5.0 out of 5 stars Polaroid 52mm Macro Close Up 4 Piece Filter Kit with Case
Published on 2 July 2012 by Mr. Robert W. Rosamond

3.0 out of 5 stars fun first step to micro
Published on 20 Feb. 2012 by ussf

5.0 out of 5 stars Polaroid 52mm Macro Close Up 4 Piece Filter Kit with Case, 2 July 2012
Mr. Robert W. Rosamond (Nottingham) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
I am a photographer (ex pro now retired) of 60 years experience. I bought this kit as a try out before going on to a much more expensive option. I thought, at the price, the lenses would be fairly shoddy. I couldn't have been more wrong. These lenses are absolutely first class and I just cannot understand how they can be sold for the price. I won't be going on to the more expensive option.

I have recommended the kit to several friends who have bought it and are well pleased.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cost-effective macro lenses, 17 May 2013
Ok, so a set of £13 lenses are never going to give you top-notch quality... or are they??
I have taken dozens of shots with these lenses and so far the results have been very good(using a Nikon D3100)
Indeed, the end results surpass photos that I have taken with other cameras.

A few tips from this novice, to the other novices out there:
Yes, you can use more than one lens at a time, but the in-focus field of vision will get narrower with each additional lens you add - magnification of just 1x or 2x, is more than enough for close-up work... any more than that and you start to narrow the focus too much.

You may get some minor 'fish-eye' distortion around the edges (depending on how much magnification you are trying), but it doesn't really show on the photos I have taken.. it is more noticeable when you look through the viewfinder and move the camera around.

If you are using the 18-55mm lens, you can still zoom in/out as you would with any other shot.

For what they are and for the price you pay, I think these are a very good (re: cheap) way to take macro shots.
I have posted images on Flickr and have had some very good feedback on the quality of them.
I can understand some people might prefer a proper macro lens, but if like me, you are on a tight budget and the thought of shelling out for a pricey macro lens, leaves you cold, then give these a try..
for £13 or so, you can always chuck them if you think otherwise.

PS.. I will try to upload an image taken with one of these lenses, so that you can judge for yourselves.

4.0 out of 5 stars does the job, 15 July 2011
product is quite impressive. does the job. am new to using macro filters so don't get the point of a 1x filter. the 4x and 10x are perfect. my only criticism is that although all these filters are double threaded (can have further filters mounted onto them) due to the thickness of the 10x lense it's difficult to use it in combination with the others. mounting anything onto the 10x one is impossible, but it can (just about) be mounted onto the 4x one.

overall, i am satisfied with this product, would buy it again if i needed the filters again and i would recommend it to others. keep your expectations real and you won't be disappointed with this.

---- EDIT - Please read ----

Following Mr Malloy's comment, and on closer inspection, it does indeed look like the 10x filter does not have double screw threads (it can be screwed on top of other filters (i.e. furtherst away from the camera body) but it cannot have anything screwed on top of it).

Samples of what these filters are capable of (i have taken these using 10x mounted onto 4x mounted onto an 18-55mm lens on a canon 450D):

[...]

----------- further edit 01/02/15-----

I have purchased a ring flash and found that it does screw onto the front end of the 10x filter. if screwed too tight, it falls off, but if done so with a little care, it stays in place without any support. the ring flash is this one:

---------------------------------------

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality macro lenses., 26 Dec. 2011
G. Brewer (UK) - See all my reviews
These lenses are very good quality. I received these as a gift and tried them straight away. They fit on to my Nikon D5000 camera perfectly. They attach easily. The lenses are glass and superb quality. Before I even knew these lenses existed I was going to buy a full single macro lens. This has saved me a lot of cash! It comes in a neat case too with four separate net compartments for each lens in a compact case which slots easily into my camera kit bag. For me, being a casual photographer this has grabbed my interest in photography again. Polaroid are a big brand and they have excelled themselves with this great product. Try it, for little over a tenner it's quality.

5.0 out of 5 stars Polaroid 4-piece close-up filter kit, 5 April 2011
Does what it shows on the box, I have an Olympus E410. Filters can be combined and I found then to work very well. Thanks also to eHome for their help and advice.

5.0 out of 5 stars AMAZING ..., 25 Nov. 2014
I am in no way a photographer, but my line of work sometimes involves taking images of my own for my portfolio, or website content. Currently shoot with a Nikon 50mm, and I wanted something more close up, showing detail of my work. Heard a few reviews on this little filter kit, so I crossed my fingers and hoped they'd do exactly what they say on the box.
I've previously purchased a set off of ebay, and they were very poor quality (ended up binning them)

The Polaroid optics.... they're amazing. Quality is brilliant for the price. Still playing about with the lenses to see what I feel will be best for close ups of eye makeup and and lips, or general portraits. (If you have any tips with the gems, please share :P) I did try the 10x and found needed a more narrow aperture, and some good lighting. Not a photographer so I don,t have all the fancy lights etc. Im looking to purchase a macro ring light, you guys think I can attach that with filters??

