looking for a great debut album, this is it. The Killers give you "Hot Fuss", a fantastic mix of electro pop and indie rock.
Right from the start Jenny Was A Friend of Mine sets the tone for the album, with a song that you will be humming for the rest of the day.
Mr Brightside is probably one of the most radio-friendly tunes around these days, as is the sublime Somebody Told Me, their most recent single.
Smile Like You Mean It and All These Things That I've Done are great songs that would have been hits if they weren't on an album of this quality. SLYMI gives a slightly dark tone to the album, while ATTTID gives a lighter, breezier sound, with the gospel sound in the background reminding me of the Polyphonic Spree.
On Top is, for me, a reminder of U2 with keyboards. Again, it's a song that will stay in your head for days. A cult classic.
Indie Rock And Roll is fantastic, although it is a song that 'takes the mick' out of the whole indie scene. The song is one that I'd love to see performed, as it is a song that would be fantastic at a concert.
Believe Me Natalie brings the upbeat tone of the song down a few notches, with some brill drum and guitar parts. This song has many layers, which fit together just perfectly.
Midnight Show is again a good song, but I don't really believe that it is as good as say, Mr Brightside.
Everything Will Be Alright is a great song, a very slow song that reminds me of The Cure slightly. It's a sort of "makeout" song, but unfortunatly the song quality isn't very good.
All in all it's a fantastic album. At the start, you instantly love the singles, but after you listen to it for a while, every song will sound like a masterpiece.
VINE VOICEon 31 August 2006
I first heard 'Mr Brightside' on MTV a few years ago and thought is was a great great indie song. The Killers sound very British and bring back fond memories of the summer of '96. The album does not disappoint, although as many people have mentioned the first half of the album is much better than the second, but this is more because of the sheer quality of the first half rather than any problems with the second. For a debut album this is very very impressive. Looking forward to the second with baited breath....
on 9 October 2005
Take an old school style and team it up with modern sounds and the result will be the Killers. Hot Fuss is their debut album and it rocks! Every single song is brilliant with a catchy mix of guitar, keyboards and that rock n' roll voice. From the first track until the very last, there is something for everyone, my favourites being Smile Like You Mean It, Mr Brightside, Somebody Told Me, Jenny Was A Friend Of Mine and Andy You're a Star.
I do find On Top and Glamorous Indie Rock & Roll a bit similar to the other tracks and the last 3 are not as catchy. However The Killers have exploded onto the music scene and this album proves that this is justly deserved and that they should be around for a while. *****
on 29 August 2006
Well! I'm 17 years old and I admit within this review that I have never had an obsession I will admit to. I am a girl who grew up with the Spice Girls and let myself be swept up in mainstream hype. But I am proud to announce The Killers are my first independent musical obsession and I'm proud of that fact, and I hope this review will tell you why!

I actually got Hot Fuss cheap in the summer of 2005 because I remembered how well they were received and wondered what I was missing out on. Somebody Told Me had featured on a summer compilation CD I had, and I think everyone has to admit how infectious that track was, love it or hate it! I didn't mind it, although I have only just come to hear/understand the lyrics this whole year later and I am ashamed - The Killers deserve my undivided attention!

At the time however, I didn't think I would particularly warm to a dozen tracks in the same vein as STM... so it's just as well they're not! :D

1) Jenny Was A Friend Of Mine: Ask anyone, they'll tell you how incredible this song is. Guilty of a murder, commited through jealousy, a love lost, a love he regrets - you can feel so emotions in Brandon's every word, and I actually sat up with a friend recently who loves The Killers as much as I do, for a good hour deliberating who Jenny could have been and discussing the genius of this song. It truly is incredible - such a fantastic opener!

2) Mr. Brightside: It was upon hearing this track that I decided I had to get Hot Fuss because it was so unlike STM. Brandon plays the jealous lover with his every word and it breaks your heart, the best single in my opinion. # It was only a kiss, how did it end up like this? It was only a kiss, it was only a kiss! # This song can touch anyone who listens to it IMO. And a 5* to the video as well - I love the Moulin Rouge style, massive fan of that film and all passion and jealousy entailed - and is that Brandon I see dancing there? Oh what a beautiful beautiful man!

3) Smile Like You Mean It: There is a lot of pain in this song I think, telling stories of uncertainity that again, I think everyone can relate to. But the power of The Killers song for me is that I can think about them and I can smile cos of how Brandon's voice carries through his every message. I smile like I mean it! :P

4) Somebody Told Me: OK, I admit, I have no idea what this song is about, but I put it down to Brandon Flowers' hidden genius, and let's face it, no-one can escape the beat of this song - and I bet you all sing along! # Well somenody told me that you had a boyfriend that looked like a girlfriend I had in February of last year! #

5) All These Things That I Have Done: Again, not one I understood to begin with and one I thought dragged on, but now I just love it because I can listen and take it to heart and the beat lifts me up and makes me smile, and I don't think anyone can say they weren't encouraged to sing # I've got soul, but I'm not a soldier! # like they didn't mean it because these guys can make me believe it and I love them for it!

