4.0 out of 5 stars HEARTFELT FESTIVE FUN
Martin Freeman is his usual loaveable self and the kids are adorable and hilarious in equal measure. Is it cheesy? Yes but what else do you want from a Christmas film?! Pure entertaining, emotive Christmas fun for the whole family.
Published on 9 Mar 2010 by Mis K. E. Morris

3.0 out of 5 stars Cosy Christmas
Good clean family entertainment for a cosy family gathering near or around Christmas. The acting of the children often matches that of the main characters, but I guess that no children's School Nativity Play will ever match the gadgetry employed in the final school presentation. What child would not give away their coveted present to take part in such a drama? One of the...
Published on 13 Dec 2011 by K. C. Smith

4.0 out of 5 stars HEARTFELT FESTIVE FUN, 9 Mar 2010

5.0 out of 5 stars Great film for all the family!!!!, 11 Oct 2010
This review is from: Nativity! [DVD] (DVD)
I went to see this film at the cinema with my partner & daughter just before Xmas last year! We all loved it and wanted to go back again!!! Funny & heart warming at the same time & some good little bits of music too - really gets you in the christmasy mood - definatly one to buy & watch for when your putting up your xmas decorations - highly recommended for young & old!

5.0 out of 5 stars A fantastic feel-good film!, 4 April 2010
This review is from: Nativity! [DVD] (DVD)
I actually saw this a week after Christmas and immediately wanted to watch it again the next day! For that reason I can't wait for this to be released.
There are not many British Christmas films but this is the best I've seen. Even better than Love, Actually.
The characters are so warm you'll forgive any situations that seem implausible. The children are not your usual stage-school kids and that is the key to the film's success. They are totally natural and lovable!
Martin Freeman plays his usual persona and very good he is too. Standouts for me were Pam Ferris and Ashley Jensen. Initially I wasn't sure about the character of teaching assistant Mr Poppy but his child-like enthusiasm won me over. Alan Carr was brilliant too!

I'm going to buy this and save it to watch on Christmas Eve. This would make a great Christmas present for those that like laughing!

5.0 out of 5 stars Tale as old as time..., 6 Jan 2012
Chloe S "Chick Lit Chloe" (Berkshire, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Nativity! [DVD] (DVD)
Primary school teacher Paul Madddens has had enough. One of his old ex-friends always manages to trump him in the annual Nativity play, garnering 5 star reviews in the local paper while Paul's school barely manages to get out of the minus stars. So when the headteacher puts Paul in charge of this year's Nativity play, he isn't happy and invents a small white lie to make out it's going to be amazing - that his ex-girlfriend, now a Hollywood producer is going to come over and watch it along with some of her colleagues. This isn't true but when enthusiastic classroom assistant Mr Poppy hears it, he tells the children and all hell breaks loose. Mr Poppy and the kids are determined to put on the best Nativity play the town has ever seen. Sure enough, even Mr Maddens manages to get up a bit of excitement for it but for one problem... how is he going to break it to everyone that Hollywood isn't coming after all?

This film is everything Christmas with children should be about - fun, laughter, and excessive practicing for the annual school nativity play. As someone who works in a school with a foundation stage class, I could totally relate to a lot of what was going on between the adults at school, but also the fun of the children they were teaching too. Anyone who works in a school will really relate to this, and anyone who has kids won't be able to resist going "awwwww!" at every cute thing the talented child cast in this film manage to do. Perhaps I loved it that bit more than my parents because I'm in that environment all day, every day but I just cannot tell you how much I loved this film, I really can't! The child cast are phenomenal, they are only young yet deliver lines, sing songs and deal with choreography like seasoned professionals, and they are a joy to watch. The rivalry between Mr Shakespeare (of the posh school) and Mr Maddens (of the not-so-posh school) gives us a bit of a comedy element, and it's funny to see the differences between the teachers and the way the children interact with each teacher... there's certainly a lesson in there for the more competitive grown-ups amongst us!

