5.0 out of 5 stars A Fab Read!
The Elephant Whisperer: Learning About Life, Loyalty and Freedom From a Remarkable Herd of Elephants

Published on 22 Jun 2009 by Carol D

3.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful book.
Well written, heart warming and insightful, this book is a must for anyone who believes that elephants are sensitive, sociable and wise. In fact, if more people read it, we might see an end to elephants being imprisoned in zoos and circuses. If I could work out how to edit the star rating, this book would get 5 stars from me!!!
Published 15 months ago by MRS K GREGO

5.0 out of 5 stars A Fab Read!, 22 Jun 2009
Carol D (Stourbridge, UK) - See all my reviews

I have read many, many books in my time but none as good as this one. I can't say how often I realised that I was holding my breath waiting for the outcome of certain events. At times the book made me laugh out loud and also brought a tear to my eye. If you are a lover of Elephants this is a must read but also the people involved in the Reserve are rather nice and it's interesting to read how events affect them.

The herd of Elephants are fantastic but I also learned about other African Wildlife which I didn't know much about but found equally as interesting.

I couldn't put the book down but didn't want to get to the end either. I will definitely read it again and am hoping for an update with another book soon! I will miss my daily visits with Nana and her wonderful family.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 1 Sep 2009
This is an amazing book - not normally the sort of book I would pick up but once you do you cannot put it down. It is so heartwarming to read about so many people who devote their lives to the care and conservation of animals. A fabulous read.

5.0 out of 5 stars The depth of the beings of animals, 28 Mar 2012
I heard sadly that at the beginning of this month, Lawrence Anthony is no longer with us. He left an amazing legacy at the Thula Thula reserve in KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa, and his work with conservation, and wild animals. This is party recounted in this book. The author's love of the animals here is felt palpably in the pages of the book. It is a memoir that will keep you captivated. We learn of how the elephants would come out in a herd to greet Lawrence, and would actually start their procession when he was on the way back to the reserve. How when his flight was canceled at one point, the elephants actually reversed their procession to greet him. The mourning of the animals for young ones in their herd, the way that elephants herd guided a angry and half-demented bull away from the author and his colleagues, when it was about to charge. also how the author actually used inflections and changes of tone etc to communicate with the elephants, stopping the poised charge of a young female in the herd by saying 'Dont charge-its me"
Most amazing is the elephant's communication system through telepathy that stretches from herd to her across the continent

Also insights in to Zulu culture and spirituality, through the connections the author built up with the Zulu people on Thula Thula, who helped him run the reserve, and fight off poachers.
Interesting people such as Lawrence's French wife, Fracoise and the intrepid game ranger, David.

The accounts you can read of the mourning by the elephants after the passing of Lawrence Anthony, show us how animals have feelings often as deep as that of humans, and their attachments to both other animals and their human friends. And how they grieve the loss of their loved ones

5.0 out of 5 stars Love, love, love this book, 22 Jun 2009
Anna (Essex ,United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
At times this book had me sobbing my heart out and then I would be laughing and then crying again. It was a bit of a rollercoaster!

This book is well written, informative and contains some really heartwarming tales. Lawrence Anthony's experience with his herd of "troublesome elephants" is truly amazing an inspirational.

I'm recommending this book to everyone - so please buy it!

5.0 out of 5 stars PERSISTENCE, 4 Sep 2009
Anthony C. Macdonald (Ireland) - See all my reviews
THIS STORY IS A GREAT INSIGHT INTO SOMEONE BELIEVING THAT WITH TIME, PATIENCE AND UNDERSTANDING YOU CAN ACHIEVE GOOD OUT OF A BAD SITUATION.

THE AUTHOR, LAWRENCE ANTHONY, CLEARLY LOVES WIDLIFE AND WHEN THE OPPORTUNITY TO SAVE A SMALL HERD OF WILD ELEPHANTS CAME HIS WAY. HE MADE HUGE EFFORTS TO PREVENT THE DESTRUCTION OF THE ELEPHANTS AND CREATE A HOME FOR THEM WHERE THEY COULD RECOVER AND DEVELOP AWAY FROM THE STRESSES OF MODERN HUMAN LIFE AND ITS DESTRUCTIVE THINKING ON HOW TO RESOLVE A WILDLIFE SITUATION.

THE STORY ALSO SHOWS HOW INTELLIGENT ELEPHANTS ARE AND HOW WE CAN LEARN FROM THEM.

5.0 out of 5 stars Elephant Whisperer, 29 Jun 2009
Bought this for Fathers Day for my dad who has said that it is an excellent book, really interesting. He couldn't put it down once he had started reading it

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb, 31 July 2012
This book has to be one of the best I've read. It pulls you into a different world and the warmth, passion and understanding of Lawrence Anthony towards all life is a joy to read. I didn't want it to end. It's rare you come across such an uplifting, warm, easy to read, very sad in parts, inspiring book.
The loss of Lawrence Anthony to the world earlier this year is so tragic and there are few so dedicated, understanding, respectful and caring towards wildlife and humans as he was.
I can't wait to read his other two books.

5.0 out of 5 stars A truly memorable book, 1 Aug 2011
Oh, how I loved this book. What a lovely man Lawrence is, so humanely kind. So logical and sensible with a wise and in-depth approach to his relationship with his herd of elephants.

This book is definitely a 'must read' for animal lovers. It is happy and sad, and will increase your knowledge of elephants and the wild plains of Zululand and the customs and traditions of its people.

A truly wonderful book to hold onto as a treasure.

5.0 out of 5 stars I love Nana !, 4 Aug 2009
This has got to be the most beautiful and most inspiring book i have ever read.
Visit the Thula Thula and The Earth Foundation websites and be enthralled.

Right. Going to start his other book, Babylon`s Ark now.

5.0 out of 5 stars a wonderful book, 29 Nov 2009
CA Parr "mudderbee" (Rochford, Essex) - See all my reviews
The true story of one man and his passion for wildlife. You will laugh and cry and be amazed at the spiritual connection between man and beast. A wonderful book for animal lover's everywhere.