4.0 out of 5 stars Wonderfully touching read
To be completely honest, Stolen Child is not usually my type of read- however, I found the storyline compelling enough to attempt to read the book and I am so happy that I did.

Published on 8 Aug 2010 by Tina

3.0 out of 5 stars An OK read
I got this book based upon Amazon recommendation as I'd bought Emma's Baby by Abbie Taylor but this book was not nearly as good.

The main problem was I couldn't really connect with any of the main characters each of which write in the first person. I don't mind characters with flaws but there was no depth to anyone.

That said once I'd read half the...
Published on 12 Oct 2010 by C. Bannister

4.0 out of 5 stars Wonderfully touching read, 8 Aug 2010
Tina "Tina" (Montreal, Quebec) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Stolen Child (Paperback)

Stolen Child is about a young couple who has it all, until their newborn is kidnapped. What follows is a hearbreaking story of how two people who love each other and their child can slowly disintegrate - without ever finding the strength to turn to each other. Rather, both parents decide to cope with their loss in their own, isolated way - which eventually rips them apart.

We also meet a second couple - who finally managed to get the baby they have ever wanted, but, as karma so often does, we find that life will quickly turn around and make sure that destiny and fate continue to run the show.

The result is an absolutely difficult and heartwrenching book. I found myself bawling, more than once, which is something I hate in a book. However, I found the book so compelling that I could not remove myself from the storyline.

This is not for the faint of heart - it is sad and, at times, downright difficult to read - however, the prose, the plotline and the inner goodness of the main characters redeem this book totally.

3.0 out of 5 stars An OK read, 12 Oct 2010
C. Bannister (Jersey, CI) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Stolen Child (Kindle Edition)

That said once I'd read half the book the pace of the story picked up and I did want to find out what was going to happen in the end.

4.0 out of 5 stars A mother never gives up, 22 May 2011
This review is from: Stolen Child (Paperback)
The horror of finding your newborn baby GONE from the hospital cot next to your bed is simply unimaginable. "Stolen Child" explores exactly that. A couple who has it all, fame, success, money, beauty and finally their precious baby daughter Isobel to coronate their perfect life, disintegrates slowly but surely as news of the missing infant fade as time goes by.
Meanwhile, another set of parents get their long-awaited baby. However, despite the joy the baby brings, "something" seems to always be missing.

Pros: the story is written in a diary form by one of the characters, Suzanne, whereas we follow Carla's storyline (baby Isobel's Mum) in third person. There is a bit of back & forth with the past for all concerned but it is never confusing. All characters are well portrayed and the book is heart wrenching in several places, for several reasons.

Cons: the book should have been shortened by a good 50 pages at least, in my opinion. Also, I found some far-fetched discrepancies in the middle of the book in connection with Suzanne. I cannot say more as I do not want to spoil it for the future reader. Last but not least, I found the ending disappointing, but not in connection with the main story line (which made sense), but for the, again, far-fetched epilogue in connection with a certain relationship which I cannot disclose as it would be a spoiler.

I gave the book 4 stars as it is a quite a captivating page-turner nevertheless, but my true vote would be 3.5 stars for the reasons described above.

5.0 out of 5 stars Laura Elliot - Stolen Child - A Brilliant Read - Raw Emotion, 27 Jan 2011
Alessi Lover "C.A.D." (Knightley UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Stolen Child (Paperback)
I have just finished reading this book 'Stolen child' and was so impressed that have ordered Laura Elliots next book, as if that is anything like 'Stolen Child' pretty sure in for a brilliant read.

Emotional and full of the consequences of what one mother does to try to solve her own problems, only to find that it has massive fallouts for all concerned.

You feel for Carla, even though she shows a harsh and career jetting life (almost like hard as nails type). Not one for stepping on others toes and thinking anything of it. The other mother Suzanne, she has her own demons, these come out more as you read more of the book. The two families get their lives intermingled in ways you never thought.

Such a great emotional way in which it is written, all I can say is please write more.

The back cover of the book does give away alot of the plot, but not the way in which the emotional fall out happens.

Not a quick chick flick read in anyway, a more fueling read.

Yes, you will cry at some points, wonder how and why a mother can do what she does and yet still feel as though you have had a good read.

4.0 out of 5 stars A good read, although slightly slow to start, 29 Sep 2010
This review is from: Stolen Child (Paperback)
Based on what I had read about this book I was looking forward to reading it although, I did find that the blurb on the back of the book gave slightly too much away.

