5.0 out of 5 stars The Netbook for Me
Published on 13 Nov 2010 by Mechanic

I ordered the 'White' (i.e. aluminum and silver) version of this computer and upon opening the box I was immediately conscious of feeling that this netbook, though up to ASUS's usual good build quality standards, isn't quite as end-user friendly as some of the earlier incarnations of the eee PC.

The outside is a dimpled surface aluminium and plastic that I...
Published on 26 Mar 2011 by Seren Ade

5.0 out of 5 stars The Netbook for Me, 13 Nov 2010
I have been looking for a netbook to replace my Compaq TC1100 tablet (very easy to use fairly light to carry but useless battery life compared to new computers, but getting on bit now) this computer is worth its weight in gold regular battery life of 6hrs plus,(thats with wireless on and a reasonably bright screen) nice and light to carry and reasonably fast. On the outside (I have the white and silver model) it has a dimple textured finish non slippery and NO fingerprints, open it up and the first thing you see is a bright screen and well laid out keyboard (the screen has a shiny finish that I would prefer matte but you cant have everything). The keyboard is as perfect as it gets, it is an island type i.e. it has each key separated by metal so it good for easy typing. The USB3 is superb for quick backups, as is the USB charge when the computer is off, (charged my phone overnight and didn't notice any difference to battery life the next day). A memory upgrade is a good idea, helps move things along a little faster, (be careful though early models had ddr2 memory, latter models with USB 3 and Bluetooth 3 use DDR3) both Amazon and Crucial got this wrong when asked, I even spoke to an advisor at Crucial to check, I think they are both up to speed now !!!!!) The power supply is quite small if you do need to take with you, (a shame nobody supplies one of the new fold flat plugs, it would make the power supply even easier to take with you). Would I recommend it, you bet I would, I have had the Compaq listed earlier, a Samsung Q1 and A Sony PCG-1J1L 5" screen with slide out keyboard, and I would choose the Asus every time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality Product, 17 Oct 2010
Mr. Phillip V. Williams (South Wales, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Asus Eee PC 1018P 10.1 inch netbook (Intel Atom N475 1.83GHz, 1GB RAM, 250GB HDD, WLAN, BT, Webcam, Up to 10hrs battery life, Windows 7 Starter) - Black (discontinued by manufacturer) (Electronics)
This is the most stylish and compact netbook I have seen on the market. I am so glad I decided to buy this one over the others i had on my list, as i cant recommend it enough. I find the battery life really good for what i use it for, the screen is very clear, the aluminium styling just sets it off, it makes it stand out from the crowd, and the fingerprint scanner is very useful indeed!
Excellent value for money!

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent netbook, 12 Sep 2010
I brought this asus last week and must say i am very pleased with its performace,
It boots up quickly and has a very good battery life, (at least6 hours) hoping it will inprove on this with a couple more battery charges,
The body is very sturdy but weigh's very little so it ticks all my boxes so far,
I have increased the ram to 2gb and intend to fit a 500gb hardrive sometime soon,
In a word! A great bit of kit,

ivor

3.0 out of 5 stars Having problems with the fingerprint reader already; Windows 7 starter :(, 26 Mar 2011
Seren Ade (UK) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)

The outside is a dimpled surface aluminium and plastic that I don't particularly look forward to cleaning (it won't show fingerprints like some of the glossy earlier models did... but all those nooks and crannies for dirt!), but apart from that everything feels robust as usual. The monitor cleaning cloth and neoprene slipcover included with early versions of the eee PC have been jetisoned from this pack, so until you've bought a case you can't really take it with you unless you're willing to get the outside of your new computer all scratched. Fortunately there are some reasonably-priced cases to be had at the moment.

Duronic LS06 10.2" Premium Neoprene Laptop Pouch Sleeve for Notebooks upto 10.2 inch
Trust 10 Inch Compact And Light Weight Netbook Carry Bag 16580

The 1018P is the slimmest eee PC I've encountered to date and between its radical diet and the aluminium casing, it's pretty clear to see that ASUS have been looking to the MacBook Pro for inspiration. Fine by me: I love my MacBook, but there are times when it isn't the kind of machine I want to take with me.

