5.0 out of 5 stars I've just experienced heaven in a bowl .....
Published 19 months ago by Mrs T A Wilkinson

1.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't work!
Published 9 months ago by Amazon Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars I've just experienced heaven in a bowl ....., 16 Dec 2012
This review is from: Andrew James Ice Cream, Sorbet and Frozen Yoghurt Maker Machine 1.45 Litre + 128 Page Recipe Book - As voted "Best Buy" Ice Cream Maker By Which Magazine
Oh. My. Word. I've just made the coffee and walnut icecream (minus the walnuts) from the Andrew James recipe book supplied with the icecream maker, and it was most definitely on a par with the haagen daaz coffee icecream. Absolutely dreamy and out of this world. I did have a bad start with my first attempt though. On the second attempt, I hid the inner bowl in the middle of the freezer and on the middle shelf, surrounded (and filled) with bags of peas and frozen foods to ensure the bowl got really really cold. (It didn't seem to get that cold on first attempt, even though it was in the freezer overnight). I'm definitely going to keep the inner bowl in the freezer permanently, then I know it's always ready to go. I also don't think my 'coffee' mixture cooled down sufficiently in the fridge within 30 mins (as the book had suggested), even though it was cool before I even put it in the fridge for the 30 mins. Again, on second attempt, I pre-made the mixture and left it at the back of the fridge overnight to ensure it really was cold. Once the mixture was in the machine, the consistency thickened up fairly quickly and I took the icecream out (with a wooden spoon - you shouldn't use metal utensils inside it) within about 25 minutes thinking it looked thick enough but it was still really quite 'soft scoop', so I popped it into another container and then into the freezer. When we came to eat it, about 3 hrs later, it was firmer but still softer than I personally like. Because of this, I would probably freeze it overnight to ensure a really firm consistency. But then it's all down to personal preference isn't it. My personal preference would be to have this coffee icecream for breakfast, lunch and dinner ....... Seriously though, the icecream maker is a fantastic buy, at a fantastic price, and was a rather delicious birthday present for me! BUY BUY BUY

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect - Only slight quibble is pouring hole could be larger., 8 Sep 2013
My ice-cream maker arrived last week, so I've only had time to make two recipes (Dark chocolate sorbet and Salted caramel ice cream), but both have been absolutely outstanding! Smooth, creamy, and a fraction of the price of buying shop-bought equivalents despite being far superior.

Having read some of the single star reviews on here, I suspect it's probably worth adding a couple of points so that people understand what they're actually buying though...

Firstly, I suspect that the people claiming that the bowl doesn't fit in a "normal" freezer actually have a freezer compartment in a fridge - an icebox, as they are sometimes referred to. It certainly fits fine in the freezer part of our fridge/freezer. The instructions do clearly say you need to chill the bowl to at least -18 degrees C. This does mean a "proper" freezer, so I doubt an icebox would work even if it could take it. The bowl dimensions are included in the description, so not difficult to check.

Secondly, don't expect this to give you fully frozen ice cream straight out of the mixer. That's simply not going to happen without a built in freezer element. What you will get is a very think, very cold mixture similar to ice cream which has started to melt, and which will then solidify (and indeed go rock solid) when you put it in the freezer.

So, at this point, you might be wondering what the point is, when you could just put the mixture in the freezer to start with? The point is that the machine ensures it is close enough to frozen that the freezer can take it the rest of the way to frozen without forming ice crystals in the mixture. That's effectively what you're buying here. The ability to make perfect ice cream without ice crystals. Just view that hour or so in the freezer as the final stage of the process (rather than the point where it comes out of the machine), and you'll be delighted.

Finally, for the people complaining that the ice cream goes rock solid in the freezer, I'm sure there's an ingredient in commercially made ice cream to help minimize this, should you wish to add some - although even then, a freezer will turn commercially made ice cream rock solid too - but to let them into a secret, it doesn't turn it solid permanently! All you need to do is take the ice cream out of the fridge 10 minutes before you want to scoop it out and it's the ideal consistency.

As a last little tip, if you put your bowl into the freezer when you take the ice cream out, that'll keep it from melting the ice cream too quickly when you serve it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't work!, 7 Oct 2013
I don't understand why this has had so many good reviews, it just doesn't work. I keep the bowl in the freezer for longer than 24 hours and I also chill the ingredients but it doesn't freeze. I wouldn't even mind if it made a soft scoop consistency but all I get is slush, like the old slush puppy drinks you used too get from the ice cream van. My freezer is new and is very cold so that isn't the problem. The motor on this is very weak and overheats as well. It takes about thirty minutes to cool down but by that time the bowl has defrosted too much. What a waste of money! The magimix one I had previously worked better.

