5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!
Published 6 months ago by J. Myers

2.0 out of 5 stars Ibanez Mandolin
I brought this for my husband for Christmas, and to be honest I wish I hadn't.
The instrument had not been set up, and the intonation was terrible.
The strings are cheap and nasty, and two broke during tuning.
The upshot was it had to go to the music shop to be set up and cost another 50.00.
This was because the action was extremely high, the bridge...
Published 2 months ago by Mrs. A. Montgomery-higham

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!, 18 Oct 2013
J. Myers "gelatinelens" (Tyne and Wear, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ibanez M510E-BS Mandolin with Pickup in Brown Sunburst (Electronics)
I went with this instrument because of the Ibanez brand - and I'm more than pleasantly surprised by its quality. It took a while for the strings to settle after tuning (as expected with any new instrument) but from there it was a delight. The M510E-BS sounds great whether amplified or not. It was louder than I expected, unplugged. And through a good amp it really excelled. I used one designed for Piezo pickups - but the 'glassy' edge shone through with a good tonal range from its pot. Intonation typically chokes out near the top of the neck - a mixture of my limitations as a Mandolin player (OK, my first day) and the need to adjust the bridge to suit. All easily remedied with a little effort. The tuning pegs are responsive with no apparent slippage, demonstrative of a high build quality throughout. There's even a hex key for the truss rod and a short, quarter-inch Jack lead. Yes, there are cheaper alternatives on the market. But I've yet to see one as well finished as this instrument - and there seem to be an awful lot of identical ones - just with different maker's names on the headstock - and a vast (to my mind - unjustifiable) price range difference between them. None of them appear to review well - which bears out the adage: you get what you pay for. I'm glad that I paid a little more and bought this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ibanex Mandolin, 9 April 2014
This item I bought for my Grandson who is a keen player of music and has guitars, bango, and now a mandolin, he loves it and plays it often, he has now taken it to university where he is studying music

2.0 out of 5 stars Ibanez Mandolin, 23 Jan 2014
I brought this for my husband for Christmas, and to be honest I wish I hadn't.
The instrument had not been set up, and the intonation was terrible.
The strings are cheap and nasty, and two broke during tuning.
This was because the action was extremely high, the bridge had to filed down. The truss rod
had to be altered, and of course decent strings had to be put on.
Another minor point is, if you do buy one of these, the colour of the mandolin is not a golden yellow, as shown in every picture,
In reality it's a bright orange!
If you're wondering why I just didn't send the thing back, well, I would have if my husband hadn't
broken two of the strings trying to tune it as mentioned.
I would recommend buying a Stagg which is half the price, as this isn't worth the money.

ARRAY(0xb5f1e8c4)