VINE VOICEon 22 August 2010
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I wasn't entirely sure what to expect when I received this Braun Series 3 380-3 Shaver, but I have to say I was very pleasantly surprised. The packaging and accessories which come with the product are the first things which caught my eye. The shaver comes with a charger, a little stand, a brush to clean the shaver with as well as a rather smart-looking case. All of this means that the shaver is extremely easy to charge, use and transport around. Initially the instructions tell you that a charge of around 4 hours is necessary, however with subsequent charges a 1 hour charge should be sufficient to get you back up to full power and if you are only after a quick shave then a mere 5-minutes charging time should be enough time. This is obviously an extremely attractive feature of the product. On the front are lights indicating the amount of charge (full-low) and this is obviously a handy guide.

The product can be used in the bath/shower. The head of the shaver is removable so as to allow for cleaning, and this will no doubt mean that replacing the head will be a less frequent occurrence than if removing the head were not necessary.

I guess, however, the main thing that would sway someone as to whether or not to buy a shaver would be the way it actually shaved and I have no complaints here either. The shaver provides a smooth and clean shave and is extremely comfortable to use. My skin can be irritated by certain shavers/creams etc. but so far this shaver has caused no problems whatsoever (there is a note saying that it has been designed for sensitive skin!).

So overall I cannot give this product any less than full marks as I simply have nothing to complain about-it looks fantastic, the accessories are fantastic and the way it shaves is well...fantastic!!
11 comment|85 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon 25 August 2010
Prior to receiving the Braun 380-3 I was using a Philishave 6851 (a triple head rotary shaver which is also waterproof - they don't sell it any more, but the nearest equivalent I can find on Amazon is this: Philips HQ8260 Speed XL2 Rotary Male Rechargeable Shaver - it's also very close in price to the Braun).

Over the years I've alternated between using the Philishave and wet shaving. I see little point in comparing the Braun 380-3 to a wet shave as that's the best you can get in my view, so comparing the Braun with a standard razor would be unfair. But a head to head with the Philishave is more interesting.

My Philishave is about 5+ years old but hasn't been used constantly in that time (say about 60-70% of the time). I've never changed the heads, only cleaned them (which can be done under running water like the Braun), but even after 5 years+ it's still just as effective. So here's how the two stack up in my view:

**Comfort** - Perhaps I've got sensitive skin, but I find that the Braun just irritates my skin when I use it. Of course any kind of shaving can cause irritation, but with the Braun I feel a definite burning sensation afterwards (significantly more so than with the Philishave). To be fair the manual does say your skin will need a week or so to get used to it, but in a head to head I think the Philishave wins this one.

**Closeness** - I can't really call it. Both do a good job but I find I end up going over the same area several times more with the Braun than the Philips, which probably explains the shaver burn, so I think the Philishave just edges it here (but not much in it really)

**Shaving Action** - The Braun requires that you keep the shaver at right angles to your skin at all times to get the most effective shave (with a little latitude due to the swivelling head). Here the Philishave wins hands down in my view as it has heads that pivot in whatever direction necessary to keep with the contours of your face. This also seems to result in a better shaving action.

**Trimmer** - Both do an effective job - no real difference in the end result, but I find the Braun trimmer slightly awkward to use as it slides up from the back and is therefore very close to the body of the shaver in use. The Philishave trimmer flips up at right angles to the body, so is easier to get into more awkward places (such as round the tops of your ears if trimming hair back there). If you only want to trim sideburns with it then there's no difference in performance.

**Use in Shower** - The Braun wins on this count, as the Philishave (both the one I own and the HQ8260) don't seem to allow shower use. To me this isn't important as I don't like shaving in the shower anyway, but if that's your thing then the Braun is a clear winner. Ironically, the manual says that to get the best result you should shave before washing your face, so this feels like a slight gimmick to me.

**Cleaning** - Nothing between them - both have removable heads and you can run both heads + bodies under running hot water to clean. Compared to shavers without waterproofing this is a real bonus - much easier and tidier than cleaning out shavings with a brush.

**Charging Stand** - The Braun wins here as my current shaver doesn't have a stand, so charging is a bit of a pain. But having said that newer Philishave seems to come with one as well, so nothing between them.