Turning the 1018P on to use it for the first time takes a little while - there's a rather long-winded Windows 7 startup process and the inevitable yards of EULA to agree to before anything becomes useable. And then, after an MS-mandated restart, the fingerprint reader setup kicks in. I'm really unimpressed by the fingerprint reader. It's small and awkward to use (it's sort of inset into the user surface of the machine and doesn't accommodate your whole fingerprint). After MANY tries I can't get a decent set of readings on my righthand index finger... which doesn't fill me full of confidence in the idea of using fingerprint data instead of passwords to access confidential website material. If it's taking this long to get it to work at setup, what are my chances of ever being able to actually use this for its intended purpose? I give up on the idea - a shame, as it was one of the main motivating factors for selecting this model over a 1015PEM.

Next, the software. Star Office, the excellent MS-compatible suite of Office Programs which has appeared on many earlier incarnations of the eee PC has been replaced with a truncated version of Microsoft Office (Word and Excel in Starter versions only complete with advertising), leaving you light on Office tools functionality. A quick visit to Open Office sorts out the immediate problem of restricted Word Processing/Spreadsheets and NO presentation software. There is an included anti-virus package - but only on a 1-month trial - and a plethora of unwanted applications including a rather random ereader for the New York Times. Control Panel and add/remove programs, here I come!

And then there's Windows 7. Big, clunky, slow AND as the machine comes with only the Starter version bundled has some major restrictions. For instance, don't like the dull as ditchwater Windows wallpaper? Shame, because there's no native way to change it. Worse, if you make use of third party software to allow changes to be made you are, apparently, breaching the license agreement. Want DVD playback through MediaPlayer and an external DVD drive? Tough. Switch between users without logging out? Not going to happen. Backup to a network device such as a wi-fi hard drive? Nada. Microsoft have held these features back for the premium version.

Salvation is, apparently, at hand as even the start menu helpfully pushes you towards 'Windows Anytime Upgrade'... but the upgrade to home premium offered online from Microsoft comes in at roughly a third more expensive than the version available for sale on Amazon, so if you've got an external DVD drive then avoid this easy-seeming fix like the plague.

Overall, this is generally a nice enough, well-built netbook. It isn't quite as immediately all-round useable as some of the earlier eee PC models, has the atrocious Win 7 Starter and far too much unnecessary bundled software. But it's really on the fingerprint reader that ASUS have shot themselves in the foot.

OK, but could be so much better.

5.0 out of 5 stars best netbook there is, 8 Sep 2010
glad i chose this premium netbook over the others for its build quality, very sturdy with the metal casing, flush bezel and chiclet keys,, i love it but i did have a few initial disappointments, firstly the box was very bland and there was no sleeve for the netbook which you would expect at the price but no major thing, secondly BLOATWARE!!! ive never seen so much crap installed on a laptop before let alone a netbook, there were about 38 programs i had to remove and god knows how many running services to be able to get this netbook up to scratch, for teh unexperienced thius could be a problem but once youve got all that crap removed it is a fast netbook and not as limiting asyou might imagine even with windows starter and only 1gb ram, ive upgraded mine to ddr3 2gb and used a fast sd card reader dedicated to readyboost and put home premium on it and it works fast enough for me to run multiple apps and edit images and large documenst without slowdown which is much better than i managed on an acer netbook last year, as long as you know your limits and can get rid of the bloatware then this is a great netbook, solid built and some good extra features like ddr3, usb 3 and fingerprint reader, i do recommened switching the mouse gestures off on it tho for it to scroll smoothly, another thing i found a bit annoying is how bright the status lights are placed right under the screen but overall im glad i bought this overany other netbook

2.0 out of 5 stars Great for students and those on the go EDITED DUE TO FAULT, 11 Sep 2010
I loved the 1018p but a reoccuring issue has become apparent that has made me change my rating. It's the fingerprint scanner, it broke and then upon getting a replacement it broke again on the new one. This must be some kind of product fault im guessing seeing as its happened on 2 new out of the box laptops. It ws 5 stars for me but the fingerprint reader was a big reason for me choosing the 1018p so I have had to change it, its not worth the extra £100 on other asus laptops with the extra features not working so Im going to get a refund and by the 1001px, same laptop with a different look but over £120 cheaper.

SEE ORIGINAL REVIEW BELOW

I chose the 1018p after weeks of looking over the massive range of netbooks, mostly ASUS, but finally decided on the 1018p because of the few extra features it has such as the fingerprint reader and the new slim casing that sets it apart from the seashell range. I chose the silver model because it doesnt pick up any fingerprints unlike the black version which is more likely to show marks, something that drives me mad! One of the first things that struck me about the 1018p was how great it looks, the white lid is textured and looks very expensive unlike some of the cheaper netbooks out there, in fact, id say it is the best looking netbook ive seen yet. The inside casing is a nice brushed aluminum surface and the netbook as a whole feels stronger and more robust then any ive previously come across. On the inside there is a camera with a handy on off slide to keep you from sharing your webcam by accident, at the bottom you have a touchpad which is as big as some larger laptops ive owned and is very responsive with touch features making it easier to surf the web.

