1,193 Reviews

My ice-cream maker arrived last week, so I've only had time to make two recipes (Dark chocolate sorbet and Salted caramel ice cream), but both have been absolutely outstanding! Smooth, creamy, and a fraction of the price of buying shop-bought equivalents despite being far superior.

Having read some of the single star reviews on here, I suspect it's probably...
Published 20 months ago by Chris Walker

2.0 out of 5 stars Only purchase if have a large freezer
Published on 7 April 2012 by BBSpringer

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect - Only slight quibble is pouring hole could be larger., 8 Sept. 2013
This review is from: Andrew James Ice Cream, Sorbet and Frozen Yoghurt Maker Machine 1.45 Litre + 128 Page Recipe Book - As voted "Best Buy" Ice Cream Maker By Which Magazine

Having read some of the single star reviews on here, I suspect it's probably worth adding a couple of points so that people understand what they're actually buying though...

Firstly, I suspect that the people claiming that the bowl doesn't fit in a "normal" freezer actually have a freezer compartment in a fridge - an icebox, as they are sometimes referred to. It certainly fits fine in the freezer part of our fridge/freezer. The instructions do clearly say you need to chill the bowl to at least -18 degrees C. This does mean a "proper" freezer, so I doubt an icebox would work even if it could take it. The bowl dimensions are included in the description, so not difficult to check.

Secondly, don't expect this to give you fully frozen ice cream straight out of the mixer. That's simply not going to happen without a built in freezer element. What you will get is a very think, very cold mixture similar to ice cream which has started to melt, and which will then solidify (and indeed go rock solid) when you put it in the freezer.

So, at this point, you might be wondering what the point is, when you could just put the mixture in the freezer to start with? The point is that the machine ensures it is close enough to frozen that the freezer can take it the rest of the way to frozen without forming ice crystals in the mixture. That's effectively what you're buying here. The ability to make perfect ice cream without ice crystals. Just view that hour or so in the freezer as the final stage of the process (rather than the point where it comes out of the machine), and you'll be delighted.

Finally, for the people complaining that the ice cream goes rock solid in the freezer, I'm sure there's an ingredient in commercially made ice cream to help minimize this, should you wish to add some - although even then, a freezer will turn commercially made ice cream rock solid too - but to let them into a secret, it doesn't turn it solid permanently! All you need to do is take the ice cream out of the fridge 10 minutes before you want to scoop it out and it's the ideal consistency.

As a last little tip, if you put your bowl into the freezer when you take the ice cream out, that'll keep it from melting the ice cream too quickly when you serve it.

5.0 out of 5 stars I've just experienced heaven in a bowl ....., 16 Dec. 2012
Oh. My. Word. I've just made the coffee and walnut icecream (minus the walnuts) from the Andrew James recipe book supplied with the icecream maker, and it was most definitely on a par with the haagen daaz coffee icecream. Absolutely dreamy and out of this world. I did have a bad start with my first attempt though. On the second attempt, I hid the inner bowl in the middle of the freezer and on the middle shelf, surrounded (and filled) with bags of peas and frozen foods to ensure the bowl got really really cold. (It didn't seem to get that cold on first attempt, even though it was in the freezer overnight). I'm definitely going to keep the inner bowl in the freezer permanently, then I know it's always ready to go. I also don't think my 'coffee' mixture cooled down sufficiently in the fridge within 30 mins (as the book had suggested), even though it was cool before I even put it in the fridge for the 30 mins. Again, on second attempt, I pre-made the mixture and left it at the back of the fridge overnight to ensure it really was cold. Once the mixture was in the machine, the consistency thickened up fairly quickly and I took the icecream out (with a wooden spoon - you shouldn't use metal utensils inside it) within about 25 minutes thinking it looked thick enough but it was still really quite 'soft scoop', so I popped it into another container and then into the freezer. When we came to eat it, about 3 hrs later, it was firmer but still softer than I personally like. Because of this, I would probably freeze it overnight to ensure a really firm consistency. But then it's all down to personal preference isn't it. My personal preference would be to have this coffee icecream for breakfast, lunch and dinner ....... Seriously though, the icecream maker is a fantastic buy, at a fantastic price, and was a rather delicious birthday present for me! BUY BUY BUY

2.0 out of 5 stars Only purchase if have a large freezer, 7 April 2012
In order to use this machine you need to store the inner container in the freezer, however the container is too large to fit in the draws of the unit that I own which in my opinion is a standard size. I did try to keep it in the fridge before using it but the temperature was not adequate to make decent ice-cream. I urge all people to think of this matter prior to purchase.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great little starter machine, 1 Jun. 2012
I haven't had an icecream maker before, and wanted to buy something relatively cheaply so I could try it out. This machine is a great little starter machine, I've found.

The motor is in the lid of the machine, and you store the bowl in the freezer. This means that you can only make one batch / flavour of icecream at a time, because the bowl needs to be refrozen each time. It also means cleaning it is a bit more tricky (which is really important considering how easy it is to get food poisoning from icecream!) because you need to be careful about getting it wet since the motor is near the arm/ rudder.

I've made three batches of icecream so far, Strawberry Balsamic Vinegar & Marscapone, Mango & Frangelico, Clotted Vanilla Cream & Vodka. They were all amazing!

When the machine goes, I've found after 30 minutes that the icecream is still quite soft, and need to be put in the freezer to harden a bit more. This isn't a problem for me, I quite like making it in the morning to eat later. The process of putting it in the icecream maker ensures that the ingredients are well mixed, frozen slowly and evenly, and also puts lots of air into the mixture, so it's much better than just blending the ingredients and putting them straight into the freezer.

