4.0 out of 5 stars A back-to-college revolution!
I'm preparing to start a college course this autumn and I've had this Livescribe ECHO 8GB pen a week now. I feel strangely optimistic about the whole affair, now that my pea-like memory and tortoise-like note writing skills have got the ECHO to fall back on. I've used it every day, including for some serious note taking with audio (though not in a busy lecture hall as...
Published on 8 Aug 2010 by D. J. Preston

3.0 out of 5 stars Great device but not a major improvement on the Pulse
I purchased the Livescribe Pulse when it first came out in the US in Aug 2008 and found the device excellent. My only issues were that the pen was uncomfortable to write with for extend periods, too chunky and the writing experience poor (pen cartridges overly priced). It was a relief to see an upgrade which I quickly purchased. Unfortunately, the Echo did not address the...
Published on 2 Sep 2010 by Dazza

4.0 out of 5 stars A worthy purchase, 15 Jun 2011
This review is from: Livescribe 8 GB Echo Smartpen (Office Product)
This is written after 3 days use, but my immediate reaction is to recommend the pen. This may seem like an extortionate amount to spend on a pen, especially one which can have a number of reasonable criticisms levelled at it, however on balance I feel that its merits outweigh its shortfalls.

I work in a job which requires me to take notes in meetings with people upon topics with which i often have limited familiarity, where they are experts. This means that I am regularly behind the kerb as it were - previously i had to expend all my effort noting the meetings without actually having a chance to digest the information and ask questions. Now I can take brief notes and listen during the meeting, allowing me to flesh out my notes after the meeting. Arguably this could be done with a bic biro for 30p and a sony voice recorder for 30 pounds, however the livescribe solution is far more elegant and easy. It allows you to skip to exact sections of the meeting simply by touching the relevant part of the page with the pen nib. You can go back to a meeting a year previously in a different note book and tap the page to immediately hear what was said at that point.

I have not uploaded my notes to computer and to be honest would be extremely impressed if my illegible scrawl came out legibly on a computer. Therefore if and when I use that feature it will be a bonus if it works. I will not be attempting the convert to text feature a I can guarantee it will not recognise my handwriting.

So in summary:

- records audio in conference room/meeting context well (haven't tested lecture theatre, though that is an available microphone setting)
- playback is plenty loud enough, the pen is responsive to instructions to skip forward or backwards during playback. (some people have mentioned that there is a scratching noise picked up by the microphone as you write - there is, but i do not notice it and it doesn't obscure the speaker.)
- it is easy to set up and use, i would happily recommend it to a technophobe
- in the UK the refills are hard to come by and expensive, and the quality of the ink is relatively low - think regular biro, but this isnt an issue for me, it works fine.
- you have to buy special livescribe notebooks. They aren't cheap, but if cost outweighs the benefits then you aren't the sort of person to spend 150 quid on a pimped out biro in the first place.
- though fatter than most pens, it isn't uncomfortable to use. Of course you'll get cramps if you use it for ages, but thats the same with all pens and the more you use this the less this will affect you. I did have to wrap a bit of sellotape around the middle to prevent the ridge of the join in the middle of the pen from rubbing on my hand as i wrote, but that solved the issue easily
- the cap is easy to lose, so put it in your pocket when not on the pen.

Most other points have been covered adequately by other reviewers. If you are a regular note taker at university or in your job I do think this is seriously worth considering.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very useful product, 4 Jun 2011
This review is from: Livescribe 8 GB Echo Smartpen (Office Product)
The pen is pleasant to write with, some people may find it a bit chunky but I feel that this makes me write a little slower than usual and makes my writing a bit more legible. I used it to record an interview while taking notes and found it very useful to be able to click on a section of my notes and hear the exact words being spoken at the time. The Myscript software works well and can even read my writing and convert it to text, which is more than most humans can. Recording quality is very good and playback is remarkably clear through such a small speaker.

5.0 out of 5 stars Livescribe pen, 8 Feb 2011
This review is from: Livescribe 8 GB Echo Smartpen (Office Product)
I have been looking at this type of note taker for some time, and have looked at many options. Despite the price, which is a bit high in my view for students and others, it is a sound investment. I have now been using it for over a month and it does everything it says it does and very well indeed. In meetings and conferences it captures sound, voices and questions. Sometimes you have to experiment with the audio settings, but it does a very good job. This is definitely not appreciated until you have experienced it. To go back over your notes, which tend of course to be cryptic when things get interesting, and be able to hear exactly what was said and the way it was said, is invaluable to getting a proper appreciation of the actual meeting and context of the notes.

I would recommend this pen and system without question.

4.0 out of 5 stars Livescribe Echo 8Gb Smartpen, 29 Jan 2011
This review is from: Livescribe 8 GB Echo Smartpen (Office Product)
Ideal for all its uses. Have made use of this in meetings and has linked up well with my computer

3.0 out of 5 stars Does a job but..., 29 Jan 2013
This review is from: Livescribe 8 GB Echo Smartpen (Office Product)
It's ok. The pen works as expected, it writes, records and you can capture the text online, even OCR it with the right software.the disappointing aspect is that you must use the special paper. You cannot use it with normal note pads, well not for recording and capture anyhow. You can print paper,but I find having a load of loose sheets round is not good and it's easier to just use a pad.

I guess it has a place and those who are writing books, making journal notes, meeting notes will find this very useful.....just not so useful for the average Joe!

1.0 out of 5 stars Does not work., 11 Aug 2013
Mustafa Feroze "mufer" (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Livescribe 8 GB Echo Smartpen (Office Product)
I just cannot get it working, followed all instructions still no luck . Sheer waste of money . Will not recommend it .

4.0 out of 5 stars Rapid delivery, 31 Oct 2011
This review is from: Livescribe 8 GB Echo Smartpen (Office Product)
I received the item the day after it was ordered.
I was very impressed by the quick delivery.
The item is a birthday gift and therefore I cannot comment yet on the efficiency of the livescribe.
So for delivery I would give 5 stars. As for the item, still remains to be seen.

1.0 out of 5 stars Beware !, 23 Oct 2011
This review is from: Livescribe 8 GB Echo Smartpen (Office Product)
I am writing to all M.P.s concerning quite exspensive gimmicks for computors, for example there is a product out there being sold and used by the education authority called a Smartpen Echo. I feel that there should be an investigation and a debate in the commons to have gimmicks like this banned from being sold with out the full infomation being given. This product like many needs a high moderate understanding of computor downloading and error solving procedures. The market is being flooded by these gimmicks now and many people buy them cannot solve the software issues and are dumped in a draw because there not broke so no rights for a refund is eligable.

The back up
and support is a slow email giving reams of nerdy compuspeak about C registry and open files and re-writing instructions deep in the programming of the software in ones computor, which is way beyond many people comprehension.

WITH OUT THIS KNOWLEDGE YOUR SMART PEN WILL BE AN EXSPENSIVE RECORDER WITH INK IN IT !

thewoody57@hotmail.com please join with me to lobby M.P. s for proper warning and infomation on these high priced gimmicks

Livescribe 8 GB Echo Smartpen