2.0 out of 5 stars Only purchase if have a large freezer, 7 April 2012
In order to use this machine you need to store the inner container in the freezer, however the container is too large to fit in the draws of the unit that I own which in my opinion is a standard size. I did try to keep it in the fridge before using it but the temperature was not adequate to make decent ice-cream. I urge all people to think of this matter prior to purchase.

4.0 out of 5 stars '99', 25 Jun 2013
Easy to use, easy to clean, good value for money and producing the right amount of ice cream for our requirements. I'm now going on a diet!

1.0 out of 5 stars Useless., 14 Aug 2013
This is basically an expensive cream stirring machine. The ingredients came out exactly the same as they went in, not frozen whatsoever! I've had several attempts now and had the same result. Also the motor overheated and stopped working mid churn. Which was nice. Ive given it away now, if I bother to try again I'll fork out for an automatic machine.

I can't for the life of me understand how this has had so many positive reviews!

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to use, small and lightweight, 8 Sep 2011
I'm a novice at making ice cream and I am very pleased with this maker. So far I have made 3 lots of ice cream from recipes in the free recipe book which is brilliant. I didnt realise it would be so easy to have fantasic ice cream at home (I'll never buy from shops again). The bowl isnt too big to fit into the freezer and I picked up on someone's review and put it onto fastfreeze to ensure it is really cold. It is a tiny bit sloppy straight from the machine, but still edible, however my partner prefers it to go into the freezer first - make you have food containers on hand. Very pleased, lightwight, easy to clean and easy to store away.

5.0 out of 5 stars EASY, DELICIOUS ICE-CREAM, 28 July 2011
I LOVE THIS....very quick delivery. I was able to use it as soon as it arrived with products I had. Result was quick, easy lovely ice-cream inbetween 20-40 mins.
Put in freezer for something firmer. I have'nt packed it away since. Get this if you want easy, peasy ice-cream that even the kids can do. FABULOUS.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easiest and tastiest ice cream EVER at first attempt!, 24 July 2011
I bought this with the intention of being able to have a bash at making ice cream, not expecting to get it right, but READ ON.

I had 2 practice runs (the first one didn't work and I had to take the batch out and whisk it again but it was my own fault for not ensuring that all my ingredients were chilled in the fridge first). Second time round my brain was in gear, I had my specs on and no excuses. Superb! And this was only the practice run. I had quality ice cream galore before I'd even started!!

Although this came with a great recipe book, I had already ordered the Ben & Jerry book, but both were great.

Minuses - delicious ice cream at 30 minutes notice won't help the diet at all. Oh well.......... (but worth every spoonful)

Andrew James Ice Cream, Sorbet and Frozen Yoghurt Maker Machine 1.45 Litre + FREE 128 Page Recipe Book

3.0 out of 5 stars Great little starter machine, 1 Jun 2012
I haven't had an icecream maker before, and wanted to buy something relatively cheaply so I could try it out. This machine is a great little starter machine, I've found.

The motor is in the lid of the machine, and you store the bowl in the freezer. This means that you can only make one batch / flavour of icecream at a time, because the bowl needs to be refrozen each time. It also means cleaning it is a bit more tricky (which is really important considering how easy it is to get food poisoning from icecream!) because you need to be careful about getting it wet since the motor is near the arm/ rudder.

I've made three batches of icecream so far, Strawberry Balsamic Vinegar & Marscapone, Mango & Frangelico, Clotted Vanilla Cream & Vodka. They were all amazing!

When the machine goes, I've found after 30 minutes that the icecream is still quite soft, and need to be put in the freezer to harden a bit more. This isn't a problem for me, I quite like making it in the morning to eat later. The process of putting it in the icecream maker ensures that the ingredients are well mixed, frozen slowly and evenly, and also puts lots of air into the mixture, so it's much better than just blending the ingredients and putting them straight into the freezer.

I've found that adding a dash of alcohol stops it from freezing too solid. Most good quality icecreams are quite solid I find and need some softening straight out of the freezer before you can eat them anyway. Alcohol, or a teaspoon of glucose syrup or a bit of gelatine helps a great deal with this!

Also, the mixture expands a lot when it's in the machine, so watch out that you don't overfill the machine or you can break it!

All in all, a good little investment for the price! It comes with a handy booklet with instructions and amazing recipes!

When this one breaks, I think I'll invest in one with the motor in the bottom of the machine not in the lid, but having said that, I'm more than happy with this little machine for now.