4.0 out of 5 stars The words that define a nation
Unlike the David Crystal version, this is a book about words that relate to English people and culture.

Goes from irony to sarcasm, encompasses eccentric and quaint and nudges up against queues and jobsworths. Has some grumbling and a jolly time before reaching for the toast.

Very good, and well worth a read
Published 23 months ago by Half Man, Half Book

3.0 out of 5 stars Hilarious, if not for the right reasons
Published on 26 Jan 2010 by Mindy

3.0 out of 5 stars Hilarious, if not for the right reasons, 26 Jan 2010
Mindy (Isle of Wight, UK) - See all my reviews
I received this book as a gift from my English wife because, as an American ex-pat, I am constantly fascinated by the differences in our respective languages. She was far more disappointed in it than I. It's not bad, so long as you ignore any and all references to American English. The author writes with authority, but his grasp of our usage of English is severely lacking. I found myself laughing out loud on multiple occasions.

Still, it's an entertaining read and, in parts, quite informative.

4.0 out of 5 stars The words that define a nation, 8 Aug 2012

Very good, and well worth a read

5.0 out of 5 stars Urbane erudition, 7 Sep 2009
I always love Tony Thorne's work, he combines dry wit with his own special brand of urbane erudition that illuminates every page. He's the kind of writer one would love to have at one's dinner table because you know his conversation would be both fascinating and entertaining.