on 25 August 2010
Got this reader 4 weeks ago and what a piece of kit.

Loads books in seconds and with the colour screen I can read for hours without my eyes getting tired..

I have uploaded home videos onto it and the picture and sound is amazing.
Photos are as clear as chrystal.

I found a bit of difficulty getting a case for it as I wanted to protect the screen, so using the dimensions, I went online for a comparison and I eventualy went for the leather case, with stand for the Sony PRS300 from Amazon.

It works a treat.

For the price I would advise anyone looking for an ebook reader to think about this one.

Tom Conway

Lochwinnoch

Scotland
on 22 July 2010
Just recieved my eBook reader, it is brilliant!! and excellent value for money. It has so many features such as video playback, music and a colour screen. Seriously who needs an iPad when you can get this awesome peice of kit for a fraction of the price. It is very easy to use, very slim and light and also allows you to put your own SD memory card unlike most products that come with a fixed hard drive, i personnaly used a 4 GB chip but it allows any size memory unit.
on 20 August 2010
I was originally seduced by the JSM Touchscreen tablet with wifi, but whether the one I got was faulty or what, the ereader just refused point-blank to work so back it went.

This was second choice, and it's been a brilliant buy. It's cheaper than most other readers and yet is so much more.
It's so easy to load files ... drag and drop and they go into whichever folder they belong, be it music, books, photos or whatever. The colour screen is excellent for showing photographs. I haven't yet tried the video. That you can listen to your music whilst reading or viewing photos is an added bonus and will save me carting around 2 devices wherever I go.

It's a perfect size for being in a pocket or bag, and even comes with a protective cover, so no added expense there.

I can't really find any fault with this ... I suppose it would have been nice to have a white one instead of boring black, but now I'm being picky!! :-)
on 26 May 2011
I have had the device for 6 months now. Initially, I was impressed. Certainly, the other functionality the device offers works just fine. However, I am starting to find problems with it's e-reader functionality.

It cannot cope with PDF's at all. It is not able to fit the pages to the screen or format the text in a readable way. E-Pub files are usually fine but, certain books it has problems with - merging words together and replacing punctuation marks with other strange characters which makes the books quite hard to read. My husband has a tablet and I have used Aldiko on that to check "problem" ebooks - the tablet displays all of them correctly. Therefore, I have to conclude that the problems lie with the device.

After long term testing, I would have to say that I cannot recommend the device as an e-reader. Since the problems only arise with certain books, I can understand why other reviewers may have been lucky and not encountered the problems that I have had.

I think that there may be some problems with the firmware on the device. I have searched on the net for firmware upgrades and cannot find any. I cannot find a Sovos support site for this device and conclude that it is not supported.

Although it is a useful little device and does a number of things very well indeed, I primarily wanted an e-reader and am therefore intending to replace it soon.
on 4 January 2011
Got this for a Christmas present and so far I'm loving it. It looks great, feels great, is light and fits perfectly into my coat pocket even with the wallet on. Very user friendly, you cannot get lost on it. Reading books (which esentially is what it's for) is great and so much easier than getting book holders cramp and the backlight means you can read it in darkened surroundings. Uploading stuff is very easy and the device sorts it all out for you (putting video in the video section, books in the book section and so on) so you can instantly access everything. Video quality is excellent (MP4 and AVI but will work with loads of other formats) and the earphones that come with it give good sound quality. Obviously if you want to put movies on it you'll need to get an SD card. I've got a 16gb card in and that could get me about 12 movies on AVI format loaded up and that still leaves the whole 1gb built in storage for books and music. My wife bought me this because I had been going on about how I could download my daily newspaper to one if I had one. So far this has been the only thing that has caused me problems. The epub format means you lose some of the atmosphere of reading a newspaper and it's very difficult to see the photos. Trying it uploaded as a PDF file improves that, however it is painfully slow at navigating the files, so much so that I found myself waiting for over a minute to turn the page only to find that the next page was a whole page advert for DFS followed by another agonising minute to get to the next page. The speed problem doesn't occur in epub so I guess it's something I'll just have to get used to. Battery life is brilliant unless you watch movies, but it's still good even then. The minor gripe about newspapers aside I would very much recommend this e-reader.
on 11 August 2010
I'd prefer to call it a "Multi-Readia " device; that is an e-reader with other media capabilities. It handles text, html and RTF files adequately though PDF's can be difficult to view. Results on mine have not been consistent. On some PDF files its fine and on some not quite up to scratch.But this may be due how and what application was used to encode the PDF initially.

