Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop Cyber Monday Deals Week in Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Amazon Fire TV Shop now DIYED Shop now Shop Fire Kids Edition Shop Kindle Voyage Listen in Prime Shop now Shop now

4.4 out of 5 stars1,095

on 22 March 2011
I bought this Kingston flashdrive mainly because I wanted a well-respected brand. It works just fine and is sturdy and well made, which is all you can really ask from a flashdrive. I like the retro 1960s Soviet-style design. From a practical point of view it is easy to insert and remove in USB sockets, thanks to ribbed side grips. Getting the protective cap off is not always easy as it is smooth, slippery and tapers away, so is hard to grip sometimes. And the drive won't attach to a normal keyring because the slot provided is too narrow. How difficult can it be to consider these basic things at the design stage?? But these are very minor niggles indeed. It's not obvious from the photos or the description, but there is a flashing transmit/receive light hidden under the Kingston logo. Overall I'm very pleased with this product. Quality at a reasonable price.
on 24 September 2011
Points about the drive
1. Colour is same as shown in pic.
2. Not much of packaging just simple plastic package(easy to open).
3. Made in China.
4. 5 years warranty.
5. LED blinks when drive is in use.

Plus point.
1. Well built, looks strong.
2. Comes with cap, not like other USB drive.
3. Read write speed is good.

Negative point.
1. Key ring won't go in the hole which is provided.
2. On laptops where two USB slot are very close to each other you won't be able to connect two USB drive at once due to it's shape.

Following is xbench read write test result on macbook pro 13.3 inch running Lion.

Results 10.53
System Info
Xbench Version 1.3
System Version 10.7.1 (11B26)
Physical RAM 4096 MB
Uncached Read 186.16 1.32 MB/sec [4K blocks]
Uncached Read 73.40 13.62 MB/sec [256K blocks]
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 12 December 2010
I bought this 8GB DataTraveler and a TDK TRANS-IT 8GB today. I only wanted one but I couldn't choose between them because neither had read/write specs. When I got home I benchmarked both to find out which I'll use and which will collect dust.

The Kingston Generation 3 8GB DataTraveller USB Drive reads at avg 11MB/seconds and writes at avg 5MB/second (4.5 - 6.3MB/sec)

The TDK USB 8GB Trans-IT Drive read at 21-23MB/second and wrote at avg 5MB/second.

If you don't plan on moving a lot of data in a rush then this device is a great deal. As a readyboost drive it more than meets the min specs. If you use your usb thumb drives a lot to move a lot of data then look for a faster one, there are a lot out there.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 18 May 2011
Bought a couple of these; 1 to backup my work PC and 1 for home use. Nice quality plastic moulding with small ribs on each edge so you can grip it easily. The colour denotes the memory size (eg yellow=8Gb). The case seems pretty tough - you would have to be a bit of an animal to break it in normal use. The cap clicks on ok, but prone to getting lost just like most other USB sticks on the market. The slot in the case for attaching a key ring is very narrow, probably only 1mm, so check this out if its important. It lights up when being accessed. Speed is not that important to me, however I have several other makes of USB stick and this one seems no slower or faster. Superfast delivery and ultra-low price from indigostarfish. What more can I say? Does the job. I would the buy same again if I need any more.
on 15 October 2010
I bought this memory stick as i have a much older 2Gb version that has performed faultlessly, and have not been disappointed.
Fast upload and download speeds as i expected from Kingston. Highly recommended.
on 5 January 2012
I have used a Kingston 2gb USB flash drive in the past and was not disappointed with this 16gb one as its just as good as my old one. The casing is a white plastic one with a removable cap and what appears to be a smart blue rubber grip on either side of it to facilitate easy insertion and removal from your USB port. This is a Kingston Generation 3 drive - it is not a USB 3 drive so the data transfer speeds are the usual USB2 ones, which is fine for my use.

Yes the removable cap at the top (which hides the usb connection and keeps it dust free) can be lost if you don't forget to clip it back on are of a careless nature. But I have never had that problem with any of my USB flash drives because I always guard my USB sticks carefully as they contain personal data and so its unlikely I will ever lose a USB stick or its cap. Yes the slot at the end is too thin to enable the USB stick to be inserted into a key ring but who would want to insert a 16GB disk into a key ring and risk damage or theft of so much data?

The USB drive comes formatted in FAT32 and shows a formatted capacity of 14.9GB. I was going to format it to NTFS to gain a bit more formatted storage space but on researching the topic on the net realised that it was best to leave it at FAT32. The USB drive has a green flashing LED in the centre to indicate data transfer.

With the progression to USB3 I suspect prices of this and other USB2 drives will continue to fall in the future, but I am happy with this purchase and have no hesitation in recommending this drive to anyone who expects the usual Kingston reliability and performance.
on 15 December 2010
I worked in an IT department for some years and we always found Kingston memory extremely reliable. I presently back up about 4GB to this USB Drive in as long as it takes to make a cup of tea. It's not realistic to expect much better than that.
on 21 February 2012
Very disappointed. I have had many Kingston DataTraveler sticks in the past, and have just upgraded to this one from my 16gb on. In comparison to that one, the design is poorer for the following reasons:
1. There is nowhere to connect a lanyard through the body once the red handle has broken (as mine inevitably do)
2. The body is smooth and slightly convex meaning you can't really grip it anywhere but on the red ridge
3. Because it is so difficult to hold, removing the cap is more difficult.
4. The metal sleeve is slightly loose inside the plastic shell and 'rattles' slightly.

None of this would bother me too much if I didn't have software issues. Every time I insert the stick into a USB port the PC (and I've tried 3 - 1 Win7, 2 XP) auto detects new hardware. *Every time*. Sometimes it even chucks up a message saying I need to reboot to complete the installation!

I have been in contact with Kingston who suggested the stick was faulty. So I returned it using Amazon's excellent returns mechanism and a few days later had a replacement that also rattled and demonstrated the same software faults. I am awaiting fresh ideas from Kingston tech support.

I may just be unlucky, and both sticks may be part of a 'bad batch', but this has certainly dented my faith in Kingston products and I shan't be so determined to stick with them in future.

Needless to say, Amazon's service has been up to its usual superb standards.

*** UPDATE ***

After some discussions with excellent (English) Kingston tech support team I returned 2nd stick to them directly. Within a couple of days I received a replacement which works perfectly! Therefore it would seem Amazon are in receipt of a bad batch of these from which I received two. Might be worth obtaining your stick from somewhere else! I have upgraded my original 1-star to 3-stars.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 19 November 2010
The drive functions much like any other when operating.

I have a real gripe with Kingston R&D who have designed the outer casing for this devise. The G3 is wider and deeper than the G2 models an does not sit side by side with another USB devise on my laptop. Surely they know the maximum width available? The G2 were perfect! I 'converted' this to be the same width as my old ones using a concrete block and some sand paper.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 8 June 2012
Kingston Memory Cards are amongst the best on the market (I have an old 4gb one still working well), HOWEVER.....

Be aware that there are many counterfeits of this, and other USB pens about (I got a fake Toshiba). If you have a 32gb pen, and it struggles to hold, or corrupts data, then this is likely. Typically these will be an 8gb usb pen that has been hacked to show 32gb (even on your computer), but will corrupt anything over ~6-7gb of data.

The only way to really tell the true capacity of your card is with a program called "H2testw 1.4", be warned this will take a long time to complete a test of a real card (3-4hrs), and even longer for a fake (24hrs, though after the 3-4hrs it was evident that the card was fake, as the errors started building then!).

Also check the following, which is specific to Kingston:
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse