VINE VOICEon 12 March 2008
This is one of the best books about BPD I've read. It's up-to-date, nonjudgemental, and above all balanced. The authors are compassionate towards those with BPD, but don't shy away from mentioning the devastating impact the disorder can have on loved ones. They provide a good overview of different theories about BPD, and different treatments that may help, acknowledging the strengths and weaknesses of each. They don't oversimplify anything, yet they take care to explain things in a way a lay person can understand. They stress the need for professional diagnosis and treatment, yet encourage the sufferer to take control by reading up on the disorder and learning some healthier coping skills.

The first half of the book provides information about BPD, including a discussion of possible causes, and an excellent chapter on the prospects of recovery. The authors not only believe that recovery from BPD is possible (and back up their opinion with recent research findings), they look at common obstacles to recovery, and explain which symptoms you can expect to improve first. The chapter on self-harm is also intelligent and sensitive, with a very good understanding of the different reasons why people may hurt themselves.

The second half of the book combines information on treatment with some self-help suggestions for dealing with suicidal thoughts and overwhelming emotions. One drawback here is that the information on accessing treatment - as you might expect from an American book - only refers to the US and Canada. However, the information on what different treatments involve and on how effective they are is excellent. The main treatments discussed are DBT, mentalisation-based therapy (which I hadn't even heard of) and medication. The coping strategies are drawn mainly from DBT and are a fantastic starting point. The authors also point you in the direction of further resources, namely Get Out of Your Mind and into Your Life: The New Acceptance and Commitment Therapy and Skills Training Manual for Treating Borderline Personality Disorder (Diagnosis & Treatment of Mental Disorders).

I really recommend this book as a source of information, hope and coping strategies for all those affected by BPD.
11 comment|87 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 4 February 2010
This book id written in such a way that's easy to read and so non judgemental I just want to eat it it's so good!
Alex Chapman and all those others who helped bring this book to the shelf....I salute you. You've made me a lot stronger and more able to deal with my illness. Perhaps can now explain things better to those who care about me too.

This is the first book i've come across that isn't just for people who Know someone with BPD, its also written for the BPD sufferer.

Top marks!
on 2 March 2011
Firstly being advised from my GP he 'thought' it was depression and then prescribing meds for this, then after review changed to Bi-Polar - and with it more meds! It was eventually, after many consultations, many 'I don't think it's depression or bi-polar' meetings, I was diagnosed with BPD. Never hearing about it and immediately hearing the word 'Borderline', all sorts of negativity set in.
There are multiple websites and many with conflicting information which made it more difficult to understand.
I ordered this book and even after the 2nd page, I felt as if a weight had been lifted; felt that at last, I wasn't alone and also that someone understands!
The book has been written in a non-judgemental manner and incorporates all the aspects as currently understood, of BPD.
This book gives scenarios and an unbiased view of possible causes that contribute to the making of BPD.
Yet there were sections that weren't applicable to me, many indeed were and I feel that I am no longer alone nor should be embarrassed to have BPD.
I have read valuable tips and TBH, I am thinking a lot more clearly now about my actions and emotions - all thanks to this book!
This book is ideal if you have recently been diagnosed and do not understand what BPD is. It will open your eyes to the make up of BPD and help assure you that you are not alone, it can get better and that you are not insane!
on 29 November 2010
I have BPD and this is the first book which actually deals with the subject realistically and sensitively. We are not freaks and manipulative weirdos like so many books choose to paint us as. If you have BPD I highly recommend this book as I literally sat there nodding and agreeing with every paragraph written - it was as though someone had written a book about me! But also, it has loads of useful information on where to get help, how to handle the dangerous emotions, the impact on others and it is a good book for families, carers, friends etc to read too - I gave it to my parents to read so that they would have a better understanding of the condition. Even though it is written based in America it is easy to apply to UK (although people with BPD may be tempted to move to the States due to the better services available there!). Only warning for people with BPD - I found it very emotional reading something where someone had such a good understanding of what was in my head etc and so there were a few tears at first but stick with it and they pass. This book should be given to the mental health departments of the NHS and they should be forced to read it! Can not praise it highly enough.
on 28 August 2010
I got this book cos was diganosed with BPD in 2007 and I struggle with this everyday even I cannot understand my disorder and when you have to try and explain what it is to people they dont get it.
So now I give them this book to educate themselves and I have read this book and it is really helping me out with things.
There is no cure for BPD and if people could help us a little in understanding as to why we get angry and suicidal then the world would be a much better place.
It goes into depth as to why people meet the critera of the disorder as it explains that in the book.
It is well worth a read I just wish there was more help out there for people like me and other people who suffer with the disorder..
Anyone who has tried to get information on BPD will know that there is still stigma attached to the condition and the large amount of information floating around to reinforce this stigma really doesn't help matters!

I have read several books on BPD and this is by far one of the most compassionate. Many of the other books on BPD label people with BPD as manipulative and lacking in self-awareness which not only strenthens the negative associations of the condition but also just add to the frustration of sufferers. BPD is a complicated condition and the writers of this book really understand the dangers of labelling people with BPD as 'manipulative' or dismissing attempts at suicide as mere cries for help. As well as addressing various misinformation, the book provides practical and accessible background information and offers advice on coping strategies too.

The book will be useful for anyone diagnosed with BPD or anyone who thinks they have symptoms or anyone who just wants to find out more maybe because they know someone with BPD. The book is really well-organized and you don't have to read it cover to cover to get a good grasp of things. Overall, really good reading - it deals with BPD sensitvely and is never judgemental or condescending.

A highly recommended book that should have been published years ago!
on 5 August 2011
This book is good to give an overall view of Borderline Personality Disorder (BPD). However, the book is american and some bits are quite tedious to read. Some of the examples given are well written but some are very simplistic and sometimes the book doesn't capture how complicated BPD actually is. I would recommend it to people, but give warning that it can be tedious in places.
on 6 December 2010
A very interesting, informative, easy to understand book. Not overwhelmed with jargon. Helpful for those with BPD and their family and friends. A brilliant buy if you want to understand and learn how to manage BPD.
on 7 March 2013
The borderline personality disorder survival guide is the best book I have read yet that deals with Borderline personality disorder. I would agree with 90% of what I have read in this book. So why then have I only given it three stars? Simply because it doesn't offer any helpful advice. This book is fantastic at identifying the symptoms and behaviors of BPD. It is very well written it's written in a way that it can be read by some one trying to understand BPD and from a person suffering from it themselves. It has taught me to look at myself in a different light but it hasn't offered any real insight into getting better.
on 2 April 2010
I have a close friend who has been diagnosed with BPD. Altho this book is American it gives basic knowledge about the condition and ways to help the sufferer. It also is a good guide to ask professionals here in the UK when trying to support a friend/loved one with this condition.