The battery life is a decent 5 or so hours for normal use such as going online and word processing (the quoted battery life is never a real figure). Once you boot the computer you will want to get rid of a lot of the pre loaded crap which seems to be a feature of all new laptops/netbooks nowadays. This will free up resources and help with load times (which are pretty good to begin with).

One of the standout features of this netbook in my opinion is the fingerprint scanner which can be used to log onto windows as well as websites and also to protect important files. It makes logging on to sites so much easier and is safer. I used to have the dilemma on my last netbook as to wether or not to save my login details for the various sites I visit seeing as netbooks are often taken to work/ Uni etc and there is a greater risk of it being stolen or misplaced. Saved passwords and logins whilst convinient are a risk should the netbook fall into the wrong hands whilst out and about. In the past the only alternative was to type them out everytime I went online which was a real pain. Now however I dont have to save any passwords to my browser or type my details everytime I go online, instead I just use the fingerprint scanner safe in the knowledge that if I ever misplaced the netbook no-one could access my online accounts, well, not unless they decided to make off one of my fingers also!

The only thing I was disapointed with was that unlike other ASUS netbooks ive had in the past this time there was no neoprene sleeve included! For the price of it its something I expected but as it happens I had to pay another £5 for a seperate sleeve. Besides this the laptop performs well in all areas, it looks expensive and is an attractive netbook, its secure, the keyboard does not feel cramped and the battery life is more then enough for most users, oh yeh and also its very light making it comfortable to take with you everywhere you go.

The only upgrade ill make it from 1 to 2gb of ram which will make it faster and for such a great netbook i think it will be worth it even though its fine for standard tasks as is. Asus makes upgrading the the ram very easy as they have made an easy access panel beneath the battery that just pops off making it easy for even a novice like me allowing it to be done in a matter of minutes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easily the best looking netbook as of this review, 29 Aug 2010
Where to start, the 1018p is the best looking gadget I've ever seen! Its tiny! I opted for the brushed black metal version which looks ace and isnt a finger print magnet. The finger print reader works great and can log you into your websites with ease as it asks you if you would prefer to swipe rather than type passwords, which is a handy way to get around key loggers I might add.
Boots and operates quickly, windows 7 starter is a lighter and in my opinion better version as its not resource hungry at all. Bundled Asus software is intuitive and easy to use and you get office starter 2010 with it which is handy. It has a hidden 15GB partition with your win 7 source files should you mess up your install.
Its light, very light, an will be coming on the train with me every day. Video play back is fine as its not a HD machine. If you are wanting HD playback get the Asus 1200 something, its very nice but the power comes at the cost of your battery. Battery life on the 1018p is brilliant, up to 10 hours and it has a button on it to switch between super speed and super battery, no going into windows power modes :)

All in all I rate this netbook 5 out of 5 for its looks, battery, finger print reader for us security geeks and 1.83GHz N475 Atom.

There is one improvement that could be made to this netbook and thats to have the full 2GB of RAM. I'll order mine today, apart from that its hard to fault it. Currently dual booting mine with Win7 Starter and Backtrack 4 R1.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it!, 17 Aug 2011
I use it for catch-up radio and TV and I love it! No longer tied to my pc I can take it round the house with me and listen as I work. Windows 7 and a touchpad were new experiences, but soon got the hang of it (I am 70).

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Netbook, 29 Mar 2011
Mr. Quentin Howes "moshkinstein" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This Netbook is very light and well designed, making it reasonably thin. Great advance in technology from the old Asus Netbooks. The graphics card and speed is reasonable. It is nice to see USB3 ports. I would only use this for basic usage, like watching movies, playing music, internet, etc. but I would not use it for games or any designing.

1.0 out of 5 stars Returned to Amazon, 20 Jan 2011
Arrived swiftly and well packed. It looks amazing and was easyish to set up. Netbook is slow and full of bloat ware. The touchpad buttons are ultra stiff and when you hold the left one down and scroll, the curser goes the other way. I tried updating the drivers but still no change. I used the netbook no more than 18 hours in total and the finger print sensor packed in, same message cannot detect sensor. Again tried updating drivers gave up and returned to Amazon. I am re ordering one without fingerprint sensor but not sure which one yet.