5.0 out of 5 stars The Horse Boy- DVD - A joy to watch.
Published on 11 Oct 2010 by Tula

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting film!!
Not so good as the book, sat down hopping to see a drama but turned out to be the real people on the real fixing adventure !! needed more detail in the filming.
Published 7 months ago by Karonpowell

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars The Horse Boy- DVD - A joy to watch., 11 Oct 2010
Tula (North of Scotland U.K.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Horse Boy [DVD] (DVD)
'The Horse Boy' is a wonderful, positive film - particularly if you have already read the book. I feel you need to read the book and view the film to get a complete picture of this family's amazing journey to heal their son. I sent my copy of the DVD to a friend of mine, who has a young autistic son and she found the film very uplifting. It made her laugh and cry and gave her hope that her child could also benefit from going on a similar spiritual journey. I am sure that this film will encourage other parents of autistic children to find their own way of 'healing' the more difficult and stressful aspects of autism.

5.0 out of 5 stars Such an Important Message, 16 Mar 2013
This review is from: The Horse Boy [DVD] (DVD)
A friend of mine lent me this DVD because I had an interest in Mongolian shamanism. However, when I started to watch the film, I discovered it was really about autism. What's interesting is that I don't think my friend was aware that both my daughter and grandson are autistic. Because of my personal interest in the subject, I was already familiar with the work of Temple Grandin (also in the film) as she often spoke about her special communication ability with animals. So of course, once I realised what this documentary was actually about, I was genuinely curious to see how it would progress.

What I liked so much about "The Horse Boy" is the balanced way in which the subject was presented: the "real" emotions, grief, self-doubt of the parents; the suffering and frustration of the child; the compassion and gentleness of the shamans. But what I liked even more was how the film made an important statement about how our modern society is the only one to marginalise those of less typical perception, such as autism. The points that some of the speakers made near the end of the film about the connection between shamans and modern psychotherapists were particularly insightful.

This film is fascinating, moving and extremely important. I cried practically all the way through it, in recognition, empathy, pathos and joy. Such a special film. I can't say I've ever seen anything remotely like it, ever.

Bottom line is this: I don't usually bother buying DVDs once I've watched them, but in this case, I've made an exception. I've just ordered it and I intend to show it to many others.

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspirational..., 22 Oct 2010
This review is from: The Horse Boy [DVD] (DVD)
I couldn't agree more with the above review; this film is absolutely fantastic. The journey on which this family embarks is simply awe inspiring. I went through the full spectrum of emotions whilst watching this: Sadness, horror but ultimately overwhelming happiness at seeing how Rowan develops throughout. I would recommend this film to everybody and feel blessed to have been able to have shared Rowan's amazing journey through Mongolia.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome value, 22 July 2010
Miss T Fied (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I've got the book and am so glad I've now got the DVD (had to find out from the internet how to get it to play on my Sharp DVD player - had to have the drawer open and press the volume up to get it to switch to multi-region)

This DVD proves to me the power of energetic / spiritual healing - no question - and its all superbly evidenced albeit a bit out of sequence with the book sometimes and a bit disjointed. So I do recommend you read the book first. But the impact of the DVD is incredible - because it confirms - and evidences - the details in the book. And shows the remarkable changes that came over Rowan - and how incredibly accurately the shamans predicted exactly what would happen. And my respect for Rowan's parents Rupert and Kristin intensified as I saw their patience and commitment to helping their son This DVD should be mandatory viewing for all students of pyschology because it illustrates very simply the power and effectiveness of solutions we don't understand. Just because we can't explain why something works - nor scientifically prove why it works - doesn't mean it doesn't work. The interviews in the special features with the experts in the field of autism are invaluable and something not included in the book. I had no idea Sir Isaac Newton probably had Asperger's syndrome. Simon Baron-Cohen explains how we have a lot to learn about how to make our work places more respectful of individual's needs - and made me think hard about our procedures at work and how friendly they are - or not.This DVD is seriously well worth importing until it becomes more widely available in the UK.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 7 Sep 2011
This review is from: The Horse Boy [DVD] (DVD)
I loved the book which I read on holiday this year. I was totally absorbed by it. I bought the DVD shortly after returning home and could not wait to see it. I was not disappointed and am full of admiration for Rowan and his parents.

5.0 out of 5 stars ... Festival - I went to the talk because I like horses, but this is something else - riveting ..., 14 Aug 2014
This review is from: The Horse Boy [DVD] (DVD)
First came across Rupert Isaacson at the Hay Literary Festival - I went to the talk because I like horses, but this is something else - riveting - about autism and the use of Shamans and Faith healers. Cynics will think again. Read the book first, and this DVD just confirms everything. Highly recommend this if you have any interest in autism.

5.0 out of 5 stars a must for anyone who wants to understand autism more, 6 Jun 2014
This review is from: The Horse Boy [DVD] (DVD)
i was recommended this to vue . i have a grandson who is waiting to be diagnosed and i needed to understand what he may or may not have to go through . i lovely insite into the world of autism lovely story

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent filming, 26 April 2014
LINDA CARTWRIGHT (Auckland, New Zealand) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Horse Boy [DVD] (DVD)
I thoroughly enjoyed this dvd but I think it should be viewed in conjunction with the book of the same name written by Rupert Isaacson. Anyone who is struggling with an autistic child would get some ideas of how to deal with the condition, even if they didn't want - or couldn't afford - to go to Outer Mongolia to find shamans.

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent and useful film., 22 Aug 2013
This review is from: The Horse Boy [DVD] (DVD)
An excellent documentary film - but my advice would be to read the book first. I did and the book is fantastic, extremely well written but easy to read and understand; it "draws you in" - and is very helpful in understanding "the journey" of Rowan and his Father Rupert and Mother Christian. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars FANTASTIC READ AND SEE, 25 May 2013
This review is from: The Horse Boy [DVD] (DVD)
A very moving documentary, I read the book first, this gave me a great insight into an autistic child. The documentary enhances this, its a must Read and must see. Enjoy it.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

The Horse Boy [DVD]
The Horse Boy [DVD] by Michel Orion Scott (DVD)
Out of stock