**Overall** - The slightly less effective shaving action coupled with the skin irritation I experienced with the Braun makes the Philishave the winner for me. However, if being able to shave in the shower is important to you then that may just tip the balance as the end result is pretty much the same with both.
22 comments|103 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 3 December 2010
I bought this shaver after I was fed up of purchasing new foils for my old Phillips shaver. This Braun shaver gives a nice close shave and my face is smooth to the touch. I would recommend this to anyone with a sensative skin. The only down side is that if you do press on your face too hard the head of the shaver falls off, but there again that is just me being a little too heavy handed. Charges up quick but needs charging around every 4th day. Look no further treat yourself its worth it.
VINE VOICEon 22 August 2010
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Brilliant, brilliant, brilliant! I've used electric razors in the past and not been impressed, not so with this one! This is well made with a great rubberised feel, good size and simple to use. Works phenomenally wet or dry, no razor rash, no pulling and no pain! Well packaged and very straightforward to use, just plug it in, charge it up and go for it. I was even more delighted with this because I have very sensitive skin and usually shave every 2-3 days, but with this razor that issue is dead!

The only minor downside I noticed is that if your beard is over 4mm, then you'd probably want to use the beard trimmer which flips up on the reverse side, then use the shaver as normal.

Well done Braun!
on 17 April 2012
I have been shaving since I was 12 and have always wet shaved. I need a shave every day so have spent a fortune on razor blades over the years. A friend of mine has recently purchased the Braun series 7 790 and says it is the best shaver he has ever had. I did not want to spend a fortune on my first electric shaver but didn't want to buy a cheap one either.
It has taken about 3 weeks to get a close shave but it has been money well spent.
If like me you are looking to buy your first electric shaver but don't want to spend too much money this is an ideal purchase.
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
having previously tested the braun 7 this cheaper more economical razor was a let down, whilst it had the smart foil that was also present with the series 7 the lack of other features was really telling upon use. whilst it does do the job required I personally think for an everyday product that it's worth paying out for the best. this item can be used in the shower and a five minute charge will be ample for a single shave. such a shame that I was spoilt with the series7.
on 28 August 2010
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
At first glace this seems like a really good product. It looks and feels really nice, fairly quick and easy to charge and very simple to use. It has an extendable trimmer which works really well for longer hair which make it easier to shave afterwards.
The shaver itself works really well on the facial area. It gives a close shave but does leaves some hair unshaved. Also, when trying to do the more difficult areas like the neck and throat this shaver doesn't work at all. It left loads of hair untouched even when going over the area over and over again. Went over the area so much that it became sore so gave up and had to wet shave this area with a razor instead. This isn't acceptable, especially with a product this expensive - it should work on all areas. I wouldn't buy a product like this is the future and using this one.
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
The first thing I noticed about this shaver was how comfortable it was to hold, thanks to rubber grips with indendations in them. Despite the slightly plasticy look, it feels sturdy and also quite solid. Unlike my old shaver, this one has a battery indicator similar to a mobile phone with bars showing how much charge and a light for "empty." This is useful as with my old shaver I was forever getting halfway through a shave before it conked out. Not very useful if you're away and forgotten the charging lead! There's also a light telling you to change the blades, which apparently comes on after 18 months. Whether or not you need to replace is another matter... I guess it depends on usage. Still, it might be useful to use this to check out if the blades are worn. You can reset the timer anyway.

My old shaver wasn't shower proof, but this one is, which is something I find very useful as I rarely have time to shave and get the kids and breakfast sorted out. I also find it's a smoother shave whilst in the shower, so this is a real bonus and reason enough to be pleased with the product. You can wash it out under the taps as well, and they thoughtfully supply a small bottle of oil to use afterwards to put on the blades. The shaving mechanism consists of three blades that swivel, and it adjusts well to my face. There's a timmer that slides out.

Comes with a small cradle, a charging lead, a hard clamshell casae and a cleaning brush. You can use the shaver with or without the cradle.

I am very pleased with the Series 3 - if you don't need any of the gimmicks around these days (Such as those that dispense nivea), then this is a good shaver.

My only concern is that it struggled with a few day's growth - I had to go over the same areas a few times. Maybe that's my fault for being so lazy, though.:-)
VINE VOICEon 1 September 2010
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I was very excited upon receiving this product. I have needed a new electric shaver for a while as my old philishave has broken.

Now on the box this shaver promises an awful lot with all the new 3 blade systems, high price tag and you can use it wet or dry!

However I am actually pretty disappointed. I have always used Philips shavers in the past, and this one in terms of quality, feel, and actual shaving does not come close.

It does not give a close shave as promised on the box and actually I found it quite painful.

Also the instructions are not exactly clear whether or not it can be used in the shower.

Now my old Philips shaver was cheaper than this, but so much sturdier and clearly better built.

This product is very overrated in terms of price and quality.
VINE VOICEon 25 October 2010
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
My son uses this and loves it. He finds it extremely easy to use both in and out of the shower. It also gives him a very smooth shave- much smoother than any other electric shaver he has tried. He also uses it for definition which it does extremely well. The only problem he has with it is that his dad keeps trying to steal it! It's that good!
Thoroughly recommended!