Colour Name: 6 Black Assorted Pen Set|Change

on 17 June 2013
I use these on a daily basis just for general drawing purposes and they are very easy to use and the colours are good.
The nibs easily maintain their shape and make it a pleasure to use them as they act more like a paint brush than a felt tip. It is therefore just as easy to use just the end of the nib and fill in small spaces of colour as it is when filling in larger sections using cross-hatching techniques etc.
It's also easy to get rid of black ink from them after use with fine line drawing pens e.g. Uniball fine liners. It just takes a few strokes on paper to get rid of the ink.
The brown colour is inbetween brown and red. All other colours are more like what you'd expect and just like the outer sleeve colours on the pens.
I will be looking to get some more in this range as it really is a pleasure to use them.
The only reason I give these 4 stars rather than 5 is that they are quite expensive.
on 25 March 2013
These are great if you haven't used a real brush pen, like the Pentel one. The tip is felt, and loses its sharp point very fast, after two heavy drawings or three or four light ones. After that, it's just a regular marker pen, and you can't get fine lines with it or variate the width of the stroke with pressure. I used to like these a lot before I heard of the proper fountain brush pens. I only use these ones for filling in areas now.
on 12 October 2012
These Pens are simply the best.. the fact that they are indian ink means that they don't soak thru your paper like a lot of other pens do, the brush end tho takes a little getting used to, but the scope of lines you can create are vast..
on 12 March 2014
I've been doing Zentangle for a while now and have felt the need for greys to use as a third 'colour' (after black and white). Pencil didn't look right somehow. Various shades of grey, rather than just one, seemed ideal. I searched online for packs, but they were all far too expensive. The Faber-Castell Pitt brush pens were the perfect solution.

As soon as they arrived, I made a little colour chart divided into warms and colds, giving the name of each pen, eg cold VI, IV, III (same for warms) and put swatches beneath the names. This helps me to find the correct shade of grey I need at any particular time. I keep this in the plastic pouch the pens come in.

If I want to go over the picture with a watercolour wash, once the ink is dry, it's waterproof as it's indian ink.

Excellent buy.
on 23 September 2013
PROs:
* A nice deep black colour, the ink does look like the indian ink you'd normally buy in a pot. Flows smoothly.
* Waterproof ink, which is good for colouring in your illustrations with watercolours.
* Comfortable to hold.
* They lasted longer than other reviews suggested.
* Nice sizes, and the brush is nice to use.

CONs:
* The lids don't fit properly on the pens, they easily fall off allowing the nib to dry out. Especially the XS one.
* Don't work so well on rough surfaces, such as 'NOT' watercolour paper.
* I wish there was a size smaller than the XS.
* The chisel tip is ok, but you're doing calligraphy there are much better quality pens out there than this one.

I'd definitely recommend this product, it's just the issue of the ill-fitting caps that make it a 4 star product rather than a 5.
on 12 July 2014
The effect produced by the pens are similar to felt tipped pens, except they are watercolour, some of the colours are easier to blend than others. I used the grey-blue to edge a building in my painting, but it looked so hard in comparison to the brush painted colour in the rest of the painting, so I tried to wash it away, but to no avail, this colour was hard and fast! Felt I'd ruined a promising painting, but ended up painting the rest of the building a dark colour so the pen drawn line didn't glare out at me. On the whole, I'd rather use a small brush and paint for thinner lines, rather than these pens, though I can see they could be useful when it is impractical to use water and paint.
on 15 January 2012
Very good value for money considering the quality and they are lovely colours. Excellent product, up to professional standards! They were a gift for an adult and considering the brand he thinks I've been spending a fortune on them! shh...
on 30 April 2013
Bought a pack of these to keep in my bag with my sketchpad and I'm really pleased with them so far. Very easy to use and with the inks being permanent I can wash over any sketches with watercolour or acrylic later on if I want to.
on 24 February 2014
These have been very useful for watercolour painting and I have recommended them to several people who also do watercolour painting
on 14 September 2013
Very good selection of colours, excellent value for the money. Great starter kit along with the Kaoiro pens and book bought as stocking fillers for my granddaughter for Xmas.