on 25 September 2012
I normally enjoy paranormal romances but this one really did not do it for me.
The lead female reminded me of those idiot females that used to be in the old movies where the woman kept screaming and always had to rely on the men - in her case any available male, along with leading them on but then backing off tease is what such females are usually called, and its not nice.
She's supposed to be a powerful witch for heavens sake not a simpering idiot, added to that of someone writing as though they know the U.K. and how we talk etc, should have stuck with being American, might work for Americans dosn't work in UK

From this example I doubt I'll be reading any more of H.P.Mallory
on 13 July 2012
I enjoy a wide range of writing styles but found myself struggling with this book. Whether it was the characture of the English leads (poppet being a particular example which I have not heard in anything other than pirates of the carrabean) or the rather improbable attraction Jolie seems to have to nearly every male she meets in the book (and this is what really wound me up) and NEVER does anything about it!

I just could not engage and in fact skipped through a bit in the middle thinking how pathetic she was. Sorry but this could have been so much better!
on 10 January 2014
The book was a nice, lighthearted read. I got interested when I picked it up, and I had no problem putting it down when I wanted to do something else. What ticks me off, is that the book had no ending and left you a bit high and dry on the storyline. If you want to know what happens next, you must buy the next book. I consider this a bit of a cheap method of trying to sell books. Nothing in the title nor description indicated it would end mid-plot. So, I'll not bother buying anything by this author again.
on 7 May 2013
I found this fairly easy to read and didn't take much effort. As some reviewers have commented, some typos and grammar errors, these I can forget as it didn't really spoil the story, but...

Lines and ideas pinched from other films ('I see dead people' & the setting/idea straight from 'Brigadoon') & books does show a knowledge of what's out there, however, it does get a bit annoying - where's the originality? - as this is obviously done in other books (chapter excerpt at the end of this one) and after starting 'To Kill a Warlock' it felt like I was reading a continuation of 'Fire Burn & Cauldron Bubble', so maybe I'll not get much further with this one.

Two things I cannot forgive or forget, hence the review. First of all, HP Malloy, Mr Rochester, emphatically DOES NOT live in Wingfield Hall the book may well have been filmed there, but his house is Thornfield Hall & you talk about Clootie Dumpling then go on to describe them eating stew - clootie dumpling is not a stew. Please check your facts especially when quoting classic literature or naming a specific thing in order to add authenticity - sorry but it leaves me annoyed and makes me think the author is either uncaring who they upset or just to lazy to check up.

That said, if you have no idea about Mr Rochester or clootie dumpling or they myriad of other references to films/books then you will find it a good enough read as the story flows reasonably well & worth the free download - not sure I'd want to pay full price for it and I don't think it will be one of my 'keepers' (like 'Jane Eyre') to re-read at a later date.
on 18 November 2012
A not terribly well written story which is being draaaaaagged along. Heroine discovers she's a witch with a never-seen-before and much coveted ability. Is in love with her new protector, who loves her too but somehow they never make up. Despite that 'true love that never quite manages to realise itself' relationship, she still lusts after every vampire or werewolf that crosses her path. To the point that you just want to tell her to get a move on, get laid and be done with it.
How many times can an author use 'really hot' to describe a character and get away with it? according to this book, quite a few.
75% through it, I was reading 2 lines out of every page and still cursing the slow pace.
I honestly could not believe all the great reviews this book got. Sometimes you have to wonder whether the publisher hasn't got a few Amazon accounts created just to bump up the rating of their products. That, or the author has got some really supportive friends.
But don't take my word for it. If you like a trashy read with a lot of horniness but no sex, are quite allergic to long words (i.e. more than 7 letters) and enjoy a book that ends before the story has made any satisfactory progress, then this is for you!
Thank goodness it was free.
on 13 June 2011
When I first got this book (I bought the kindle version), I thought it was a YA fantasy book... I was wrong, it was definitely more chick lit meets fantasy than for very young adults. It's got a smattering of rather sexy scenes in it and quite a few swear words... not that it matters to me of course. I'm a big girl, I can handle it ; )
The book was far better than I thought it would be. In fact, it was excellent. Beautifully written, the story flowed particularly well and the characters were just so cool. I did think it was amusing that almost all of the men in the book were mightily sexy, all smouldering good looks and a tad on the horny (!) side though. But I'm assuming that it was written like that on purpose, a bit tongue in cheek, if you get my drift?
The story follows Jolie Wilkins, a medium who discovers there is much more to her talent than originally meets the eye. In comes Rand, a gorgeous hunk of a man who isn't actually a man, but a warlock. You can probably imagine the kind of things they get up to, and you'd be almost all right. Fire Burn and Cauldron Bubble is a must-read. I would recommend it to everyone old enough to be reading this kind of thing!
on 20 December 2013
I really liked the Dulcie Oneill novels, and bought Fire, Burn and Cauldron because they were written by the same author. I was disappointed.
While Dulcie is a strong, sashy,and packs a punch; Jolie is weak, silly, immature and a tease. In fact I really disliked the 'heroine' of the book and the main character. She lacks substance and personality.
Romance - well not in my eyes. Not that she isn't attracted to many of the male characters and they aren't attracted to her - the book is full of her thoughts on these creatures to the point every time a new male character arrives we see her whimpering in their beauty.
The story had such promise alias it didnt reach expectations.
on 11 November 2010
Jolie Wilkins is a psychic who is living life quietly running her fortune telling shop until the mysterious Rand, a warlock, turns up on her doorstep and everything changes forever. Offered a job she can not refuse Jolie travels to Chicago where she discovers her special talent. It is this special talent which causes her to be drawn into a world of vampires, magic and mayhem! Watch out for a fun and fast paced journey into this world as Jolie learns about her new life!

