Format: DVD|Change

on 22 April 2013
This movie is an excruciatingly funny commentary on the human condition. In particular, it deals with that variant of love so well documented in ancient Greece in the story of Oedipus. That is, the intense passion often experienced in the mother son relationship. John C. Reilly is the hapless anti-hero who becomes the hero. His quest to break through the unbreakable bond in order to reach the woman he loves, is a joy to witness. Superb performances by Jonah Hill and Marisa Tomei are complimented by excellent writing from Jay and Mark Duplass.
on 20 September 2010
Cryus offers a unique alternative to the norm. I'm not saying its brilliant (its not) but it deals with real issues (divorce, loneliness and vulnerability) and real people ("you cannot go out with me I look like Shrek").
on 3 May 2013
Okay,so this isn't quite the comedy it appears to be on trailer form and by the cover,but it is amusing in a dry way and caught my interest enough to get to the end of it.
A divorced guy tried to find a new partner,is a little useless but has a certain charm.
He meets a woman,they get on great,but she's a bit mysterious,then he meets the son and things get a little weirder.
The mother and son thing is a little creepy rather than endearing,but it is kind of amusing in it's own way.
Anyway,the son starts making life difficult for the guy and the plot becomes about weather the son will split the two lovers.

Some reviewers say this has no comedy,not so,it's just not thick and fast,it is oddly done,it's dry and it is the kind a lot of people just won't find amusing.
I quite enjoyed it and found myself smiling at the subtle jokes a lot more than i thought i would,certainly after reading so many negative reviews.
I doubt i'll be watching this again,but i am glad i watched it,it's got something there.
on 11 March 2011
found it a strange film, at the end i wasnt sure if i liked it or not! i think i do, still not sure!
on 13 January 2011
After seeing the trailer to Cyrus, I couldn't wait to see it. The trailer seems to promise some explosive comedy when John (John C Reilly) meets Molly (Marisa Tomei)....and then meets her son, Cyrus (Jonah Hill). I expected a huge amount of carnage to unfold in a similar way to 'Step Brothers' (also starring John C Reilly along with Will Ferrell) - not an unreasonable thing to expect given Reilly's past roles! However this film is more sophisticated than the trailer led me to believe. As is the case with many trailers for average movies, all the best moments are cleverly thrown together to give the expectation that you are in for real treat, but unfortunately the trailer pretty much includes the only funny parts in this movie. I initially thought the movie was a bit of a slow burner, but when the battle lines were eventually drawn between John and Cyrus, the chaos never really got off the ground in the way I'd hoped. There were some funny moments, but I wasn't "laughing till it hurts", it was more a case that I was willing a battle of wits to kick off between John and Cyrus, but it simply fizzled out to nothing. I would describe this movie as more of a romantic-comedy than a full on comedy, like Step Brothers. The ending was a little lame too and somewhat abrupt. It came across to me that the movie ran out of time/budget, so the ending seemed a bit rushed. A good movie, but more of a love story than a barrage of hilarity. John C. Reilly does give a great performance, but fans of his comedy will find his charactor a bit watered down in this movie, compared with the outrageous charactors we are more familiar with. On a more positive note, he does show us that he has more in his locker than just 'wacky' comedy. Not seen much of Jonah Hill before this movie, but I look forward to seeing more. He showed great comedy potential in this. I have "Get Him To The Greek" to watch, even though I'm not a fan of Russell Brand at all (okay, so I can't stand the guy!), so I'm hoping Jonah Hill will make that movie far more palatable...
33 comments|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 22 June 2015
Awful Film - Weak Storyline, I actually got Rid Of This After I had Watched It
on 30 March 2015
90 minutes I will never get back
on 15 July 2015
Great performances but unfortunately not a great film.
on 19 April 2011
A painfully slow, unfunny "comedy"? starring John C.Reilly as a loser, who meets a woman. This woman has a manipulative child, cue problems. It is less unoriginal than it sounds however. It is quirky and offbeat, indie in feel (with some good music), and keeps promising to be funny but simply isn't. It is somewhat smart and sophisticated, which you will either get and appreciate or totally miss, but it is very understated and confused as to what it is. Arty, odd and promising, until Johah Hill pops up, then it becomes a bit more mainstream and like Marmite (like it or loathe it).

Reilly is good in this, if not verging on the creepy, but still remains a poor man's Will Ferrell, and Hill's inclusion is grating and wasted. An indifferent kind of movie, but please watch it knowing it is NOT a comedy and you may like bits.

Shame as the cover and trailers present this as a comedy and it is not.
on 20 January 2016
Looking forward to many years of watching.