To begin with I found it quite difficult to get into this book and thought it took until around half way through before the story really picked up the pace and it was from that point that I was unable to put the book down, intrigued to know how it was going to pan out for all the characters.

At times this is a difficult and harrowing read and yet it's story is intriguing enough to keep the reader glued to the pages. Each chapter of the book is told from a different characters point of view (either Carla's, Susanne's or Joy's). I personally found Joy's chapters the most enjoyable and also thought that she was the most likeable character of the lot.

Overall, this is a good read which gets better the further you progress you through the book.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Mother's love, 2 Jun 2012
Lindsey Jane "booklover" (cumbria United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Stolen Child (Paperback)
I picked this book up in the local supermarket and after reading the synopsis, decided to give it a whirl. Wow! What follows is a real rollercoaster of a read. At times the subject matter is truly heartbreaking; as a Mother myself, I could not imagine the heartbreak which Carla endures after her baby is taken as a 2 day old. The years in which she pursues the hope of being reunited with her child cost her her marriage, her public image and at times even her sanity. Yet her belief is relentless.

The characters of Susanne the kidnapper and Carla have so many parallels and there are a lot of similarities and parallels in the book. I loved the way the author switched the narrative between the first person and the third person when she tells the story from Susanne, Carla and Isobel/Joy's perspective. The prose was richly detailed and the writing flowed. I loved the different themes which the author used in her narrative and how she showed the ups and downs of motherhood. I totally found myself immersed in the plot and the storyline never waivered. I loved the element of coincidence which the author used within her writing . I also liked the way in which Susanne documents her kidnapping of "Joy" in a journal, which is her own conscience. Although she takes the child after her own baby dies, she never really experiences the "joy" she so desperately seeks. Raising another woman's child is ultimately her downfall and affects her relationships with the child, her husband and mother in law. Her outpourings in her diary are her way of coping as she can never relax knowing the awful crime she has committed and seeks to live in isolation. Her diary is her way of judging her own actions and rationalising them. Moreover, as with Carla, her own marriage suffers. She detests the intimacy which Joy shares with her father, David. When she makes this known, unaware of the truth, David feels repelled by her comments. The deceit affects Joy as she constantly seeks approval from her Mother, not realising the awful truth. Indeed, when Joy/Isobel is finally reunited with her parents, the issue of identity is a major issue to her. So much so, she feels she can not use the names which have been given to her as she feels she is not either of the people who she thought she was or is expected to be.

This was such a wonderfully constructed book, with characters you really warmed and empathasised for. It deals with such an array of emotions which really impact on you as a reader. Although it is very upsetting, ultimately, I love the way the author shows how family are not necessarily the ones you are raised with or born too. You can mould your own family members. I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book and thought it was brilliantly plotted. I am so sad to have ended it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Terrible, 21 May 2011
V. Franklin (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Stolen Child (Paperback)
I thought that the blurb of the book sounded promising and the reviews are generally good. I was really really dissapointed, I had to force myself to struggle through chapters of drivel and pointless characters that added nothing to the story or the plot. It just ambled along towards a more than predictable ending. Would not recommend.

3.0 out of 5 stars lost interest., 17 Sep 2011
This review is from: Stolen Child (Kindle Edition)
I thought this book started off really well, and I could'nt put it down, a young couple who have a baby she an ex model, and another couple yearning for a baby , the storyline is really good although I was not fussed on the way the book is written....and by the time I reached the middle of the book I had just about lost all interest, and skipped over to the end.

5.0 out of 5 stars BEST READ FOR AGES, 4 May 2011
This review is from: Stolen Child (Paperback)
YOU WILL NOT BE DISAPPOINTED WITH THIS BOOK, IT HAD ME FORCING MYSELF TO STAY AWAKE SO I COULD READ THE NEXT PAGE, THEN THE NEXT. I READ IT IN 2 NIGHTS. YOU WOULD THINK YOU ARE READING A TRUE STORY (BRILL)Stolen Child

4.0 out of 5 stars Didn't stop reading, 4 Jan 2013
This review is from: Stolen Child (Kindle Edition)
This book kept me quiet for a few days, I loved how we had 3 different views of the terrible trauma of a stolen child.
The chapters are short and easy so you could fit a few in on a lunch break or continually read through loads at a time (if your like me), the relationships in the book grabbed me, I felt sorry for all parties and it makes you think about the fragility of the links and bonds we hold with others.
I would recommend this book, a nice easy holiday read.

Stolen Child