Jolie is a very likeable character, she seems very normal (well except the seeing auras bit and all that) and manages to remain so despite all the incredible things which happen to her once she is plunged into the supernatural world after working for Rand.

Rand is everything an alpha urban fantasy male should be. Mysterious, hot and more than a little difficult at times, but genuine and wonderful with Jolie.

Fire Burn & Cauldron Bubble is set for the main part in England, this is quite unusual for an urban fantasy book but I loved it (being English!!) and thought H.P. Mallory captured England very well. Pelham Manor's description reminded me of many manor houses I've seen (I live fairly close to where Pelham Manor is set) and brought it to life wonderfully.

I liked how the characters seemed well rounded and very real to me, not just Rand and Jolie. I felt I knew exactly what Jolie's best friend Christa looked like and was like. The descriptions of how different people saw the fairies was very interesting. Also watch out for the vampire Sinjin, is he what he seems to be?

I really enjoyed Fire Burn & Cauldron Bubble, it is excellent fun, sexy and a fast paced read. I am looking forward to the next book in the Jolie Wilkins series, we are left with plenty of questions to keep us coming back!
on 17 November 2014
From the very first chapter it was evident that the author was trying to insert romance into the book in a most unnatural way. It interrupted the flow of dialogue and seemed completely out of place with the narration being entirely 1st person by the main character with extremely frequent "ooh he's hot" digressions which seemed forced and made the storytelling slow and disjointed. The romance was entirely unnecessary, yet ended up being the focus of every new chapter, with endless streams of men who seem to think the main character is amazing for reasons beyond the reader/

For readers of supernatural fantasy the works of L K Hamilton are likely familiar, to this story her later works which focused on bad romance with minimal plot would be reminiscent. The main character has multiple besotted males of various species constantly complementing her for little apparent reason, who constantly tell her how amazing she is and how they must have her, while the plot is short, poorly told and unremarkable. This seems like a trashy, light, plotless, holiday-read, fantasy romance aimed at less intelligent readers.

With regards to the audio recording of the book- The narrator reads every sentence as if it has a ! at the end of it, her voice making each sentence! an exclamation! valley girl trait like oh my gawd! Which gets old very quickly. Several characters were supposed to have English accents...needing quite a bit of work, which was fitting since the author seems to need to do quite a bit of work finding out about England if she's going to write about it.

There are more books in the series but I have no compulsion to explore them,the author has completely put me off!
on 20 January 2013
FIRE BURN AND CAULDRON BUBBLE (Jolie Wilkins #1) by H.P.Mallory

FIRE BURN AND CAULDRON BUBBLE is the first storyline in H.P.Mallory's Jolie Wilkins's series. Jolie is a 28 year old who believes she is psychic and has the ability to see people's auras-their life forces. But the day the handsome Rand Balfour stepped into her parlor all bets were off. He needed Jolie to help him discover who killed his client's father, and with that, he announced she was a witch.

Rand Balfour is a warlock. As the head of the British coven, Rand needed Jolie to go back in time to the 1920's looking for a killer. Finding the dead man was easy, but bringing him back to present day -alive- was a surprise. Jolie Wilkins could apparently re-animate the dead.

When the news about her powers reached the supernatural Underworld, Jolie would find herself on the most- wanted list in a war between the species. Each with their own agenda, Jolie was the prize. With her new found ability, the leaders of the warring factions needed her powers. And to make matters worse, she was told she was much more than a witch.

The relationship between Rand and Jolie was tenuous. There was instant chemistry between the pair, but Rand was ambivalent about pursuing a physical relationship. Claiming to be her protector, Rand denied his feelings saying they were now working together and he could not compromise that trust. But the real reason would soon become evident when Rand confesses his reasons as to why. With the mixed signals, Jolie refused to wait around for Rand to make up his mind. But when she was asked to re-animate the fallen werewolf pack leader, she would find herself being wooed by a wolf for all the wrong reasons.

Sinjin Sinclair is a powerful master vampire. When Jolie finds herself trapped with another vampire, she will soon discover, that she has become the pawn in a game between the supernatural powers. And Sinjin's apparent relationship with her abductor became more confusing when Jolie found herself on the run, with Sinjin by her side.

In the upcoming war between the supernatural powers, each side was trying to align itself with the most powerful and having Jolie would help to re-populate the different species with some of their most powerful-albeit dead-ancestors. But when one of the most powerfully gifted supernatural powers refused to get involved, Rand had a plan that would inevitably place Jolie in a fight for her life.

FIRE BURN AND CAULDRON BUBBLE is an amazing start to H.P. Mallory's Jolie Wilkins series. The storyline is well-paced, the character development is smooth and entertaining, and the relationship between Rand and Jolie frustrated the hell out of me..lol. They are perfect for one another.

see all of my reviews at : thereadingcafe(dot)com