5.0 out of 5 stars Fast cutting
I am not a carpenter, but I am an avid DIY enthusiast where I do some large jobs for people. So this review is based on DIY experience more than a craft/tradesman view point.

Published 8 months ago by SBno1

3.0 out of 5 stars Not that impressed!
I'm a Female DIY Fanatic and am buying tools everyday to restore my home!...

This Saw is Not bad for the price but felt a bit blunt after using it for the day...

I would probably look out for a better one and be happy to pay more for quality in the future.

:-)
Published 1 month ago by Mrs SarahPearl

5.0 out of 5 stars Fast cutting, 17 Feb 2014
SBno1 - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Stanley 1-20-090 500mm 20-inch Heavy-Duty Sharpcut Handsaw (DIY & Tools)

I got this to do a bamboo floor 4mx20m. For those who haven't handled it, bamboo flooring is like a hard wood. As this saw has about 7 teeth per inch (tpi) it gives a bit of a rough cut on softwood, but on the bamboo it was a bit better. I wasn't too worried about the finish as all cut edges were hidden under new skirting boards. If you are concerned about the edge, then try something with a few more tpi.

The saw did the job perfectly, fast and efficient, with just enough rigidity so that it didn't keep bending if it hit a harder patch. By the time I had finished the saw had life left in it for softwood and rough work and It could have done another hardwood floor, but you would have found the cuts to be getting a bit longer to do. Toward the end of the flooring job I could feel that the teeth were not biting as sharply as the start.

These are not like the old Stanley tools that get passed from one generation to another where you lovingly sharpen the individual teeth. They are pretty much a disposable item. It gets blunt, you scrap it. Given that the saws are pretty cheap, I tend to buy one for a specific job so that it is a clean cut, then leave it with whoever I did a job for. That way I always have a new saw.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value., 19 May 2014
Excellent value - how do Amazon do these for so little money (including delivery). Very sharp, but a oncs only use, as they can not easily be re-sharpened, being hard-point. But if previous one's I have had are anything to go by, it will last a good time.

5.0 out of 5 stars How cheap is this saw?! An add-on item!, 4 Sep 2014
Had to buy a flippin' add-on item because the toothbrushes I ordered were £9.25, but with free delivery over £10. Otherwise delivery was £6.01 - for some little toothbrushes!! Why don't they just charge £10 in the first place to save me the bother of trawling through the add-on items I don't know.

Anyway, rant about Amazon add-ons aside, this is what I chose. I don't really need a new saw at the moment but my old ones are getting a bit blunt so it will come in useful for my next woodworking job. How cheap is this! It's a decent little saw, nice handle, no complaints at all. My dad was a joiner and in his day saws cost a lot of money,so he kept his for decades, sharpening them when necessary. I am sure that dad's saws were a million times better than this one, but for a DIY-er doing a quick job involving sawing a couple of bits of timber this one will do ok

Nowadays it seems saws are disposable items, cheap enough to throw away when they start to go blunt, which is a lot less bother than trying to get one sharpened and certainly better than trying to work with a saw which has lost its edge. Maybe not good for the environment though? Good old China! Except it's not made in China, it's made in Belgium which is even more surprising for £3.64 including delivery.

5.0 out of 5 stars A serious saw, 10 Jun 2014
I had to cut down a big tree on my own, this saw made it easy. It sliced through a big old ash tree like butter.

If only my aim when the tree fell was as good !

5.0 out of 5 stars Almost made sawing seem a pleasurable job, 15 Sep 2014
Chris M (York) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 10 REVIEWER)
I'm certainly no saw expert, but needed to buy a saw to cut some 2x4 to make a new log store.

This saw was more than up to the job and almost made sawing seem a pleasurable job.

The handle is comfortable enough and the blade is very sharp and made light work of the task in hand.

This saw has 7 teeth per inch (TPI) which does perhaps give a very slightly rough finish, but certainly not enough to cause a problem or complain about.

I’ve also used the saw for some small branches and skirting board which were both handled very well by this saw.

Very happy with my purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great item for work., 24 May 2014
This saw is excellent as expected of the maker. It is always worth paying for the best items and great service from supplier.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good quality, 9 Mar 2014
Never had a bad Stanley saw and this one is no exception

Does what it's required to do... Cut wood

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Make and a great price, 15 Feb 2014
even the cheap saws costs more than this and from using this saw at a mates i know I'll get more than my monies worth out of it

5.0 out of 5 stars Good buy, 13 Feb 2014
This was a good buy especially as I got it on offer cuts wood with ease even more thicker stuff like 4x2

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent and a true bargain with the add-on programme (£3.79), 13 Feb 2014
Excellent quality saw. quick and efficient, not the easiest to start with although it is for heavy duty work per name, think i should have bought a fine saw for job i was doing.
Stays straight and has reasonable flex to get back on track if needed. Great purchase for odd jobs although likely to stand up to the more professional DIYer