4.0 out of 5 stars Shades of Gray
Published on 19 Oct 2010 by Brian Hill

3.0 out of 5 stars Already a fan then OK
Not as good as the last one. As a fan it's taking a little time to grow on me and not sure it will convert many to the delights of David Gray
Published on 3 Nov 2010 by Paul J. Tompkins

4.0 out of 5 stars Shades of Gray, 19 Oct 2010
Brian Hill (Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Foundling (MP3 Download)
David Gray is so prolific I'll forgive people for feeling bemused. Having said that, I nearly didn't buy this album on the strength of comments which said it wasn't a bit like various earlier efforts, or even not up to earlier standards. As I say, being so prolific, Gray covers a lot of ground and I'll admit in that he repeats himself and throws in the occasional howler. I won't suggest names, because, for me, it is a matter of taste. One commentator slated several songs and put "Forgetting' down as the most interesting and innoivative. It's my least favourite track. I can see what it's doing but it just doesn't grab me. Of course, maybe it'll grow.

What I like about the album isn't what everyone likes. I do appreciate the melancholy. I like well-wrought lyrics and I will let those carry the song for me. For that reason, Foundling is introspective and moody but that's what it's about.

DG is a consumate singer-songwriter (witness the several covers of songs he's written in his career) and I'm sure that more of what he has written will be picked by others who will produce their own magic with his particular gold.

Anyway, if you like David Gray, appreciate the introspective and melacncholic in a song or two, buy it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Songs from a musty attic, 4 Feb 2011
Nicholas B. Gibbs "Nick Gibbs" (Brussels, Belgium) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Foundling (Audio CD)
This is an understated little gem. Both previous two albums had some superb songs, but were often let down by big production ('Life in Slow Motion') or an oddly unlovable mix ('Draw the Line'), as though DG was conscious that this was the next DAVID GRAY Album and so had to be an EVENT. Both seemed to be trying a little too hard. Shorn of those expectations, and coming out only a year since his last so as to slip below the radar, the attitude here seems to be less of 'This is my NEW ALBUM' and more of 'These are a few songs I've recorded', which may have thrown a few people. The difference is palpable: there's an organic, meditative, rainy Thursday afternoon feel about this record; the sound of an artist at work, at home. Production and mixing are (thankfully) minimal, which lets the songs and the performances breath. Only trying to please himself, he's made his most comfortable-sounding, honest record since the great 'New Day at Midnight', with much of the same airy 'vibe' that made White Ladder such a classic. He should do it more often. A slow burner, for sure, but it'll get under your skin.

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT VINYL, 8 Sep 2013
This review is from: Foundling [VINYL] (Vinyl)
GOOD MUSIC TO LISTEN TO FOR ANY OCCASION AND A MUST HAVE FOR ANY VINYL COLLECTORS AND MUSIC LOVERS

DELIVERY ON TIME

5.0 out of 5 stars Return to form, 27 Nov 2012
This review is from: Foundling (Audio CD)
If you found Draw the Line to be too glossy, commercial and polished so much you were left choking on the fumes then chances are you will find this album a return to form. Much more stripped back with the spotlight firmly back on the lyrical web that David Gray spins whilst Plucking his acoustic with minimal but powerful production.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it!!, 15 Nov 2011
This review is from: Foundling (Audio CD)
Bought this as was going to see David Gray in concert. Great buy! very happy with purhase and condition happy!! :)

5.0 out of 5 stars David Gray - Foundling, 13 Aug 2011
This review is from: Foundling (Audio CD)
Shear genius, I really hope his fan base does not get any bigger, he is crystal clear live. The best of his generation, the complexity of his music and clarity of his vocals is outstanding.

3.0 out of 5 stars Already a fan then OK, 3 Nov 2010
Paul J. Tompkins (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Foundling (MP3 Download)

4.0 out of 5 stars more of the same, 16 Oct 2010
paul "paul" (cheshire) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Foundling (Audio CD)
is it unfair to criticise David Gray for creating an album that sounds just like - well - David Gray?
It's a perfectly nice album to listen to but it just - to me at least - sounds too much like the rest of his work.
Whereas KT Tunstall's latest release is obviously still her but you can hear her music developing and moving on (to some mixed reviews admittedly) here DG seems to be standing still.
It's a perfectly nice album but nothing "new" from a musician who you feel is capable of doing more.

4.0 out of 5 stars Love David., 20 Sep 2010
This review is from: Foundling (Audio CD)
There's nothing this guy does that I dont have and love, his enthusiasm when performing is contagious, I have seen him many times live and each one was amazing.

5.0 out of 5 stars David Gray delivers again..., 1 Aug 2011
J. Rixon (Krefeld, Germany) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Foundling (Audio CD)
Finally I have got round to buying and listening to this album and, as always, the beautiful music sent me to another world. With traits of "Life in Slow Motion" and "A Century Ends" it reflects on and conjures all the accomplished writing of this great singer songwriter. An absolute must for any fan of David Gray or any music lover for that matter.

ARRAY(0xa68daf90)

Foundling
Foundling by David Gray (Audio CD - 2010)