Format: Audio CD|Change

Well done the Financial times is all I can say. It's not a paper that is regularly posted through the letterbox but an off chance reading of it at a public library turned up a short review of "I am Kloot's" new album "Sky at Night" which ended with the plea that it is "time surely for this Manchester band of everymen to have their day in the sun too". The FT is emphatically right "Sky at night" is a revelation and an album of consummate song-writing and big songs. Unbelievably this is the fifth album for this three piece Mancunian band who comprise John Bramwell (guitar/vocals), Peter Jobson (bass)and Andy Hargreaves (drums). They formed in 1999 and sadly over that period have been so far below the radar that a Lockheed Blackbird would have had trouble spotting them. Dear old John Peel tried his best to promote the band but we didn't listen properly.

"I am Kloot's" predicament has some similarities to there mentors and great chums in Elbow who also struggled to gain their rightful recognition for far too many years until they unleashed the wonders of the "Seldom Seen Kid" one of the greatest albums of the last or any decade for that matter. Since 2001 "I am Kloot" have had a big Elbow connection with Guy Garvey producing their debut and for their latest Garvey has enlisted fellow band mate Craig Potter to help at the mixing desk. It appears that the newly found "Elbow Magic" has rubbed off and resulted in another brilliant Kloot album but one this time that represents a real leap in consistency and maturity.

Clearly the two big songs on here intended to draw people in are the opener "Northern Skies" currently subject to blanket playing on Radio 2 and the penultimate song the jaw dropping "Radiation". Both songs are very different with the former having a countryish feel and makes for an ideal single with a brilliant video featuring Christopher Eccleston to accompany it. "Radiation" starts off as altogether more sparse and beautiful affair that then breaks into huge almost ELO like orchestration midway and superb vocals by Bramwell where he repeats the lines "Everything we ever thought, we'd ever want, me and you, well it just came through" over a pounding backdrop. In short it's a storming song and massive highlight. Yet my true favourite's on the album are the slow burners like "I Still do" which is achingly beautiful and destined for classic status, equally the Richard Hawley style piano ballad "Its just the night" has a lonely desolation and sadness which captures perfectly a gin soaked evening which has gone wrong. "The moon is a blind eye" pulls on every emotional pulse in your body, while "Lately" is slightly bluesy but the huge wall of backing harmonies are pure "Abbey Road" and the late Dr Winston O Boogie would have loved to tackle this head on. Finally "Proof" seems to have been on every album they have recorded including a more raw version on the 2006 John Peel Sessions. This newer version is a gentler affair but remains a great song.

All the songs on here are class and "Sky at night" is the perfect title for this album. Walk out and look at those bright stars, ignore the light rain, breath out into the cold night air and reflect; then ask yourself when was the last time you last heard an album this good?

on 25 May 2016
This album bears a closer resemblance to that ineffable something I'd hoped for when I was first enchanted by the pathos of Untitled #1, from I Am Kloot's eponymous album. There was a guileless modesty and charm to that song, that I was never to recover from, after first hearing it. It lodged itself in the part of my brain that deals with emotional sensation and it never left.

A good few years after buying the eponymous album, which of course is marvellous if you open yourself to it I acquired this album; Sky At Night. It is with much relief that I find an album, which stands up against the plangent tones of Untitled #1 and its accompanying tunes on the eponymous album.

Sky At Night, for me, fulfils the promise of that earlier album; it all just sounds and feels more natural; more comfortable in its own skin.

I bought Let It All In, between the two albums above. I was not moved by it. I think because it just didn't feel like I Am Kloot. It seemed too polished.

Sky At Night has saved the day for me, as far as I Am Kloot goes. It's what I signed up for.
on 17 May 2010
A mature, beautiful record. Each song's a little snapshot of a mans life. Honest and real. Fantastic arrangements, the 3 piece augmented by Guy Garvey's backing vocals, graceful string arrangements and sensitive atmospherics all there to enhance the poignancy of the storytelling.
on 16 February 2014
I bought this on whim after hearing it once at work, having somehow never heard before of I Am Kloot. Five weeks later, I find I'm enjoying it more and more. There's nothing fancy about the album, good songs, good lyrics, good tunes; all excellently played and pleasantly understated. My favourite tracks are The Moon is a Blind Eye, Radiation, Fingerprints and Northern Skies. There aren't any mediocre tracks or fillers. I'm surprised that I Am Kloot aren't better known. Maybe they're a little too reflective and subtle for the mass market. But I'm delighted with this sample of serendipity. Strongly recommended.
on 28 June 2010
I have been lucky enough to hear the new album played live in it's entirety at a recent I am Kloot gig in Manchester.
The songs are well crafted & breathtakingly beautiful with lush orchestration and production by Elbow's Guy Garvey and Craig Potter.
If you haven't bought an I am Kloot album previously then take the plunge with this one & you'll soon be hooked.
Can't rate the album highly enough.
on 16 April 2015
I have only recently heard this band and purchased this album and what a good choice but I have to ask the question Why does this band get no air play I get fed up listening to the same old music played because of play lists on the radio
on 10 September 2010
I've long been an admirer of the songwriting skills of John Bramwell, who is in my humble opinion one of our most skilled lyricists. With me also being a fan of Elbow (this was co-produced by Guy Garvey and Craig Potter), I was eager to get my ears around this album to see how the partnership fared (mates don't always make great working partners...trust me!!).

I think 2010 has been a pretty damn good year for music (well, the type I like anyhow!) and I've been impressed with The National, Cherry Ghost, Laura Marling, Joanna Newsom, Tracey Thorn amongst others....but SKY AT NIGHT absolutely blew me away. The songs have a warm depth, lyrically profound as you would expect, but with a more 'complete' sound than on previous IAK offerings. It is an obvious comparision, but the arrangements and layering of sound is very Elbowesque, but for me, it's less dramatic and more melancholic..if that makes any sense!

Stand out tracks for me....I STILL DO, which is has a gentle unasuming flow to it..absolutely beautiful, and THE MOON IS A BLIND EYE.

All in all...an absolute GEM of a album, and I hope this is the one that gives them the rewards they deserve. After all, critical aclaim don't pay the rent....BUY THIS ALBUM!!!
on 23 February 2012
For fans of I am Kloot this mini-review will be wasted as you will doubtless have dived online or into your local store to buy this as soon as it was released. And it doesn't disappoint. Following on from the excellent "Play Moolah Rouge" they simply do not put a foot wrong with their high quality brand of melancholic, wistful songwriting.

For the uninitiated this is a band that deserves a chance. Granted they are unlikely to get you onto the dancefloor, but if you want an album to kick back and drift to, there are few bands to match them. Sky at Night starts strongly and peaks mid album with the simple yet gorgeous "I Still Do," but in truth every song on the album earns its place. Just give it a go!
on 19 July 2012
The highest praise I can give this album was that it was my favourite of 2010.

I could recommend this album to anybody who likes Elbow, which isn't surprising when it was produced by Garvey & Potter- the beautiful orchestral sounds are extremely Elbowesque but added to this is Bramwell's voice which is even better meaning that the lyrics are even more touching.

The album remains at a consistently high level and the epic 'Radiation' completes a rounded album in style.

This is the only record I've ever really cared about winning awards. Unfortunately it didn't!