Re: Call To Mind
Format: Audio CDChange
Price:£7.91+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

...this is also a showcase for the dubstep genre.

"Re:Call To Mind" is based on Commix's original work Call to Mind. A record I've never heard but, I note, is held in very high regard.

The reason I came by this CD is that it contains remixes by two of my very favourite artists - Burial and Underground Resistance. Plus it's on Goldie's Metalheadz label - which rarely, if ever, disappoints.

Does it matter that I am unfamiliar with the source material? I don't think so - it still sounds fantastic. In fact it's probably the best thing I've heard on Metalheadz since Goldie's Timeless (though bearing in mind I'm only an occasional follower of the label). It's so much more than just the Burial and UR mixes - all the selections are equally strong. There's the ambient "Japanese Electronics (Instra:mental Moog Remix)", the Gerald-esque "How You Gonna Feel (Pangaea Remix)" and the more conventional dubstep flavour of "Change (A Made Up Sound Remix)" - all great, and that's just the first three tracks! And if it is a bit of Clifford Price you fancy head straight for "Strictly (Kassem Mosse Needs To Feel Edit)" with its slowed-down "Inner City Life" sample.

The full tracklist, since Amazon haven't (at time of writing) provided it:

Japanese Electronics (Instra:Mental Moog Remix)
How You Gonna Feel (Pangaea Remix)
Change (A Made Up Sound Remix)
Belleview (dBridge Belle Reviewed Remix)
Be True (Burial Remix)
Strictly (Kassem Mosse Needs To Feel Edit)
Spectacle (Two Armadillos 'Rhythm Of Life' Remix)
Emilys Smile (Sigha 'She's Still Smiling' Remix)
Satellite Type 2 (Marcel Dettmann Remix 1)
Satellite Song (Underground Resistance Remix)

The only downside is that the original LP now seems to be out of print so I can't check it out by way of a comparison (so maybe time for a repress?)
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Thank you for your feedback.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
on 21 December 2010
I was not familiar with the original album which was taken as the source material for these remixes but as an album standing on its own I find it to be a very varied an interested listen, more like a compilation than an artist album due to the varied styles of the different remixers. If you like your electronic music then I recommend this album highly.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Thank you for your feedback.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again