As for the adult cast, well they are all perfectly suited to their roles and I loved them! Martin Freeman will forever be "Tim" from The Office to me, no matter what other parts he does, but he plays the part of caring yet exaperated Mr Maddens perfectly, and I am sure a lot of teachers out there will see a bit of themselves in him. However, my favourite by far was the magnificent Mr Poppy played the hilarious Marc Wootton. I haven't seen Wootton in anything previously, yet I felt he was the energy and driving force behind this movie as I was watching and I was captivated by him on-screen, with both the other adults, but especially with the children. We really do need more men like Mr Poppy in our schools with our young people, and he was a joy to watch on-screen. Ashley Jensen was more of a guest role really, only appearing in a few flashbacks with Freeman, and then a few scenes near the end of the film, and Pam Ferris does a wonderful job of playing headmistress Mrs Bevan... nothing like her Miss Trunchball role you'll be pleased to hear!

I was worried that we wouldn't get to see much of the actual Nativity play in question, as is per the norm in movies these days, but we were treated to around 15 minutes of wonderful songs and performance from Mr Madden's class at the end of the film, and it was brilliant to watch. The storyline of the creation of this Nativity play with the class, Mr Maddens and Mr Poppy is the main one, but running alongside that is the broken heart of Mr Maddens, devastated after his ex-girlfriend fled to Hollywood for her career. The storyline around that, and the things the young children in his class say are so touching and heart-warming, I did feel myself welling up! The soundtrack is brilliant, with the original songs that the children sing being brilliantly modern and festive at the same time, and the rehearsal scenes were among some of the funniest! Mr Poppy is particular was most enthusiastic! This is certainly a movie that tugs on your heart-strings - yes it's cheesy and no it won't be everyone's cup of tea but I for one loved it, and can't wait to put it on every Christmas for a bit of festive cheer and lovely singing children. Utterly charming, and a film I thoroughly enjoyed!

5.0 out of 5 stars My family and I love this xmas treat, 11 Nov 2010
This review is from: Nativity! [DVD] (DVD)
My family and I saw this gem last year when it came out. My 3 boys 6 - 11 laughed so much. They love Mr Poppy and the Nativity concert. It's a tear jerker for the adults too. So really something that all the family can watch and laugh along with together. This will keep us entertained for years to come and the boys want to see more Mr Poppy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, 24 Oct 2013
This review is from: Nativity! [DVD] (DVD)
It's the best movie and for my 11 year old daughter she loves it and it's really funny but with no rude language at all :)))

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best Christmas movies around, 24 Nov 2012
This review is from: Nativity! [DVD] (DVD)
I seen this when it was released at the cinema with my eldest child and we both loved it. We raved about it to my husband and youngest child who had been doing something else that day and we had to wait a year for the DVD release to be able to see it again and for them to see it. Its fun, heart warming and will have you singing the soundtrack for weeks to come. Thoroughly enjoyable movie that you (and the kids!) will want to watch again and again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nativity, 13 Nov 2012
This review is from: Nativity! [DVD] (DVD)
A great film,that I never tire of watching.Families will love it. Definately one to buy. As with all good Christmas films everything turns out well by the end - I wouldn't have it any other way!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great fun, 6 Nov 2012
This review is from: Nativity! Combi Pack [Blu-ray + DVD ] (Blu-ray)
Really great film - loved the humour and the kids did brilliantly. Recommend this for any audience. Dors not have to be Christmas to view it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Properly good British comedy., 22 May 2012
This review is from: Nativity! [DVD] (DVD)
Stressed teachers, under achieving children, dodgy relationships - yes, it has all the key ingredients for a genuinely funny Brit-com. The fact that it's set at Christmas is just the icing on the cake. I literally laughed till I cried - and I'm as cynical as they come.

Nativity! Combi Pack [Blu-ray + DVD ]
Nativity! Combi Pack [Blu-ray + DVD ] by Martin Freeman (Blu-ray - 2010)
12.99