5.0 out of 5 stars I wanted more
This is , of course, wonderful - but why oh why did Ella only record twelve Kern songs? He is up there with the best of them (Porter, Gershwin, Rodgers & Hart, Mercer etc). I will not list any of the omissions - you know what I mean!
Published on 3 Dec. 2011 by Mr. Charles R. Day

3.0 out of 5 stars Ella sings Jerome Kern
Published on 2 Sept. 2012 by Dr. H. A. Jones

3.0 out of 5 stars Ella sings Jerome Kern, 2 Sept. 2012
Dr. H. A. Jones "Howard Jones" (Wales, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
I was a little disappointed with this CD - and with the LP from which it came. Ella sings as well as ever and Nelson Riddle's arrangements are, as always, skillful and varied. There are only 12 tracks on the CD as on the vinyl original to give a total playing time of 50 minutes - rather frugal by today's standards. But my main objection was with the choice of material. Kern wrote so many great songs and several of these that are included are not amongst his best - `Let's begin', `You couldn't be cuter', `She didn't say yes'. Where were `All through the day', `Can I forget you', `Make believe', `In love in vain' or `Smoke gets in your eyes' for example? These had not been widely recorded by other artists, even in the 1960s. I would normally expect to rate everything that Ella records as 5* but I cannot honestly do that here.

Jerome Kern Songbook

5.0 out of 5 stars I wanted more, 3 Dec. 2011

5.0 out of 5 stars Short but one of the best of the Songbooks, 5 May 2013
I have all of Ella's Songbooks. I love this one particularly. It's beautifully orchestrated, the lyrics are witty and delivered with Ella's inimitable style, ease and mastery of a tune. I love it. One of the best of the Songbooks.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 2 Oct. 2014
Ella in top voice...

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 12 Oct. 2014
fine

5.0 out of 5 stars Ella Fitzgerald/ Jerome Kern review, 26 April 2011
Arthur Byrne (Ireland) - See all my reviews
Only just got into Ella's music. This is great stuff. Great songs, wonderful voice. Listen to song previews if they are there. Price just fine. I'm happy.

The Jerome Kern Songbook