4.0 out of 5 stars LED Kitchen Lights
Looking at issues defined by other users, the problems with LED spotlights highlighted are

1. Not powerful enough.
2. Beam too narrow
3. Light has blueish tint.

Published on 16 Dec 2011 by Peterby the sea

3.0 out of 5 stars Good for a spot, not for general lighting
I bought one of these to replace one of 5x50w halogen spot lights that light up the kitchen. The bulb is advertised as having a 45 degree beam angle whereas halogen apparently has a 38 degree angle.

Published on 20 Mar 2011 by DT

4.0 out of 5 stars LED Kitchen Lights, 16 Dec 2011

1. Not powerful enough.
2. Beam too narrow
3. Light has blueish tint.

We ordered these to see how we would get on with replacing the halogen bulbs in our kitchen. The kitchen has 4 lighting tracks with 4 x 50watt bulbs in each. We do not use them all at once but it is a lot of electricity all the same.

The bulbs fitted in no problem.

1.The lights are bright enough. I would caution anyone thinking of less than 6watt led. They seem to be somewhere between a 35watt halogen and a 50watt halogen.

2.With each of the bulbs having 3 beams of light, I was happy with the beam but they are still a little narrower than halogens.

3.The light they give out is definitely different. Our house has been split in half. Of the 4 of us, 2 hate them and 2 like them so my advice is try a couple before ordering loads.

On the financial side the bulbs have an expected life of 50,000 hours. This is 50 years or more of average use of about 2.5hrs/day. If one assumes that a 50watt halogen bulb is replaced by a 6watt led and that electricity is 15p/unit and that you will have the bulb on for 1000hrs a year(about 2.7 hours/day), then the electricty cost over 2 years for the halogen is 15 and 2 for the LED. As the bulbs cost 12, payback is in 2 years.

In conclusion we are not buying any more for the moment, even though savings are massive. We feel that better (and cheaper) bulbs will come onto the market. I would encourage others to give them a go.

4.0 out of 5 stars First fit LED's, 9 Aug 2011
(Beats 3w and 4w LED GU10 and CFL Fluorescent Energy-Saving GU10 Lamps)
This is the first time I've fitted multiple LED's as the ones I've tried in the past have not been up to scratch. I bought seven of these bulbs to replace standard 50W GU10's. The quality of light is definitely different to that of halogens and I would say that if you require super bright, super duper well lit areas then LED's are not for you ... they are not quite up to 50w Halogens but they are not far away.

These bulbs do give the impression that they are slightly different shades but I have found that when placed in adjustable fittings it is more to do with the angle and proxmity of the adjacent walls rather than bulb variation. Again the quality of light is different but I've been happy with the resultant effect and it is more than good enough to work under.

If like me you have loads of halogens around the house I would suggest purchasing enough for one room and trying them as they definitely give a different quality of light but I dont think you will be disappointed with the result. My bulbs are fitted in a living room area and for the last 4-5 months have been switched on and off regularly without any failure's so far.

I'd like to buy more of these .... maybe the 80 or so I need to do the entire house, and I would initially have given these five stars but even though they are on sale at the moment, LED's are still pricey, so I'll give them a bit longer to see exactly how long they do last...........

5.0 out of 5 stars Well pleased!, 1 Oct 2011
A. T. Thattai (Yorkshire) - See all my reviews
(Beats 3w and 4w LED GU10 and CFL Fluorescent Energy-Saving GU10 Lamps)
My kitchen is fitted with a series of 40W GU10 halogen bulbs, which last six weeks on average. I'd tried a range of LED bulbs, but always found them either too cold white or too sickly yellow, and nowhere near bright enough. These Edison bulbs, in contrast, have hit the spot. I bought one as a trial, and then immediately ordered 3 more. I think I'll be changing the lot over to Edison bulbs over the coming months.

The light is a bit whiter than a typical halogen bulb, but it's very close - the 2800K estimate in the specifications seems quite accurate. The light is noticeably brighter than the 40W bulbs I was using earlier. I can't tell if it's quite as bright as the claimed 50W, but it's probably not far off.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good, strong light and a wide beam angle, 4 Nov 2011
(Beats 3w and 4w LED GU10 and CFL Fluorescent Energy-Saving GU10 Lamps)
I've tried various makes of LED replacements for 50W Halogen GU10 lamps, usually with disappointing results. This is the first one I'm entirely happy with. The light is very bright and the colour is pleasing. I use several of these to light up a kitchen worktop, so the wider than usual beam is much appreciated.

