5.0 out of 5 stars Dexter is still on top - Lithgow's finest hour?
Published on 31 Dec 2010 by M. C. Whiting

3.0 out of 5 stars More Dismemberment!
Its odd how you can change your mind about a series but it does happen, sometimes quicker than expected. Dexter started out as a first rate series but now it seems just to be a never ending programme of gore and the more the merrier. It doesn't help that Dexter has a foul mouthed sister who 'f's' and blinds non-stop but there is also none or very little script, most of...
Published 2 months ago by Mic the Greek

5.0 out of 5 stars Dexter is still on top - Lithgow's finest hour?, 31 Dec 2010
M. C. Whiting "cwhiting72" (NORFOLK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dexter - Season 4 [DVD] (DVD)
I got this DVD for christmas and what a season it is. Having watched Dexter since the first season was aired on ITV, I have been hooked. Fans of the show will know what I mean as Dexter is such an addictive show to watch. This is the first season I have seen straight on DVD and not on TV. As such, you naturally lose some of the suspense as you don't have to wait for the next episode to air.

Now, season 4 is very strong. It has different airs and graces compared to others but this is natural as I think we have to agree that each season of Dexter has its own distinctive feel, which is what keeps it so fresh. This season sees the arrival of a new serial killer, dubbed the Trinity Killer, played by the virtuosic John Lithgow. Lithgow is undoubtedly the star of the season and you will soon find that he illuminates (or should I say darkens) every single scene he is in. He is perhaps the creepiest character ever seen in the show and he even freaks Dexter out! Personally, I think Lithgow's performance makes the show here. Dexter seems to have lost his slick and cunning style we are so used to. This is no reflection on Michael C Hall as he is merely playing his part to perfection as the guy juggling too many balls. Lithgow oozes with cool, disturbia, violence, sympathy and evil all in equal proportions. Perhaps the finest performance by an actor in Dexter history.

I will not reveal any plot twists, as the show relies on them so much, but all I will say is that be prepared for some shocks and twists and turns as per usual with Dexter. The first few episodes are dominated by Dexter trying to balance his new family life with his job and his habit. I thought the baby would feature more heavily in the season but actually it is Astor and Cody who provide the most interest out of the children. There are some logistical changes due to Dexter's need to be at home with Rita all the time (I won't reveal them).

In terms of the other characters, again being careful not to reveal too much, Debra Morgan is given some great material to work with and is featured heavily. Also, I am thankful that she grew her hair back as I think it suits her better. Batista and LaGuerta are a bit wooden in this season and don't seem to be as involved in the main action although they still provide relief from the tension in other stories. Quinn. who arrive in season 3, is developed further in this season and, I think I can say this, is starting to slowly become Dexter's new Sargeant Doakes. Masuka is still providing his crude commentary throughout you will be glad to hear.

I am a Dexter fan who thought, truth be told, that season 3 was the weakest. I thought Miguel Prado was a welcome addition to the team but I thought it did not match up to the first and second seasons. It was only when season 3 got towards the end, ie when Prado became a killer Dexter was trailing, that the show caught fire. Dexter is at its best, for me, when there is a rival killer on the loose which puts Dexter under pressure and you get the whole admiration/hatred dilemma that faced him with the Ice Truck Killer. The 'man hunt' situation is when the show gets really gripping and that was what was missing for me in season 3 but, with Trinity on the loose, season 4 has that vibe again.

As I said, each Dexter season has a distinct feel about it. Comparably, this season is most similar to the first so if you love the first (personally season 2 is my favourite) then you will love this season. The presence of Trinity (though not Dexter's brother) gives the show that tension when you have the rivalling man hunts of the same man pursued by Dexter and his own homicide department. As always, Dexter has to pursue the killer whilst putting his colleagues and sister into an opposite direction. This is when the show is at its best and, with family demands, Dexter is finding this as hard as possible. The juggling act required of him means that Dexter is far more emotionally expressive in this season and loses it at times. There are many dramatic moments in this season and it is truly fantastic. Watch it. You must.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just gets better and better, 18 Aug 2010
This review is from: Dexter - Season 4 [DVD] (DVD)
After season 2 I was a little disappointed by the direction taken by the writers. The coincidences and plots were simply too far fetched to ask even the most willing viewer to suspend belief. That said series 3 picked up and was simply spectacular, right up there with Breaking Bad for some of the best TV you'll be fortunate to see.

