5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely indispensible
There are three things that you have to know about Scott Kelby: i) he is possibly the most knowledgeable person about Photoshop on the face of the planet; ii) he has a rare ability to explain complex processes clearly, backed up by illustrations which are large and actually helpful; and iii) the man is as mad as a hatter.
Once you accept the fact that parts of this...
Published on 13 Aug 2010 by Ivan Strahan

2.0 out of 5 stars Misleading title, should be called, Camera Raw for digital photographers!
Being very new to Photoshop CS5 and having recently done a 2 day photoshop course, I wanted a book to compliment what I had learnt. Having read the reviews and also having Scott Selby's Digital Photography books, which are excellent. I decided this would be the perfect book to buy. I like his style of writing, easy, straight forward and simple to understand. However, that...
Published on 3 Feb 2011 by Jo

‹ Previous | 1 2 38 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Scott Kelby's Adobe Photoshop CS5 for Digital Photographers, 21 Mar 2011
You either like Scott Kelby's style or hate it. I enjoy it and for me it enhances the learning process. I already had his CS4 version and wondered whether it would be worthwhile to update my volume with CS5. I think it was worth it, so then sold my CS4 version on Amazon marketplace. Somewhat unconventional style, with a sense of humour - for me it works. Of course, the service from Amazon deserves its five stars - so five stars for Amazon and the book. Both highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not just an instructional book, its also a real fun read......, 14 Dec 2010
Mr. G. Bridgeman-clarke "Graham BC" (Rayleigh, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
........honest.

I have said it before and I will repeat it. I really enjoy Scott Kelby's books. They are well presented, easy to follow and there is a sense of humour running through them which makes each of his books a real joy to read.

I bought this book after seeing Scott Kelby in Islington at his roadshow. Nice fellow and entertaining from start to finish. Just like this book.

I have the previous books but this one covering CS5 has been re-written and is not just a re-hash of the earlier volumes. I use this as my bible when I wish to be creative in Photoshop and anyone using Photoshop CS5 is also recommended to do so.

A+++

5.0 out of 5 stars photoshop CS5 scott Kelby, 24 Sep 2010
Dr. M. Seltzer (glasgow, Scotland) - See all my reviews
I have read several of scott Kelby's books. this one is by far and away the best. He has a knack of explaining things and you can almost hear him speaking.
I would recommend this book highly to all users of photoshop CS5

1.0 out of 5 stars Scott Kelby CS5 Photobook, 18 Aug 2010
Excellent book my Mr Kelby, well the start is. From page 35 onwards the printing is very hit and miss. This is not Mr Kelby's fault, another example of having work done in the cheapest labour market? Will gladly alter my rating when I receive a fully printed version.

4.0 out of 5 stars Skip the waffle and there are some useful tips, 12 Oct 2010
This book could be a third of its size if the author was less inclined to waffle, but some may find his banter entertaining. That aside, there is some useful stuff once you learn to skip the various intros and speed read through to the bits that matter. A good example is Kelby's explanation of Mini Bridge in CS5 - far too windy. BUT Mini Bridge is a feature I previously ignored. Now I find it really handy when trying to select a specific shot from several that are similar. Similarly, I have long used 'Open in Camera RAW' to do some fast corrections, but probably in the wrong sequence to get the best results. Kelby suggests which sliders to start with when working on a shot and also checking out the Auto adjustment or use the highlight pyramid to turn the over exposed areas of a shot to a flashing red. I could go on, but these little pointers have helped me speed up what I want to do. Those who are Photoshop 'trained' will proably not need to read this type of material, but those of us who have had to learn the system without help can gain some useful pointers. For this reason I give this book the thumbs up. As an aside, the book is both Mac and Windows friendly.

5.0 out of 5 stars BobInc review Photoshop CS5 / Scott kelby, 5 Mar 2012
Scott Kelby's book Photoshop CS5 for Digital Photographers is excellent, but it is preferable if one has at least some knowledge of Adobe Photoshop and digital imaging workflow before diving into this book.
For instance, if you have already tried organising your images into folders etc and then tracking the edited versions you will be aware of the challenges and difficulties, which mean you'll read Scott's sections on mini bridge etc with more understanding of what these photoshop facilities give us the photographer/editor..

5.0 out of 5 stars Always the best, 22 May 2011
As ever with Scott Kelby books, this one gives you everything you need. Straightforward instructions and easy to understand. I also bought another book at the same time as this one regarding Lightroom - big mistake - I didn't get the Kelby one and I should have done.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book is a must-read, 14 May 2011
Though not a novice in photography and Photoshop I was very happy to get my hands on this book. It guides you step by step in a way not often seen, as it does not take a lot of things for granted which otherwise will get you lost. I especially enjoyed the chapters that deal with working in RAW. It explains the main features in an entertaining yet practical way. My understanding of photoshop has greatly improved and my photos come out much better. Warmly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Extremely useful guide, 14 Jan 2011
Greg F (Staffordshire) - See all my reviews
Hi,

Firstly let me say my copy has perfect print quality so it looks like the initial quality control issues are sorted out.

Scott Kelby does a really great job of explaining things in an easy to understand way. Yes the chapter intros are nonsense, they are meant to be though. The author is trying to write in a conversational way rather than an academic style so the intros are just light reading between the important stuff. The important stuff is well written by an extremely knowledgeable guy, Scott Kelby clearly knows his stuff.

The layout/style of the book allows casual readers who only want to jump to specific subjects to do so easily, this book doesn't need to be read cover to cover in the order it was wrote.

I would say to anyone with the software you won't get a much better instructional book than this.

Hope this helps

Greg

4.0 out of 5 stars A very usable book, 23 Nov 2010
This book is an excellent guide on how to do things in Photoshop and is written in the inimitable Kelby style. Whether you are new to Photoshop or an old hand you will learn from this book. Scott Kelby's approach is that of a photographer and the chapters deal logically with the way a photographer would work. In particular he deals with the potential problem of workflow and the chapters on RAW are particularly thorough. If you are a photographer and keen to develop your work, buy this book.

‹ Previous | 1 2 38 | Next ›