on 7 November 2010
Having followed Ms Hyndes career for over 30 years I was pleased the read the hype swirling around this recording- a collaboration between one of the most revered female artists and her new boy on the block J P Jones. A document of their creative relationship -summed up on the excellent Perfect Lover. Perfect song writing and performances throughout and even a Christmas song. I will be buying more copies to put under my friends trees this year.
on 9 June 2012
This is the best album I have heard in a long, long time. Since the early Eighties, Chrissie had been my favourite female vocalist and I have liked (but not necessarily loved) all her material, some of which, Life in my Veins, Talk of the Town, Kid are in my all time Top 10. But this collection of songs moves her into an entirely different genre, and wow are they inspiring. Read the main Amazon review if you need the background, but suffice to say the love story played out in front of us is raw, gritty, with oodles of paasion and a touch of kitchen sink drama thrown in too. The music is in the main slow, a bit lazy (in a good way), a bit country. We are treated to Chrissie's golden voice with JP's hoarse gravelly tones laid on top. I disagree with the main reviewer about JP. I think his voice adds an edge to this album and contrasts really well with Chrissie's. But then again I love the lead singer of the Stereophonics! My favourite song is Meanwhile, but there are loads of absolute gems here. It gets better as you play it more. Buy the Cd so you get the sleeve notes and lyrics. Chrissie looks and sounds like a woman half her age... I'm looking forward to my fifties..
on 14 February 2011
Having been a Pretenders fan for over 30 years(!), I was a bit hesitant about this album at first. It took a few plays on 'Spotify' before it grew on me, now I listen to it everyday! Just love JP's gravelly tones, whilst Chrissie's voice just improves with age. The songs are so poignant especially when you know the true love story behind them. You can almost hear hearts breaking on 'Meanwhile' and 'Never Drink Again'. Lets hope there's lots more to come from this collaboration.
on 7 March 2011
Although this is a different approach taken by my favorite performer, it is interesting rendition of how she expands her horizons. I enjoyed it very much.
on 24 January 2014
I must admit the album is taking a long time to get in to it.There seems to be something missing from Chrissie on this album,maybe it,s just that her earlier stuff was aired more.
on 11 December 2015
This is an excellent album!