4.0 out of 5 stars They work, but they're not super-comfortable!
After the first normal cleaning head for my Oral-B rechargeable toothbrush wore out, I decided to try one of these whitening heads. They consist of a circle of quite-hard bristles surrounding a small plastic cap which is supposed to whiten the teeth.

Published on 26 Jun 2012 by Miss

3.0 out of 5 stars Not convinced & more abrasive than a standard head
Published on 25 Feb 2012 by Papillon

4.0 out of 5 stars They work, but they're not super-comfortable!, 26 Jun 2012
Miss "crazyminx" (Coventry) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Braun Oral-B EB18-4 3DWhite Replacement Rechargeable Toothbrush Heads - Pack of 4 (Personal Care)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)

These brush heads are supposed to clean the teeth as well as whiten, but the brochure that came with my original toothbrush recommended using a normal brush head first, then switching to the whitening head for one minute afterwards. This seems like an incredible faff and a waste of time, so I decided to just use the whitening head alone. I found that it cleaned reasonably well, but was not perhaps quite so good at cleaning in between the teeth as my regular brush head.

I did, however, notice an immediate change in whiteness. Whilst this isn't going to affect your teeth the way a whitening treatment would, and the difference is only likely to be small, I can confirm that there definitely is a difference, and the head helped with staining straight away. If your teeth are yellowed then you will need more than this to make them white again, but I would still recommend you try the heads as a little difference is better than none.

I should mention that I don't find these brush heads terribly comfortable. They feel slightly hard (verging on painful) on the gums, which I guess is probably due to the plastic circle. Therefore, if you have quite sensitive gums, I would probably suggest giving these a miss.

5.0 out of 5 stars Part or weekly regime, 17 Jan 2014
Trev-R (Boston UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
I only use these heads once a week with Pearl Drops non-abrasive toothpaste because I drink lots of strong black coffee. I find that this is enough to keep my teeth stain free. As part of a weekly regime they are excellent but I would not recommend them as a regular toothbrush head as they do leave my teeth feeling more sensitive.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not convinced & more abrasive than a standard head, 25 Feb 2012
Papillon - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
I've been using these with an oral B toothbrush that has a special setting for tooth whitening. While they leave the teeth shiny and polished I haven't had much success with lifting surface stains. As a tea, coffee and red wine drinker my teeth are prone to staining and I had hoped for a better result. I also find them a little more abrasive than a standard or floss action oral B head, so not great if you have sensitive teeth or receding gums. That said you will achieve the usual excellent oral B results. Would I buy again? Probably not.

5.0 out of 5 stars As good as any other toothbrush heads, 22 Oct 2014
red0209 (Newcastle, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
I bought these for my Braun Oral-B Triumph 5000 Five-Mode Power Toothbrush with Wireless Smart Guide after sticking to the standard Braun Oral-B EB20-8 Precision Clean Replacement Rechargeable Toothbrush Heads (Pack of 8) (Packaging May Vary) for many years. The "dentist inspired rubber polishing cup for naturally whiter teeth" in the centre of each toothbrush head is a mystery to me I must admit. It means that the toothbrush head is oval rather than round, with less bristles and probably a slightly larger overall area. Does this clean and whiten your teeth better than any other type of Oral-B toothbrush head? I remain to be convinced, although obviously I haven't carried out any scientific studies to verify the veracity of the claims. I brush my teeth twice per day, sometimes I use different toothpaste, sometimes I used mouthwash a couple of times per day and sometimes I don't. Having changed to these toothbrush heads for at least three months now, I don't notice any significant whitening of my teeth. I don't stand in front of the mirror saying cheese particularly often, but you'd notice if there was a significant change in the colour of your teeth, and I haven't (nor has anyone else commented). My teeth aren't particularly sensitive so I don't feel any noticeable difference when using these 3D White heads compared to the Braun Oral-B EB20-8 Precision Clean Replacement Rechargeable Toothbrush Heads (Pack of 8) (Packaging May Vary), nor do my gums bleed or feel any discomfort. I'm not a dentist, but in my unqualified opinion you're probably just paying slightly more money for something that makes little or no difference. Having said that, these toothbrush heads do clean as they are supposed to and I can't find any fault with them.

If you're bothered by such things, they are packaged better than other toothbrush heads tend to be as each head has its own little sealed plastic compartment within the packaging. The usual coloured bands are supplied for each head to help differentiate between multiple toothbrushes in the same bathroom, if you have that problem.

