2.0 out of 5 stars Review for GoGear Must 16gb, 17 Jan 2011
This review is from: Philips GoGear MP4 player SA2MUS16S/02 Muse 16GB - Silver (Electronics)
Bought this for xmas present. Looks good, sounds good but getting video on is a nightmare, getting the right format to work. I got video on but the voices were out of sync. Also it freezes alot and all you can do is press the reset button. Was not impressed so returned for a refund. I would not recommend this product, we have now bought an ipod touch which is brilliant.

2.0 out of 5 stars ok mp3 shame about the video, 23 April 2011
tubbydaddy (Pontefract UK) - See all my reviews
I have had this for a few months now. I bought it to replace my zen creative player. The good news is that its a multi-mdia player. The bad news is that it doesn't (so far) include any video format other than BBC iplayer. I have tried the drag and drop routine for videos - and it comes up with "unsupported file"; I have tried video conversion software as suggested by others but get the same message. What would have been really helpful is a cd rom with all the necessary drivers and conversion software to accompany it.

The music function fares better as the sound quality is good and the files are easy to navigate around with a choice of display preferences. What's not so good is the album recognition function. Example: I copied a 3 cd album to the hard drive. It chose to recognise each track as a separate album and didn't play them consecutively. The same problem occurred when I deleted the album from the hard drive and put it on a compatible memory card.

The music function seems to work best with downloaded albums from the internet rather than albums you upload yourself. Irritation is considerably reduced when you only upload 1 or 2 tracks from an album. It can't muck it up when its only got 1-2 tracks to manage from each album.

Audible is faultless as are the photo viewer and the FM radio.

When this player folds I won't be buying another gogear muse.

3.0 out of 5 stars Muse good and bad, 14 Feb 2011
I bought a GoGear Muse about 3 weeks ago. It arrived on time and undamaged. I bought it to store mainly classical music for use on a boat, connected to the Car type stereo on board.Storage of CD's on board is a problem and we are normally limited to 40 even without their cases.
The Muse itself is fine and I have stored a very great deal of music on it. However to do so I had to use Microsofts Medai Player. I found it impossible to get Songbird or Philips Songbird to work on either of the two PCs that I possess. Philips Songbird just crashed as soon as I plugged the Muse in and I was completely unable to load music to the Muse with it. Now I should point out that I am a crumbly (age 74) and unused to this kit. Nevertheless the difference between Microsoft and Songbird is extreme.
Selecting music.
Given the display size selection is reasonable with a three lavel menu giving composer, work and movement. I find the touch screen a little fussy and sometimes it is difficult to select an item - possible a matter of big fingers.
Sound Quality
Given the earphones provided the sound quality is acceptable. I hope that it will be as good on the car stereo.

1.0 out of 5 stars Buy somethiing else, 11 Mar 2012
Tessa (Surbiton, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I bought this item to play audio books on. I couldn't get the player to converse with my computer, when the items did load it just refused to play them. Neither Audible or Phillips could help me and I had to send it back and get a refund.

All I want is something simple that will load my books, allow me to access them without having to go through umpteen menus before I can play what I want and, oh yes, something that actually works.

1.0 out of 5 stars Philips Oh Dear Muse, 8 Sep 2010
Firstly despire being listed as released in 2011, this player is available now from other retailers (incase you wonder how I can review it).

I was looking for a replacement for a dented, older Sony model. The new Sony's are said to have sound issues, so I looked at the iPod and Philips. Most reviews say that audio is the IPod's weakest link (being a jack of all trades) so I went for this Philips player.
And what a disaster. It certainly looks the part with a stylish silver casing. The touch screen is a good size and quite responsive. The unit feels robust. From there though it's not so good. The audio quality is very disappointing, lacking any real dynamism. Philips' FullSound system, designed to capture the potential of MP3 results in weak, distant sound. The equaliser presets improve things slightly, but the results are still quite flat.
When listening to music, there is a 2 second delay between tracks, which although not seeming a lot, is very noticeable. This is especialy irritating if, like me, you have "live" albums on there.
There are also other issues which really annoy. You can choose custom wallpapers for the Muse's admittedly vibrant screen, but the unit promptly resets these every time you turn it off. After half a dozen times of rooting through the pictures folder, you give up.
And the clock also inexplicably resets itself, every time it is powered up.

Maybe the supplied earphones (which Philips seem proud of) could be replaced and improve audio, but I think spending over 100 on an MP3/4 player should cover the cost of decent earphones already.