5.0 out of 5 stars A Grower
Published 9 months ago by Bubo

3.0 out of 5 stars Ok, but no masterpiece
Published on 26 Feb 2005

5.0 out of 5 stars A Grower, 2 Nov 2013
There is a strange law about listening to certain albums that they can go from being one's most ignored and hated to belonging to one's favourites. Encore, even more so than Relapse, is an album that took me a long time to appreciate; for a long time I found it filler-infested, psychopathic in its lyrical content, musical minimalism and robotic beats, and basically a below par affair. Now, along with the unpopular Relapse, I find it addictive and compelling. It truly is an addictive, fascinating album and is highly pop-savvy. Em is clearly not sober on much of this album; he doesn't even sound angry like on The Eminem Show, he just sounds tired, cynical and whimsical. But that's what makes this album fascinating; despite failing on so many counts musically, lyrically and emotionally, it grew on me to such an extent that on Media player no track got less than four stars, even tracks like Puke, My 1st Single and Big Weenie. Eminem truly is a fascinating artist and to put out an album like takes a certain... strength or perhaps absence of character. In some sense this album is deceptive; it may seem robotic and stupid to begin with, but with time I came to realize that it is tight, funny and emotionally quite complex - I know this sounds like I'm getting ahead of myself, but tracks like Yellow Brick Road really have a dark complexity to them.

I'll cut this short by saying that if you think Eminem lost his way with this album (as he has himself admitted in public) then think again - perhaps the day will come like it did for me me when the tone of the album just "clicked" and suddenly I was able to enjoy, yes, enjoy, the over an hour long record.

PS. Get the two-disc version! The bonus three tracks are really very good and could happily sit on the album proper.

Five stars (I love it)

5.0 out of 5 stars The greatest, 20 Dec 2005
K. T. Sims "Kayts" (Birmingham) - See all my reviews
This album truly deserves the title of my very favourite. It is an absolute masterpiece. It helped me get through some really tough times and many of the songs show Eminems love for his daughter. I would rate all of the songs 10/10, with the exeption of never enough, spend some time and one shot two shot. His solo work is a lot better. I don't know anybody else who could have a song like Just lose it AND puke on the same album. For anybody who has heard Crazy in love and can relate to the emotions in it, he portrays a love hate relationship perfectly. This album is simply awesome, and I would recommend it to anybody.
I'm sure that this may not make great sense, but I find it difficult to put in to words how much I love this album.

3.0 out of 5 stars Ok, but no masterpiece, 26 Feb 2005
By A Customer
Was really looking forward to buying this album. When i finally did and played it through, i had mixed thoughts of it. Tracks such as "like toy soldiers", "mosh" and "never enough" represent Em at the top of his game. But The main problem with alot of this album is there are'nt enough stand out tracks and therefore they're instantly forgetable. If you're big Eminem fan, it's still worth owning but if you're new to him, my advise would be to get "The Marshall Mathers LP" or "The Eminem Show" first and then decide after if you want this one. For me personally though, it's ok but Em can definately do better.

3.0 out of 5 stars Mixed quality, 30 July 2014
There are some good songs, but also some rubbish ones. Too much talking at start/end of songs for my liking, so all in all not too impressed with this one. I guess it might have been written in a period when he was off his head on drugs, as it has a very immature feel to it. I would buy individual songs on iTunes instead.

5.0 out of 5 stars Still the real slim shady, 3 Feb 2005
Man, you've gotta get this one. It's tight - eminem is still on top of his game. Get it. It's better than The Eminem Show, and funnier.

5.0 out of 5 stars Encore, 11 Dec 2004
By A Customer
i've ordered the deluxe edition from germany and i loved the album. eventhough it isnt the best or second best em album it is still better than the other rap albums.Somebody says eminem isn't a mc, he's a pop singer.just listen encore.average beats but still he spits the lyrics perfectly.Why were the real(!)Eminem fans dissapointed?If they love Em's lyrics where is the problem?A lot of the people who 've bought Eminem Show are NOT real fans.Yes,this album doesnt have tracks like The Way I Am or Lose Your Self and 1st single Just Lose It doesnt sounds like Without Me when u first listen but if u are lookin for rap album those mustnt be the criterions.Encore talks about the things we live, the problems we have...Check out the Mosh.How many people can do a song like this?
Meanwhile,i think it is one of the great RAP cd's ever.
My Favorites:
Never Enough
Mosh
Like Toy Soldier
Rain Man Spend Some Time
Mockingbird
P.S. check out he track 'Crazy In Love'.Em tries to prove that he can do a song with pop samples and beat.He can be a better pop singer than the pop singers we have now if he wants,i think.

5.0 out of 5 stars EMs BEST ALBUM YET BUY IT!!!!, 27 Nov 2004
harry hargreaves (Manchester, England) - See all my reviews
i think this is ems best album.Most of the songs are great in fat all of em. If u like his music this is a must buy for any hip-hop fan around the world. Best songs are toy soliders, yellow brick road, mokinbird, encore, crazy in love. will just name em all if a carry on just buy it and u now wat iam on a bout!!!

2.0 out of 5 stars Bad cd-case., 3 Sep 2012
I really seriously love this album, but the cd-case conditions was really bad. it's broken in more that one way, but luckily the cd itself was in a good condition.
But i was defiantly disappointed in the case's conditions.
And that's the reason for the bad review. Absolutely nothing wrong with the music.

5.0 out of 5 stars definitley worth buying, 22 April 2011
Encore was Eminem's 4th EP with Interscope records/aftermath/shady aftermath/shady records. A lot of people give this album far less credit than it deserves, in my opinion it is a thouroughly enjoyable album ranging from childish yet funny humour (see "rainman" or "big weenie") to serious emotional outlets (see "mockingbird"). Songs like "never enough" and "crazy in love" are ridiculous displays of talent and the latter really is a no-holds-barred type of love/hate saga. I must warn though; if you are not a fan of slightly vulgar or childish, toilet humour, DONT buy Encore, I myself am not a fan of toilet humour but Eminem pulls it off easily. I would suggest the two disc version as it's extra songs are well worth the money! p.s great features on the album too:50 cent, D12,Obie Trice,Nate Dogg- they don't take up too much of the album, letting Em have his shine but really add to the experience. Great album, (I would prefer others though
,if you are buying your first eminem album, I would suggest The Eminem Show, i feel it best explains why Eminem is the world's most popular rapper.) :)

4.0 out of 5 stars Not his best..., 6 Dec 2004
Moneypenny "Gorge" (California, LA USA) - See all my reviews
I have to say I like this album and am a fan of Em but I think he is trying to be too funny on some songs like, "Puke", My 1st Single", "Big Weenie" and "ass Like That".
But saying that there are some really good songs that show some thought and creativity: "Like Toy Soldiers", "Mosh", Mockingbird", "We as Americans" and "Love You More".
Overall a great album but Em needs to lose the childish idiot and start taking things seriously.

Encore