I've found that adding a dash of alcohol stops it from freezing too solid. Most good quality icecreams are quite solid I find and need some softening straight out of the freezer before you can eat them anyway. Alcohol, or a teaspoon of glucose syrup or a bit of gelatine helps a great deal with this!

Also, the mixture expands a lot when it's in the machine, so watch out that you don't overfill the machine or you can break it!

All in all, a good little investment for the price! It comes with a handy booklet with instructions and amazing recipes!

When this one breaks, I think I'll invest in one with the motor in the bottom of the machine not in the lid, but having said that, I'm more than happy with this little machine for now.

5.0 out of 5 stars EASY, DELICIOUS ICE-CREAM, 28 July 2011
I LOVE THIS....very quick delivery. I was able to use it as soon as it arrived with products I had. Result was quick, easy lovely ice-cream inbetween 20-40 mins.
Put in freezer for something firmer. I have'nt packed it away since. Get this if you want easy, peasy ice-cream that even the kids can do. FABULOUS.

1.0 out of 5 stars disappointed, 28 Oct. 2014
NASIR (manchester) - See all my reviews
I bought this product after reading a lot of positive reviews on this site. But i am rereally disappointed with the quality of this product. It does not make thick ice cream.i placed the bowl in the freezer for about 12 hours and also put the ingredients in the freezer prior to putting into the bowl. But even after 30 mins of operation i did not get the thick texture i was hoping for. I think the automatic ice cream maker from cuisine art would work best.this machine is a disappointment.

5.0 out of 5 stars ice cream to die for, 4 Aug. 2014
Ms Carol J. Jackson "Caz" (Devon/UK) - See all my reviews
The delivery for this product was really quick and it was packaged very well. I couldn't wait to try it so straight away after washing i put the inner bowl in the freezer. I think this size is perfect for the average freezer and i found that it didn't take up too much space. I left the inner bowl for the recommended time and set about preparing all the ingredients to make vanilla choc chip ice cream. This product is so easy to use you can't go wrong and after about 15 mins of churning my ice cream was ready to put into a container to freeze. I have to say it was delicious- better than shop bought and with all the recipes and tips in the enclosed free recipe book i will never buy ice cream again. Am thrilled with this product- an excellent buy

5.0 out of 5 stars Making ice creams/sorbets with our 6 grandchildren., 6 May 2013
Neill Hastie (durham) - See all my reviews
excellent product
when I lived in Switzerland 50 years ago I used to make ice cream professionally most days of the week.
I thought it would to make some with my 6 grandchildren as they all like to help when we cook.
This machine is ideal for us to make ice creams,sorbets & frozen yogurts
The machine that I bought in France in 1986 died a few weeks ago.I Googled ice cream machines and came across your product and ordered it from amazon.
It is just the correct size for our use.
We have made mango and lime ice cream and melon sorbet.The melon sorbet is placed straight from the machine into the melon skin and frozen I make some balls of sorbet which I put on the top and put the melon skin lid on top and put it back in the freezer already for half term.
one of the recipes we are going to make then is liquorice ice cream!

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect ice cream at first attempt, 9 Feb. 2013
Ok - I had read the reviews and looked at more expensive options, but decided as a beginner to go with this. I read and re-read the instructions and also took the advice of some of the reviews here. Here is how it went:

Friday night - froze bowl. We have a fridge/freezer where the freezer is on top with no drawers, so easy to re-arrange to get the bowl in. I put a packet of frozen peas in the bowl just for space saving.

Saturday - Mixed 50/50 mix of fridge cold fresh tub of custard and fresh double cream to 800ml volume total in a glass jug with lip. Added 1 tablespoon madagascan vanilla extract, 1 tablespoon liquid glucose, 1 tablespoon powdered stevia leaf (as sugar substitute) and 2 x finely crumbled Bounty bars (twin packs).

I put the jug back in the fridge for another half hour to chill down.

Removed frozen bowl from freezer (using oven mitt to avoid freezer burn on hands) and assembled churn and switched on. Always switch on paddle before pouring.

Slowly poured chilled mix from jug into the funnel and set kitchen timer for 20 minutes. I didn't leave it as this was the first time. When the churn reached about 18 minutes I could see it starting to slow down and the mix was looking slightly meringue like so I switched it off at about 18 minutes. Important: remove paddle from lid straight away

Had a taste - at this stage it tastes amazing - smooth, no lumps, creamy and the occasional shred of coconut and chocolate. Yummy.

Holding the bowl with a tea towel (its very cold) and using a plastic baking spatula I spooned the mixture into a 1 litre shallow recycled ice cream tub and at this stage the consistency was thick but not too thick to get most of it out. (I had immersed this tub in a basin of boiling water from the kettle to sterilise first). 800 ml ingredient made almost exactly 1 litre of finished product. I wouldn't put more than 800ml in the ice cream maker.

Put in fridge to firm up. Cleaned all the bits and pieces straight away.

It really was idiot proof and I am looking forward to experimenting with ingredients that use no refined sugar if possible. Turkish Delight/Rosewater Pistachio next.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easiest and tastiest ice cream EVER at first attempt!, 24 July 2011
I bought this with the intention of being able to have a bash at making ice cream, not expecting to get it right, but READ ON.

I had 2 practice runs (the first one didn't work and I had to take the batch out and whisk it again but it was my own fault for not ensuring that all my ingredients were chilled in the fridge first). Second time round my brain was in gear, I had my specs on and no excuses. Superb! And this was only the practice run. I had quality ice cream galore before I'd even started!!

Although this came with a great recipe book, I had already ordered the Ben & Jerry book, but both were great.

Minuses - delicious ice cream at 30 minutes notice won't help the diet at all. Oh well.......... (but worth every spoonful)

Andrew James Ice Cream, Sorbet and Frozen Yoghurt Maker Machine 1.45 Litre + FREE 128 Page Recipe Book