6) Andy, You're A Star: Open to interpretation I believe Brandon said, this is a personal fave just cos I know a guy called Andy who IS a star :P even if the rest doesn't really

apply! # Hey shut up, hey shut up! # :P

7) On Top: For the week or so I've been listening to this song, I still haven't figured what it's about but that's me being slow. I enjoy this track simply for the line "It's just a shimmy and a shake, can't fake it, we're on top!"

8) Indie Rock n' Roll: Reading the reviews here, this seems to be the track that's attracted the most criticism, and I really can't see why. The melody pulls you in but gives Brandon the opportunity to force in his every beautiful word. I point you in the direction of # Don't be shy, let's cause a scene, like lovers do on silver screens! ' I love this song more and more each time I hear it.

9) Believe Me Natalie: Possibly the only track on the album that hasn't grabbed me yet. That's not to say I don't like it, the drum beat at the beginning is incredible, and in fact it carries in through the whole song which is a plus point for learning to love it - I'll come back with my more valid opinion when I have fallen in love with it, and no doubt I will. Brandon's vocals make every word irresistable. # Believe me Natalie, listen Natalie, this is... your last chance #

10) Midnight Show: Part of a murder trilogy that lies incomplete on Hot Fuss apparently. It took me and my friend a long time to work this one out, but once we had we fell in love with the murderous intent! # She turned her face to speak but no-one heard her cry! Drive faster - drive faster boy! # You can feel Brandon fighting off his every feeling of guilt and I just love the line # I took my baby's breath beneath the chandelier! #

11) Everything Will Be Alright: Not the greatest exit to their amazing debut I agree, perhaps too long, but I've come to find there is real meaning in this song... again another song the listener can take to heart. There's hope here... lots of hope for The Killers I think!

NOTE: If you can, get the Special Edition of Hot Fuss, I have this, the standard edition and when I realised the genius of this band, decided I couldn't be without the extra tracks "The Ballad Of Michael Valentine" & "Under The Gun" & they are both absolutely incredibly, Under The Gun breaks my heart with all the lost romance, but I'm just a sucker for Brandon and his jealousy and/or heartbreak!

And since the release of "When You Were Young" from the forthcoming album "Sam's Town" I can't tell you how much I have come to love this band and everything about it. I devour every song I come across and have my order for the new album in and I'm counting down the days til the release date of October 2nd and just praying they make it back to the UK as I would love to see them!

The Killers are my first true obsession, I said I am proud and I am - with music and talent like this, they can do nothing but great things IMO!
on 4 September 2005
The Killers are, quite simply, a breath of fresh air. In amongst the drab 'pop' that the likes of Westlife, Girls Aloud and - dare I say it - Crazy Frog that makes up the laughable charts right now, we have a saviour, a band that will pull our music scene out of these dark, dark ages. And that band is the Killers, with their refreshing blend of indie-rock and eighties electro-pop. When The Killers first blasted onto the indie scene, and all the indie kids at college started banging on about them, I couldn't have cared less - me, jump on the bandwagon? No way. But when I got given the album on my birthday, I thought, what harm could it do? Well, it certainly ruined my cool attitude towards them. Suddenly, through the raw passion of 'Jenny Was A Friend Of Mine', I couldn't stop listening. The CD has been in my player ever since, meaning it's knocking on 8 months now. This album is chock-a-block with fabulous songs - 'Andy, You're A Star' is just one of many. The crunching guitar at the beginning, coupled only by Brandon Flower's powerful vocals sets the scene for a far-too-short song full of the drama of unrequited love. 'Glamorous Indie Rock 'n' Roll' sums up The Killers' sound entirely, building to a crescendo not even the Kaiser Chiefs could pull off. The sublime 'Mr. Brightside', arguably the best track, manages to get away with obvious repetition simply because of the anguish in Flowers' voice as he sings of discovered betrayal. You can barely tell there's really only one verse because the emotion in the second repetition is huge.
It's silly to gush about a band so much, as it can lead to so much disappointment (The Darkness, anyone?). Yet The Killers are worthy. They know what they're doing, where they're going and what is needed to make a whole album full of possible singles and modern classics. If they carry on like this, I daresay they will grab the crown off of... well, they will INVENT the crown for Glamorous Indie Rock And Roll, because this sound didn't EXIST until The Killers came along. Discover and be converted!