It plays film also -, rather well in fact. It plays back MP4, AVI, MKV,FLV,VOB,DAT,RM,RMVB,MPEG2 and DivX according to the manual. I have personally tried MP4,DivX and FLV files and they all playback without issue and quite smoothly. Incidently, the Sovos SVEBK5 has a Rockchip chipset RK2800 which makes an appearance in many Chinese made multimedia players and does the job of playing multimedia files quite well.

For music it plays it supports MP3,WMA, WAV and OGG. Quite impressive for a device which is marketed primarily as an e-reader.
It is a drag-and-drop affair and no particular file management application is required (unlike a certain vastly more expensive 10" closed device that has captured everybody's imagination)and it has an SD card supporting up to 8GB storage.

Lastly it works on non-MS Windows operating systems such as Linux and FreeBSD as it mounts likes a standard USB flash drive. You'll also see the SD card appear likewise if inserted. In all it works well for what it does and visibility is good. It user interface is not pretty or flashy but is easy to navigate.
on 11 March 2011
This is a beautiful little machine. Intuitive, simple and very good value. Within a few minutes I had uploaded books, music, pictures and video. Supports many formats of video, avoiding conversion processes. Very good quality visuals. Sound through phones is good but speakers not so much.
The ereader functioning is excellent. Rotation, zoom, backlight, page turning and fit-to-page functions are simple to use and very effective. It has a decent feel to it, light but not insubstantial. Maybe the screen size could be a little bigger but with the zoom function this doesn't feel restrictive. 7 hours battery life for reading is a fraction of the Kindles capacity but this is the price you pay for the beautiful colour screen.
I never write reviews but felt compelled to do so.
I may be sad but I'm in love with this baby.
on 7 July 2010
I was lucky enough to get one of these pre release. I've had it a few days so here's what I think. All round I'm really happy with it. It has a good colour screen which makes reading easy on the eyes. It's only a 5" screen but it's a tradeoff with portability and has the media player functions for music and movies.I will definately be taking this away with me on trips as it will drastically reduce packing!

One really good feature is that it is able to play DRM copyrighted e-books so I can downlaod new realeases, I don't think that all e-book readers can do this, not in this price bracket anyway.

All round I reckon this is a good value product that works well.
on 14 September 2010
I am so pleased with this item

It loads books easily and has a large enough internal memory to hold all the books you will need and a lot more. Tried all types of format but like the look of books when loaded on PDF. There are a hell of a lot of free books on-line to get you started.

MP3/wma files can be stored and music can be played as background music when reading. I'm using a 4GB SD card to store music and movies.

Movies can be played on the machine. A lifesaver when I was in hospital last week! Again I am using Sd card. I can put 3 full length movies on AVI format to carry around.

Looked at the other e book readers and have found that this was the best for me. I would recommend it to all. TOP RATING
on 29 September 2010
im a serious media geek so it was about time i broke into the e-reader business as i am an avid script-writer and reading enthusiast; and set about really doing my research on this one as there is so many different types - ranging from kindle to sony to ecooler to sovos.

but at the end of it all why did i chose sovos over something as highly rated at kindle?? I'll tell you why:

1. the price...at £99.99 what a bargain for what you get. seriously this alone almost sells the product.
2. file types cover...covered much more than what the kindle had to offer and of course tackled the pesky DRM locked files unlike sony and kindle.
3. ease of use...very easily managed and very simple to transfer files from computer to its internal memory or a SD card if you like.
4. backlight...it allowed me to be able to read in darker places - kindle doesnt even have a backlight!
5. extras...play music, view images and videos - just in case you want a change if pace from reading.
6. user reviews...everyone who bought this loves it. simple and if you buy one yourself you can definitely see why :)

okay it may not have a keypad or a password lock or a full day battery (7 hours is still really respectable) like the kindle does but i assure you, you wont be disappointed with this e-reader. if you havent got one and you are looking for one...i suggest you look no further - buy one now! :)
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...