A recent trip presented the opportunity to catch up on season 4 and I can honestly say Dexter has once again raised the bar. Dexter is married, has a young baby, growing stepchildren added to which a new predator is killing in Miami. The game is on.

Casting John Lithgow was inspired and he leaves a very memorable character in Dexter history.

It is just starting on TV (FX) but this is one you might very well wish to buy. Outstanding.

5.0 out of 5 stars 3rd rock from the sun goes evil, 30 Mar 2011
This review is from: Dexter - Season 4 [DVD] (DVD)
fans of 3rd rock from the sun will remember john lithgow as fun and goofy not any longer...... john lithgow rocks dexter to the core and in turn we get amazing compulsive viewing. not one bad filler episode and one cracking season finale. do not watch any special features etc until you have seen all episodes. enjoy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Just stunning, 26 Mar 2011
This review is from: Dexter - Season 4 [DVD] (DVD)
As a fan of the first 3 series of Dexter and enjoying them all, I was expecting season 4 to be equally good but certainly not as amazing as it was!! Gripping from the outset it is full of tension, twists and turns. The performances of Michael C Hall and John Lithgow (as serial killer Trinity) are mesmerising and make it the season to remember. The supporting cast remain stellar, particularly Jennifer Carpenter as hard knock sister Deb and Julie Benz as long suffering but optimistic and lovable wife Rita. Just when you think Dexter has the measure of Trinity there is one final twist. The ending is one of the most profound and moving bits of television I think I've seen....and shocking!! I had goosebumps and felt uneasy for days after. The only question is how are the writers going to match such brilliance with season 5. Yet to see it in the UK, hopefully soon....

5.0 out of 5 stars FOOD FOR THOUGHT, 14 Mar 2011
Mr. D. L. Rees "LEE DAVID" (DORSET) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Dexter - Season 4 [DVD] (DVD)
Another strong season. Baby Harrison deprives Dexter of sleep, he making mistakes at work - some of them serious. Chief adversary this time round is the Trinity Killer (chillingly played by John Lithgow). Dexter is disturbed to recognize in him too many aspects of himself and fears he may similarly become deranged attempting to keep separate two ways of life. Could he have made a fatal misjudgment - complications abounding with a wife, her two children and now a baby?

Michael C. Hall, as ever, is excellent as Miami's bloodsplatter expert - secretly ensuring retribution for murderers who thought they had got away with it. The ghost of his cop dad remains at hand to advise. Some may consider the subplot of romance between two senior officers a ploy to eke out episodes, but the season contains tension, gore and surprises in abundance - more than enough to satisfy.

12 episodes, the last one with commentary. Bonuses show how stunts and grisly effects were achieved. There is also a quiz to see how closely we have been following. Especially enjoyed was the chat between Lithgow and Hall - chemistry evident, which made their many scenes together so riveting.

With a great central performance, so much humour and style, the series captivates. Should we really be so much on the side of a serial killer? Dexter's good nature, charm and vulnerability make him hard to resist.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!, 7 Feb 2011
L. Duncan "Leah" (Devon, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dexter - Season 4 [DVD] (DVD)
I was worried Dexter would start running out of new material- how much scope is there to surprise and entertain for 4 series? Well this series is actually my favourite to date. I have loved Dexter from the beginning and it seems to be getting better. Im not going to talk about the plot at all (that would just be mean) but the season finale is so shocking that I cannot wait for series 5.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dexter Season 4, 2 Feb 2011
Adam (Cambridge, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dexter - Season 4 [DVD] (DVD)
This is easily the best piece of TV I have ever watched. I won't spoil it; just say that there are numerous scenes and times over this series when I was literally speechless/terrified/held in general suspense.

