5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Choice
My previous amplifier was a Dual CV 5600. I'd had it for over twenty years and it had started to act a bit strange so I needed something to replace it. In my opinion the Teac A-R650 was an ideal choice.
Published 11 months ago by scarecrow

1.0 out of 5 stars Faulty machine!
Within ten minutes of using this amplifier it packed in! Would definitely not recommend it. Very disappointed - buy at your peril.
Published 3 months ago by Mr M J Shenfield

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Choice, 1 May 2013
scarecrow (Doncaster, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: TEAC A-R650 Stereo Amplifier (Electronics)
I've got three sources connected to it. My cd player, which unsurprisingly is connected to the cd input, my television, which is connected, (via the analogue audio output on my digital television recorder), to auxiliary 1 and my dvd player which is connected to auxiliary 2. All work perfectly and sound great.
It's difficult to talk about sound quality because tonal preferences are very subjective. All I can say is that it sounds clear and natural. If you are used to a warm, deep, rich bass sound then this might not be for you. Personally, I have always preferred a clear, clinical treble bias and this suits me just fine.
One word of warning; the unit is something of a behemoth so you need to take careful note of the dimensions and make sure it will fit where you are wanting to put it. You also need to allow reasonable clearance at the sides and top for ventilation.
I do have a couple of minor gripes. First of all I love the fact that the volume dial is calibrated because once you've determined your preferred volume level for each source it makes it so much easier to find it again in future. I would, however, have preferred a straightforward numerical sequence such as 0-10, (or 0 - 11 if you happen to be Nigel Tufnel), or 0-100 rather than decibels. I know the techies will like it because it's scientifically accurate, but I'm afraid having high numbers for low volumes and low numbers for high volumes just offends my logical sensibilities. For the first few days I honestly thought that someone at the factory had accidently put it on back to front until I read up about decibels online.
My other quibble is that I would have preferred the speaker connections to be the sort that accepted banana plugs rather than the ones you have to stick a bare wire into. Just too damn fiddly for my liking, especially if like me you use flat bi-wired cable.
Update: since writing this review I have discovered that the speaker connections will accept banana plugs afterall. Instead of unscrewing the connection housing to reveal the side hole, use a thin ended screwdriver to prise out the little coloured plastic plug in the end. Depending on the diameter of the banana plug you might have to compress it using pliers to get it to fit.

4.0 out of 5 stars Like it!, 23 July 2013
This review is from: TEAC A-R650 Stereo Amplifier (Electronics)
The amplifier may be part of what is becoming an outdated approach to music delivery but it is well-built, very easy to set up and use and delivers excellent music across a wide range of styles and has more than enough power for a large room. I'm very happy with it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic amp, 10 Oct 2013
This review is from: TEAC A-R650 Stereo Amplifier (Electronics)
Product arrived promptly and in pristine condition. This amp replaces my 20 year old Technics amp which finally started to die. The Teac has a warmer sound, and works perfectly. Very good value for money and I am a very satisfied customer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Delighted with my purchase, 16 May 2013
This review is from: TEAC A-R650 Stereo Amplifier (Electronics)
I had an amplifier for 20 years which cost a great deal - I never thought I would get one as good but find this is better.
I am so pleased with my purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT AMPLIFER!, 9 Feb 2014
Mr. S. Roberts "syd roberts "gunfighter"" (northern ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: TEAC A-R650 Stereo Amplifier (Electronics)
Bought this amplifer to replace my Denon, which started to act funny when switched to other channels and I found this one to be miles better than any amp that I have ever had, I have been buying Hi-Fi for over 40 years and this is one excellent piece of kit.
Would have no reservations about giving this Amplifer 5 stars. Great unit at a great price. Sydney Roberts N.Ireland.

5.0 out of 5 stars Exellent Amp, 7 Jan 2014
This review is from: TEAC A-R650 Stereo Amplifier (Electronics)
After many weeks and more, trying to decide what replacement I should purchase for my old Technics Amp, which finally gave up the ghost,,I decided on the Teac A-R650 and am I glad I went for it.For the price and bang for bucks the bang is outstanding.I read all the reviews on it and that was a big factor on my decision and that TEAC have been in the audio market for a long time.When I put my system together MANY years ago I had looked at TEAC but went for Technics instead, which is also highly rated.The amp itself looks nice, black and quite big, nearly twice the size of the Technics one.Sound wise its fantastic on all formats, CD,Vinyl and Cassette tapes.If your in the market for a new amp give this one a good look at,price wise and quality you won't beat it...

1.0 out of 5 stars Faulty machine!, 2 Jan 2014

4.0 out of 5 stars Sounds great!!, 25 Dec 2013
This review is from: TEAC A-R650 Stereo Amplifier (Electronics)
Powerful, no distortion, lots of input lines, fair price!

Just one note: leds on my version are not blue as those of the photo, but green (source direct) and yellow (inputs).

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Amp, 3 Dec 2013
This review is from: TEAC A-R650 Stereo Amplifier (Electronics)
This is a really great amplifier. It sounds clear and natural - producing a great sound from all of my different audio sources (tuner, CD, phono, cassette, mp3). The power available is fantastic and coupled with a pair of decent speakers (I use Tannoy) can produce music that can be heard all over the house! The tone controls can be completly bypassed and it also has a loudness function. Note that although it has 2 tape sources (tape1 and tape2), you can only record onto tape2 from tape1 as a source - you can't record onto tape1 from tape2, although you can record from the other sources onto both tape1 and tape2. You also can't listen to one source and record from another - you only record from the selected listing source.

This unit is quite heavy and bulky so you need to take careful note of the dimensions and make sure it will fit where you are wanting to put it. You also need to allow good clearance all round for ventilation. Nothing should be stood on top of it as can be done with some other amplifiers.

Highly recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars Amplifier, 2 Feb 2012
This review is from: TEAC A-R650 Stereo Amplifier (Electronics)
Exllent piece of kit for the money, very good sound quality even at low volumes matches well with my Tannoy V4 speakers.

ARRAY(0xaccdc87c)