on 3 September 2010
There are a few things you need to know about this score. First off, Zimmer composed it "blind", essentially being made to work off the script, and not the finished film. This makes it an unpredictable and utterly separate work, with different pacing to the film.

He also hunted down a French sound-engineer to digitally rip out the opening trumpets from Je Ne Regrette Rien and wove it into the opening Foghorn style attacks. Slow down the Edith Piaf original and you'll hear it's the same.

Why did he do this? Well, since time stretches in a dream, so does the music. Remarkable.

Also brilliant is the track Mombassa, which has an unusual moment around 3/4 in where the brass section blast out 3 notes, all exactly an octave apart - a very unusual and uncommon moment in music. Again, it seems Zimmer may be pointing to 3 "levels" or planes within the music - of course if you compare the music to that point in the film, this "3 level" note makes perfect sense.

A wonderful, intelligent and ass-kicking album. GET IT.
Right up there with Zimmer's finest work on 'Gladiator' and 'The Dark Knight'. Christopher Nolan's films always feature fascinating scores and this is no exception. Dark, forbidding and utterly compelling, Zimmer's massed synthesier and orchestra conjure an almost physical wall of sound that is unrelenting and transcedent. The film is an instant classic and the score deserves to be judged likewise. A must for all movie soundtrack buffs and music lovers of any ilk.
on 18 July 2010
I cannot stop listening to this score. Absolutely outstanding. Nolan brings out the best of Zimmer. Like the movie, it is so layered and original. The best of the year..so far. Score and movie cannot be missed.
For a further treat, look up the Inception Premiere and Live Concert. About 7 minutes of interviews but 20 minutes of live performance. Just watch and listen.... and be moved. Emotional.
on 19 January 2016
I don't profess to have completely understood the film despite several viewings on Blu Ray. The soundtrack by Hans Zimmer is brilliant. Have only given this three stars as I am reviewing the vinyl issue and it is oh so crackly throughout both sides. I have requested a replacement.
The vinyl is clear. I am not a great lover of clear and coloured vinyls as they very often produce excessive surface noise but I think in this case the pressing is just poor.
I have now received the replacement but unfortunately it's just as crackly as the first. Have cleaned it a few times on my RCM but there is little improvement. The best track is Time the last on the second side. Just my luck this has the worst cracking and popping of all.i have looked at other vinyl reviews and no one has mentioned this noise. I suspect the supplier has a bad batch.. Will have to consider buying another copy elsewhere.
on 12 April 2013
I love this soundtrack and find the score written by Hans Zimmer leaves me wanting to listen to it over and over again. A must for any soundtrack collection, made me go looking for more of his work and buying more too!
on 21 January 2015
This soundtrack projects very well the world of the film.
You can hear the melancholy of the character's situation in the music - Cobb's lost wife, his desperate mission to get back to his children...
Also like the excitement of the chase through Mombasa which comes across in a fast phased tune and the striving for inception that can be heard in 'Dream Within A Dream' and 'Dream Is Collapsing'.

This is a very good soundtrack for an excellent film - I would say that if you liked the film, you should buy this music.

My only criticism is that some of the tracks seem to be quieter than others, when I listen in my car I can hardly hear some of them - works ok on my iPod at home though.
on 26 March 2015
The music and fil work exceptionally we together. The theatre I saw it at had an increased base, resulting in the periods of higher tension and pace reverberating throughout the audtitorium.

I have continued to listen to the music and would suggest this is a measure of how good I've found the tracks. For me it drowns out the general noise around me, and commands a certain amount of attention.

A rare combination of music and film that remainds me of how music can add increase the enjoyment of a film.
on 15 February 2013
I absolutely love this film & the score to.
The score encourages empowerment, particularly making housework, Epic!
Turn it up load, let it surround & enjoy!
on 3 July 2013
Walking out of the movie and realising that half my experience was the soundtrack. It's just amazing. Better than some of this others.
on 26 March 2013
Watched the film recently and just had to have the soundtrack. I don't normally buy film music but why not when it is as good as this?