5.0 out of 5 stars well worth the money, 1 Nov 2011
K. Lyne - See all my reviews
(Beats 3w and 4w LED GU10 and CFL Fluorescent Energy-Saving GU10 Lamps)
I was really surprised how natural the light was from these bulbs - not too white or too harsh at all
the halogen bulbs I had been using used to blow regularly, sometimes tripping the fuse in the process, so I am really pleased to have found these replacements
I hope they really do last as long as is claimed, though, as replacing 6 bulbs has cost me the same as my electricity bill for 7 weeks!

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent, 19 Oct 2011
(Beats 3w and 4w LED GU10 and CFL Fluorescent Energy-Saving GU10 Lamps)
best gu10 led bulb i have ever used bar none. Yes its a very white light, not blueish or yellow which is actually quite nice but could take a little getting used to. ordered for the kitchen to replace 50w halogens and they are easily as bright but much nicer more focused light. just ordered some more for other rooms, great price too.

Update: had one fail after two months. Wait and see how the others go....

3.0 out of 5 stars Good for a spot, not for general lighting, 20 Mar 2011
(Beats 3w and 4w LED GU10 and CFL Fluorescent Energy-Saving GU10 Lamps)

While the beam angle may be 45 degree (I didn't measure it) in real terms the beam has a much sharper cut off than a halogen bulb so it appears much narrower. The quality and intensity of the light was very good but it left me with a bright narrow spot.

If you really want a spot light then it will not disappoint, but I bought a 5W SMD bulb instead and am much happier with it.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not a good replacement for ceiling 50W GU10's, 6 Mar 2012
John_Atkins "John" (Totnes, Devon, England) - See all my reviews
(Beats 3w and 4w LED GU10 and CFL Fluorescent Energy-Saving GU10 Lamps)
Having read mostly good reviews here I decided to buy 4 of these bulbs as a test. In hindsight that was foolish. I should have bought 2 for one small bathroom as a test instead of 2 for each bathroom.

The good points are: cheap for low power GU10's and a good fit in standard ceiling sockets. The main bad point for me is the poor quality of light. I feel that is partly down to the narrow beam angle but I'm no expert. They are described as 45 degree but look much narrower when the beam is viewed in a steam filled bathroom. I will admit the light is quite bright directly below the lamp but the general area from ceiling to about 3 feet below the ceiling is very dull and poorly lit. That might sound like a silly complaint (who cares about that high up in the room?) but it gives the whole room the appearance of being dull and strangely lit. I personally don't like it at all.

I would expect that in places with lots of these bulbs or if they are used to light work tops they probably look fine but as replacements for my ceiling lights, they are not suitable.

In my opinion they are not a good replacement for ceiling GU10's but that obviously conflicts with most other opinions here.

5.0 out of 5 stars As good as 50w Halogen, 8 Jun 2011
S. Baird - See all my reviews
(Beats 3w and 4w LED GU10 and CFL Fluorescent Energy-Saving GU10 Lamps)
Tried various LED lights in the past, with some disappointment. Bought one of these and replaced a 50w halogen GU10 bulb. Its slightly whiter, less yellow, not actually bluish though, which is fine. Also perhaps 0.5cm longer than the (Wilkinsons) GU10 it replaced, all at the stem end. Diameter seems the same...so it fits fine both in a recessed ceiling fitting where the socket depth is adjustable, and in a hang-down type ceiling fitting. Beam more focussed than halogen, and I think its about as bright as 50w...as its whiter light its difficult to be sure. Certainly pleased, so I'll get a loan out and replace the other 8 GU10s in the room.....its a bit like roof mounted photovoltaic cells, I'm sure it will pay for itself if it lasts long enough?????

5.0 out of 5 stars great lights, 21 Oct 2011
(Beats 3w and 4w LED GU10 and CFL Fluorescent Energy-Saving GU10 Lamps)
They are bright, have a nice colour tone, fit and look good: exactly what so many other LED lights arn't. I will buy them again.

ARRAY(0xae3e2f60)