on 10 January 2012
The book is a very thorough instructional guide on how to de-clutter your home, minimise your possessions and live a simple and more meaningful existence. The structure is clear - the author starts by explaining different reasons for and benefits of adopting a minimalist lifestyle, she then goes on to give thorough instructions on how to clear each room in your home. Because she gives a chapter for each room, at times it seems repetitive but the plus side is you can dip in and out of the book and some of the advice she gives is very specific and useful - particularly for the kitchen and bathroom. The book ends with useful and concise final chapters to help simplify your life. I would recommend Leo Babuata's book The Power of Less along with this purchase.
on 4 June 2012
I've read this lady's blog, and I enjoy her writing and approach to modern minimalism.
I was really looking forward to reading the book, especially because of the good reviews. I appreciate the concepts that this book introduces, and I would love to follow through on all the advice within my life.

However I have to admit that I started to read the book and gave up half way through due to boredom. It's repetitive, and although that may be useful to drive the message home, it feels to me like it's been drawn out to create a book. Let's just put this down to me being a quick learner, and having absorbed the lessons in the introductory part of the book, without having to go through the principles on a room by room basis.

The price was good, and I do not feel like I have wasted my money. Furthermore, I will be loaning this book to my mother, who I think will benefit from the book immeasurably!!!
on 11 February 2015
As a minimalist de-clutterer of many years' standing, I have read several books on the topic, and wasn't really expecting much in the way of fresh ideas and concepts; I was attracted to 'The Joy of Less' initially by the beautiful jacket. And I'm so glad I was, as I thoroughly enjoyed both the content and Francine Jay's very readable style. The range of the book is wider than merely a practical guide to the physical process of de-cluttering, although this is covered with efficiency and enthusiasm; Francine Jay also encourages the reader to think about usage, wastage, wanting things for the wrong reasons, analysing the all but irresistible attraction of buying stuff, and many other thought-provoking topics.

This book really echoes my own life philosophy. I like space and air around me, and often feel physically ill at ease in places where clutter has taken over (someone suggested this was to do with the clutter blocking the flow of chi, but my jury's out on that one). I do find it odd, though, that every time I mention I've been having a tidy-out, or people come to my house and remark on the clear, airy spaces, the usual comment is 'Oh, you should see our place! We so need to have a clear-out!' Then why not do it? What on earth holds people back? People say they couldn't contemplate parting with Object X as it belonged to great-grandfather, yet when Object X is in an ancient bin liner right at the back of the attic, what's the point of hanging on to it? Somebody, some day, is going to have to deal with it. Why shouldn't that someone be you?

I would love this book to be widely read. It is written with understanding and compassion, yet neither of these fine qualities is allowed to dilute the strong message. I wish the author good luck in perpetrating the benefits of less; I'm right behind her.
on 30 May 2014
This book is OK. I wanted to read something about minimalism and this served its purpose. However, it's really just chapter after chapter of this: go to a room in your house, take out all the stuff, put back what you really want, get rid of the rest, organise the stuff you do keep, don't get more stuff.
on 28 March 2012
I have read some 'clutter-clearing' books in my time,but this one ! Boy, it makes soo much sense. It looks at clutter-clearing as I've never read before. This book is all I need for the rest of my entire life. It goes deep, it looks at the problem sideways, inside out, up and over, it's very readable and flows naturally. Brilliant.
on 14 July 2013
I’m working my way through this after reading "Miss Minimalist" by the same author. I was struggling with my decision not to buy any new clothes this year as I have plenty already but reading Francine Jay's books has turned off the desire to buy and I can look at clothes and admire them (if out with other people) but not want to buy for myself. It's the same with other items too.

I'm still not good at getting rid of things but certainly can look around and see I don't need to buy much apart from food and transport.

Most of what she says is common sense. I've often found de-cluttering seems like losing something but looking at it in a positive way and seeing the space gained and the peace of mind that comes with a minimalist view seems like the way forward.
on 3 August 2013
As you read this book you will find yourself decluttering before you finish the book. It is for everyone who needs encouragement to get started. Francine Jay's no nonsense way of writing and her advice is so good. Great book for such a small price. It literally can change how you think about all those possessions you just don't need any more.
on 25 December 2015
I never write book reviews but this one is sooooo fantastic, I want more people to discover it!!! It#s not about how to organize your stuff using baskets and containers, its about the philosophy behind living with just as much as you need. At times the tidying tips sounded a bit patronizing to me ( I'm probably being sensitive, as it is ME who wanted advice on how to declutter!! :-)) but the last chapter was such a eye opener, I think I will read it over and over again. Should you get bored of tidying half way through, jump straight to the last chapter before offering the book to your local library. If you are worried about the environmental and human cost of our consumerist society and need motivation to tackle your clutter and find alternatives to retail therapy, then this book is a MUST!!!!
on 23 May 2016
hi
I already had the older copy of this book and loved it so I was really excited to see that there was a new edition. I check on the authors website and from what I could gather it was the same book but with some new chapters and ideas. I purchased said book and to my disappointment it is word for word the same chapters and information the only difference is a longer introduction and the very odd little word changed in a sentence., so now I have two copies of a decluttering book which is an oxymoron if ever there was one. I hope the author will write a new book in the future and not just rehash the first book she wrote. So if you have the first edition of the joy of less do not purchase the new one as it is the same book repackaged
on 22 August 2011
This book will not make you a minimalist overnight, but it will make you think,really think about the stuff you own, and why you own it. It is a good stepping stone to a simple way of living. I would give this book 3 stars, as it could have had been a little more exciting in parts. Overall a good little read, but not a patch on the authors blog.