5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Value for Money
Received and have used the Rower for nearly a month now and so far, am very pleased with the machine.

Published on 6 Nov. 2012 by WhitelowStar

1.0 out of 5 stars Had to return the item
Published on 9 Dec. 2012 by Eamon T

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Value for Money, 6 Nov. 2012
This review is from: Ultrasport Rowing Machine Drafter 550 - Model 2014 (Sports)

Assembly was rather easy, instructions were easy to follow and the machine came with a bunch of tools, so I didn't have to use my own. Screws & others parts seem of surprisingly good quality. I expected less, given the rather low price of the machine, so thumbs up :) Assembly took me less than an hour and wasn't difficult. I think it should be doable, even for people who aren't into tinkering.

The seat is comfy enough, although it could be on the small side for someone with a larger backside than mine. (I don't know if that would be any different with other rowing machines)

The sliding rail is fine and sliding is smooth. The pulley is a bit loud, but I guess that's one of these things that comes with buying at an economy price. I have music on when I work out, so I don't really mind.

Another good thing, and one of the reasons I chose this Rower, is that I can do biceps exercises using the pulley. The machine has additional footrests at the back that I stand on, so I can work my biceps without lifting the whole machine.

If you want the Rower out of the way, it can be folded up and stowed away quite easily, but I rather like the look of the machine, so it now has a more or less permanent spot in my study.

All told, I don't think I could have found a better rowing machine at this price. I can fully recommend the Drafter 550.

1.0 out of 5 stars Had to return the item, 9 Dec. 2012
I ordered this rower after seeing the description and price were right for me. The rower arrived promptly with no visible damaged from the outside of the packaging. Unfortunately once opened and found cracks on the main plastic casing of the rower and the plastic casing of the seat. Decided to assemble it and thinking will contact the seller asking for replacement parts afterward. After spending about 20 minutes on it and found the holes of the under metal bar that requiring to attach it to the main aluminium sliding bar did not match to the holes of the main bar. There is nothing else I could do but have to return it. So spent another 30 minutes repackaging it for returning. Sorry to say it was a waste of time and efforts. It would have been helpful if the seller check the parts before sending it off to the buyer. That would have save their money and customer's time.

3.0 out of 5 stars Let down by flimsey plastic covers, 23 Feb. 2013
B. N. Allen (Scotland, UK) - See all my reviews
The rowing machine was delivered in good time and was easily assembled, however the plastic covers covering the flywheel were cracked and in bits. Once I had removed what was left of the covers to remove all the broken bits and put what was left of the covers back on the rower worked very well, quiet and smooth. The resistance is fairly poor, and does very little to exercise your lower body, but after a few minutes it does have you sweatting!
I have emailed Ultradrift customer support to see if they will send out new covers.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice piece of kit, 13 Sept. 2012
As the Drafter 550 had not been reviewed I was slightly apprehensive when unpacking it but didn't have to worry.
The machine is constructed out of heavy duty steel with the seat slider in aluminium.
It has a good clear led display with all the basic information that you need, time count etc.
The assembly instructions are clear with explanation as well as exploded diagrams, they supply tools for assembly although it's best to use your own as they aren't that strong but still sufficient just, to do the job. It took me about an hour to assemble on my own.
The rower has a 6kg flywheel, some other rowers I looked at were lighter, apparently the heavier the flywheel the better.
The rower has 8 variable settings so it should be OK for those wanting to get fit and probably not for anything more, level 4 had me blowing a bit after a session.
It also has the capability to be used for curls etc which is a good idea.
I discovered the plastic casing of the rower was broken when I had finished assembling it, I contacted the company by email informing them of the problem and quickly had a reply and a promise of a new part being dispatched,(casing damaged in transit)
It would appear that the parent company are German hence the efficient after sales service.
At this present time it's all going well. Amazon did well 3 days from order to delivery.
The company have now replaced the damaged casing which was easy to fit and the machine is still going well, no problems.

