on 19 November 2012
I could not put this book down from the moment I started reading this - highly recommend this to everyone - awe-inspiring epic journey, I had tears at some moments. I would love to know if the guys did meet up again, and if they went to America to see Mr Smith, and just generally, how they managed to cope with the next 'chapter' of being back to civilization - that can't have been easy either.
Fantastic!
on 18 March 2013
Amazing true story of unimaginable hardship in which Slav, a junior officer in the Polish Army, recounts his escape with companions from a Siberian Gulag and trek for thousand of miles through Siberia, the Gobi desert and Tibet to reach eventual safety in India in 1942, I read this whole book over 2 days as it was completely riveting and difficult to put down. Probably one of the best journey stories I have ever read.
on 4 July 2011
I must start off and say I have a special interest in this book.
I first read this book when I was about 20 years old, following an amazing 'into the night' discussion with my "Polish Uncle". Married to my Dads older sister he is now in his 80's. I wish I could remember more of the details of his particular experience but the overall impact was immense - and this book felt very authentic and personal as a result. Highly recommend you read this before watching the film that is based on this and other accounts of the same journey, called The Way Back. If you want to understand the limits of human endurance and whether it is possible to survive such an experience with your humanity still intact - definitely read this. I am awestruck that I know someone who survived it and became the lovely human being I know!
on 2 February 2001
Like everyone else who has written a review of this book, it has had me in thrall. It is an incredible story of human endurance and courage but written without a shred of self-pity. Can anyone tell me - is this remarkable man still alive?
on 29 December 2013
I have read this book at least five times over a period of fifty years & I still marvel at the determination of a group of people thrown together in adversity, who underwent such an ordeal and survived through all that they were faced with!
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 8 December 2012
How the author and his friends escaped from Siberia and completed the journey over one year is outwith anyone's comprehension. I was utterly gripped from beginning to end and kept willing them on. Sadly they did not all complete the trek and even at journeys end there was a period when during recovery the mental and physical hardships took over. This is not my usual type of read but glad I downloaded it.
on 26 February 2015
easy read
on 16 January 2015
good read
on 5 February 2012
I was looking forward to a good read as I am not a lover of fiction but I soon became disappointed with this book.
It started off well and the trial seemed even handed for those dark days in Russia but when you learnt how long this trial lasted I soon started to question the validity of the storey. Then the long journeys first on a train truck in the depths of winter and then the long march behind trucks. He was wearing what he descride as a thin cotton shirt. Nobody could have survived in those wintery conditions for such a long period of time and hardly any food.
The wording in the book became what I would describe as flowery and it became more unbelievable as it went on.
on 18 December 2012
Very interesting book both in a historical sense and in a biographical sense that it displayed great endurance and personal courage that an individual can rise to. I found every part of it very interesting.