VINE VOICEon 22 August 2009
I am a newcomer to Funk - before this disk arrived my record collection of over 3000 albums boasted only 3-4 discs that could be considered genuine funk - and at the same time as buying up all the James Brown I can find I wanted to explore something a little different. This disc has really helped me that regard!

Collected together on this compilation are 16 tracks recorded in the late sixties and early seventies all to limited print runs of 1-2000 discs and often self funded by the artists themselves. The strap line on the cover boasts that these are heavy weight, super tough, deep funk, ultra rarities...and the tracks do live up to this billing. Rhythmically tight, these percussion and brass rich tracks really evoke the smokey, sweaty night club scene they were played to; they demand to be played loud and answering this rewards you with a whole body feeling as the rhythm vibrates you! The sound quality is not always great but these are lifted from 30-40 year 45s that have seen some heavy rotation - don't let this put you off. The 16 page booklet is a great addition as well giving you some history to what you are hearing.

I have never heard of any of these bands - they are certainly rarities - and the sad thing is that this is all we have of their music as this is all that has made it to vinyl. Setting that aside there are some corkers on this disc and standout tracks are:

Abraham and the metronomes - Party
The 2nd Amendment Band - Backtalk
The Third Guitar - Baby don't cry

If you want to listen to 16 consistently deep funk gems as a coherent whole or if you want to find something to lively up your funk party mixes - buy this album
on 28 August 2009
Having been to Madam Jo Jo's and seen Keb Darge I wanted something to listen to at home. This is a great selection of songs and any fans of old school funk will love this.