I myself have watched Prison Break and 24 which are my 2 favourite TV Drama's aside from Dexter. I personally enjoyed series 1 of Prison Break and season 5 of 24 the most and I think this series of Dexter just ever so slightly tops them but that's just my opinion :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!!!!!!, 29 Jan 2011
This review is from: Dexter - Season 4 [DVD] (DVD)
This is the best show on TV and the best season of Dexter!!! The twist at the end had me speechless!!! Can't wait for season 5!!! Buy this DVD. You won't be disappointed!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars What a season and the ending helps the show come full circle..., 9 Dec 2010
This review is from: Dexter - Season 4 [DVD] (DVD)
I've had the privilege of watching Dexter since it first aired in September and 2006 and have been hooked by the unique premise of the show as well as the exceptional writing which is of a consistently high standard. The show is unusual as each season tends to get better and better. By now most of you will know that Dexter Morgan is a blood splatter analyst working for Miami PD during the day and a serial killer who operates using a 'code' by night.

I think one of the reasons is so successful is that Dexter (played by Michael C Hall) narrates the show at certain points and the audience has grown throughout each season much like the character of Dexter. I'm sure I'm like many of the other fans of the show rooting for Dexter not to get caught throughout each season. Each season has a story arc and builds towards a conclusion which neatly wraps up the events of the previous 12 episodes. Michael C Hall is excellent as Dexter and the ensemble cast is great too and each season they are also developed.

Season 4 picks up where Season 3 ended - Dexter is married (I wouldn't say happily as he still has issues) and I guess accepts his life to an extent with the birth of his son (Harrison) with Rita and being the father of the family. At the same time a serial killer called Trinity has started a killing spree again and Dexter becomes obsessed with the case and believes he can learn from this.

The season is jam packed full of drama and John Lithgow is an excellent addition to the case. I think it was the penultimate episode where they come face to face for the first time and boy do sparks fly. I don't think I've ever seen someone get under Dexter's skin quite like Trinity. The season much like the previous three builds to a great climax although the shocking finale helps bring the show full circle and in many ways will help the show remain fresh and innovative. I've had the privilege of watching some early episodes of season five and can confirm the show has lost none of its charm and is still as great back in Season 1.

Michael C Hall showed be commended on his protrayal of a very complex character who was born to play this role. I don't know how many more seasons are due to be made - but do wonder how the show will one day end. II have a feeling that Dexter will eventually die at some point as although I love the character and Michael C Hall I can't see how the writers can keep him alive. In many ways I can see parallels between Dexter and Michael Scofield in another of my favourite shows Prison Break. I quickly realised during the second season of PB that although Scofield had originally had the right intentions he had too much blood on his hands (metaphorically speaking) and Dexter is similar in that he's a flawed genius that will ultimately have to be killed/or die, probably at the hands of his masculine sister Deborah!

Dexter is one of best shows in recent times and deserves more recognition amongst the mainstream media. Here in the UK Seasons 1 and 2 were broadcast on ITV1 late during the evening and as a result never really built a following on terrestrial TV. Its a real shame as the show really is great and has largely become a hit in the UK because of FX and the release of seasons on DVD.

My final words - 'Dexter is king'.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best series yet - do not delay and watch!, 23 Jan 2011
This review is from: Dexter - Season 4 [DVD] (DVD)
This is the best series of Dexter yet - if you haven't seen series 1-3 yet then watch those first and then this one, you will not regret it! The acting really is complete class, I was hooked throughout and in particular the last two episodes were gripping. What an ending too, am still thinking about it now, roll on series five onto DVD please!

Dexter - Season 4 [DVD]
Dexter - Season 4 [DVD] by Michael C. Hall (DVD - 2010)
14.99