4.0 out of 5 stars A larger oval brush head with a gimmicky 'polishing cup', 21 Nov 2010
Chris Hall "DLS Reviews" (Cardiff, Wales) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
Length:: 1:05 Mins

The 4-Pack of Braun 3D White Rechargeable Toothbrush Heads can be fitted to most of Braun's Oral-B electric toothbrushes, but not their Pulsonic, Sonic Complete, Vitality Sonic or CrossAction Power bushes (as noted on the packaging). The heads come in separate sealed packages from within the main box, to keep each head suitably sterile and clean before they are used.

The heads themselves are of a similar length to the standard Oral-B heads. The brush head is however considerably larger, with an oval shaped rotating head sporting the unique `dentist-inspired' polishing cup in the centre. We are told that the polishing cup is specifically designed to remove stains in order to naturally whiten teeth.

After both my partner and myself tried out these new fangled heads, although the larger brush head is noticeable and you can feel the rubbery plastic of the polishing cup against your teeth and gums, to be honest, neither of us could really see or feel much else that was different to the standard heads that we have been using for years - let alone any noticeable results with our teeth afterwards. However, with use over a much longer period, it may be the case that the results slowly become more apparent; but from our 2 - 3 day trial period, the polishing cup does appear to be somewhat of a `scientifically-inspired' gimmick!

The bristles feel as soft as those on the standard Oral-B heads. The rotation action and speed seems the same, with approximately a 45 degree turn both clockwise and anti-clockwise. The most obvious difference to the user during brushing is the increased size of the oval head, which seems to creep over more of your gums whilst cleaning the fronts and backs of your teeth. This is certainly no bad thing.

After use, cleaning the entire toothbrush head is a doddle. Just run the brush under running water, and then pull the whole head off and run more water down the hollow channel underneath. This will clear out any excess toothpaste from the insides. Simple!

The four heads also come with the usual hard-plastic colour bands, to help identify the different heads if multiple users are using the same electric toothbrush heads.

The attached video shows the four heads with the packaging they come in; it compares them with a standard Braun Oral-B head; and it finally shows attaching the head to two different Oral-B electric toothbrushes (one recent-ish model and one much older model).

3.0 out of 5 stars Early days......, 12 Sep 2013
Bought these as seemed better value than some. Had not read that they included a rubber cup to remove stains from teeth. I do not have any to try this on fortunately. On using the brush head for the first time it did feel a little strange, but now getting used to. Certainly seem to clean fine, just not sure at this moment how long the head will last. Feels a little mechanical but am sure will get used to. Worth a try for sure.

5.0 out of 5 stars toothbrush tecnology, 20 Aug 2012
Yes I am getting old in the tooth, but my dentist recommended I try one of these new gadgets, have to say that so far I am impressed, better stay that way as I purchased 4 refill brushes at the same time

3.0 out of 5 stars Good quality, but expensive with unclear benefits, 27 Oct 2010
gerryg - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
It's difficult to assess the difference bewtween these brushes and say, these ones Braun Oral-B EB20-8 Precision Clean Replacement Rechargeable Toothbrush Heads - 8-Pack which are half the price.

The rubber cup in the middle, intended to remove tartar more effectively, feels like it might be more effective. However, it has to be said that ordinary Oral-B heads do quite a good job too.

A potential disadvantage is that these are less able to get around the tooth as the rubber centre is quite firm, unlike the normal brush centres.

It's very difficult to tell whether these are better. I shall continue to use the more usual heads and keep these for remedial work if needed (and will update here).

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value, 16 Sep 2012
I have a battery-operated toothbrush and these work perfectly on it. Nothing wrong with them. Clean teeth well with its 3D features.

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT FOR POLISHING TOOTH SURFACE, 10 Aug 2014
Valerie J. (West Yorks, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
I'm a coffee drinker and so I like to try and keep my smile white, naturally white. This toothbrush came with the toothbrush, the Braun Oral-B Triumph 5000 Five-Mode Power Toothbrush with Wireless Smart Guide which also came with the Floss Action toothbrush head: Braun Oral-B EB25-4 Floss Action Replacement Rechargeable Toothbrush Heads - Pack of 4 (Packaging May Vary). Although I tend to favour the Floss Action toothbrush (see my review), I use this one intermittently, several times a week, as it does a nice job of polishing the tooth's surface. I also, on top of that, use Colgate Plax Whitening Clinically Tested Stain Prevention Mouthwash - 500ml.

These brushes are great value. The one that came with my toothbrush lasted for 3 months and so I expect to get a year's-worth of use out of these. The toothbrush and these toothbrush heads are the best I've ever had. Oh, and I don't find them the least bit uncomfortable to use.

And that's my two pennyworth. :D