Heres a picture of one of mums house plants .. I think its great- 50mm 10x filter f9.00 1-60sec.

Overall ... I'm happy

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, for its price !!, 10 Dec. 2011
E. D. Olinarez (Somerset, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
For the price you pay, these filters are very much worth it. The lenses seem to be made of good quality glass material, as it did not seem to diminish the capabilities of my Nikon 18-55mm lens. The 10x piece has captured decent shots of inanimate subjects (coins, flowers, etc.) and other stationary tiny insects (ie: ladybugs), with intense colours. You would, however, need to set your camera / lens focus to MANUAL, and would need to physically move your camera very near towards your subject (about 1 to 2 inches away), hence, you MAY not be able to photograph shy and agile subjects(ie: Dragonflies or Butterflies). It takes a bit of practice to get used to the "manual / physical" aspect of focusing, but you'll quickly get the hang of it after a few trial shots. The "main focus point" is at the center of the filter / lens and I noticed a great deal of lens vignetting (dimming / obscurity of detail) near the edges. I use these attachments, as a substitute for my rather bulky zoom lens, which also has macro-ability features. There is, however, no substitute for a proper macro lens (but most of which are quite expensive). I will try to post some shots of the ladybugs I took using these filters, for your reference.

4.0 out of 5 stars Four for the price of one..., 22 Sept. 2011
A camera lens has a minimum distance that it will focus to - any closer and you just get a blur. There are lenses that focus much closer, called macro lenses, but these are very expensive and are generally 1 focal length. Even zoom lenses that say they have a macro facility tend to offer it at only one length, normally the telephoto end.

These filters screw onto any lens, including zoom lenses, with a 58mm filter thread and reduce the minimum focal distance of that lens.

They are light and come in a sturdy, though soft, pouch, so you could take them with you - as a just in case - in the knowledge that they won't result in your camera bag feeling like you have added a small elephant. Something that cannot be said for many macro lenses.

Each filter slips into a mesh pocket in the pouch and they come shipped in individual plastic wrappers. I would have preferred these wrappers to have been a soft cloth as they are really just packing material and am not sure of the softness of the mesh. I guess it is unlikely to scratch the filter, but a bit of grit trapped in it could.

The minimum focal distance is reduced most by the +10 and least by the +1 filter. In use I have found that the higher strength filters also appear to reduce the area of focus across the image, though this could be due to the fact that depth of field (how much of a picture is in focus front to back) reduces the closer you get to the subject.

They do not appear to absorb much light so my camera settings were pretty constant whether I used the +1 or +10 filter. I couldn't detect anything in the way of distortion either, which was a nice surprise.

Given that you can buy one close-up filter for the price of these 4 the price is impressive.

Recommended for anyone who does not have, or does not want to buy a macro lens, but takes the occasional close-up of flowers, insects etc.

4 rather than 5 stars as the pouch, while made of ballistic material (no me neither) is soft, so a monopod or other hard object in a hastily packed bag could break a filter, and I am not sure about the mesh pockets.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just what I was looking for, 30 Jan. 2012
H M Watkins (Dorset United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I wanted to get into macro photography but can't yet afford a good quality macro lens for my Nikon D3000. I particularly wanted to take close-up photos of my friend's handmade jewellery for her new website. I'm really impressed with the results (and so is my friend!), being able to get really close and show the detail is vital. These lenses fit straight onto my kit lens and you can also stack them up (10x last as it's too convex to allow another one on top)to get massive magnification. The little storage case keeps them clean and safe, I really can't fault them and at this amazing price it's a very cheap way to start out in macro.

3.0 out of 5 stars fun first step to micro, 20 Feb. 2012
got them ages ago for my nikon zoom lens. it was fun trying out, spend a whole day in the field taking pics of bugs and flowers, but when i got home i noticed bit of ghosting and color fringing in the pics. the glass is just not that great. returned them, and now got myself a dedicated macro lens ( it is an investment but after i tried out micro i knew i had to get one)
so here is a tip, if you are amateur beginner and dont feel like spending a fortune on a lens, get it, have fun, learn.
and if you are a professional... actually a profesional would not bother looking at this as an option in the first place.

Polaroid Optics 62mm 4 Piece Close Up Filter Set (+1, +2, +4, +10)
Usually dispatched within 2 to 3 days