4.0 out of 5 stars Ultrasport Drafter 550, 24 Oct. 2012
I studied all the rowing machines available for some time and the magnetic type seemed the best for my needs. They are generally fairly quiet and do not suffer from draughts and noise from a fan during operation. Hydraulic machines always risk leaking at some point which, if on the lounge carpet, would result in my imminent demise, so magnetic won the day. At the time there were no reviews on Amazon but I found a review in German which was positive.
Meanwhile the price kept escalating and I delayed purchase. Also a 1 star bad review appeared which was off putting but the makers comments gave me a bit of confidence as they seemed determined to make good any problems so I decided to 'chance it'.
The machine arrived without damage and on time and assembly was fairly straightforward. All loose fastenings are on a multi-blister pack and have a part description. Tools are provided.
Quality Issues-- The rear support had an incomplete weld. An email to Customer Services at 10.30pm was replied to politely at 7.00am the next day and a new part sent off from Germany the same day, arriving 3 days later.( I live on an island). After 2-3 days I noticed the cord guide roller was off centre and the cord rubbing. This, I easily fixed myself as it was easier than returning the whole machine.
Operation-- At first I thought the resistance even on the highest of 8 levels was a bit weak but after only 100 strokes at 30/min.I was proved wrong as it gives a pretty good workout. (I am a reatively fit 70 year old and cycle over 1000 miles in Summer) Maybe not enough for the Boat Race crew though!
Storage-- Fairly heavy at 30 or so Kg. Although the slide rail folds up,I would not advise putting it in a cupbord after each use as, especially on carpet, it is a little awkward to move around.
Summary-- Were it not for the couple of quality issues, I would have awarded 5*. For the price I find it an excellent piece of equipment. Not being able to try out different types of machine poissonally in poisson (read Montalbano!)because of my location it is often a bit hit or miss when buying blind but I am overall very pleased with the machine and the excellent service provided by the makers. It also has a 2 year warranty. Just needs a little attention to Quality Control by the manufacturers. Apparently made in China, but what isn't! I'm glad I was not put off b the negative reviews.

3.0 out of 5 stars Fairly well made., 10 Jun. 2014
I have given this Rowing machine 3 stars,because ,although it seems quite well built(proper bearings for the seat and the roller
where the tension rope goes),and the frame is quite sound. When the machine is folded for storage the tension rope comes up
against a sharp metal edge,which will cut through the rope quite quickly.It is not too much trouble to unclip the rope,but it does
not mention this in the rather poor instructions. I should have thought ,these days,that translations could be perfect(remember
the 'Flipping Mirror',from early Japanese cameras),especially as the Rower is supposed to be of German origin!
I have raised this point of the rope/sharp edge with the company,but as yet I have not had a reply.
Also,nothing is mentioned in the instructions which heart/pulse counter is to be used with the onboard computer.
I purchased this on the 9th.May 2014.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great but had minor damage when it arrived., 16 Mar. 2014
I ordered this rowing machine because I wanted something affordable but heavy duty. When it arrived the first thing I noticed was that it had been damaged.during shipping. The casing around the right wheel at the head of the rowing machine had been cracked apart and the wheel has since come off. This doesn't affect the usability of it, but does make it more difficult to move and is not the condition I would have hoped it would be in. I contacted the manufacturer shortly after purchasing the machine but they don't seem to have replied.

On a functional level the machine works as good as I could expect it to. It feels very secure to use and makes a minimal amount of noise. The main advantage of this model is the fact that it can additionally be used for a upper body workout, which is really nice. Having eight levels of resistance is nice but it might feel too low depending on your level of fitness.

1.0 out of 5 stars Avoid at all cost - save your time and money, 25 July 2014
Ordered once - came damaged. A pain in the neck having to wait around for the collection of the damaged goods.

A replacement came and this was damaged too - both times it was the plastic casing that was badly cracked and broken.

Had to take a further day off work on leave to allow for them to collect again - including the first delivery I've wasted 3 days of annual leave waiting around and ended up with nothing!

Shopped elsewhere in the end - wish I'd done that in the first place and saved myself a whole lot of hassle.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good for old people & children over 8, 10 Oct. 2013
the assemble booklet is a 90% guide only - you still need 10% intuition to figure out how to do it.... it took me about 30 hours spread over 2 weeks to put it together. But it feels well made & sturdy. It does not wobble.

However, if you are 6 feet 4 inch or more ... this might be too short for you.

At top resistance it feels too easy. Luckily I am getting old (58 now) .. If this machine lasts a few years or more It should prove useful if I do at least 20 minutes per day.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value for money, 13 April 2013
Pros: Easily assembled ... took me about an hour ... instructions easy to follow. The hinge pin was squeaky when first used but a squirt of WD40 solved that problem. Very quiet in operation.
Cons: Distance travelled not shown on multi-function display. The resistance is not brilliant ... I started on maximum setting so probably wouldn't suit particularly strong people.