5.0 out of 5 stars Awe Inspiring
I'm surprised this book hasn't received the same explosive acclaim as, say, Eckhart Tolle's "The Power of Now" or Jon Kabat-Zinn's "Wherever You Go, There You Are", because it is, without a doubt, a landmark in the world of self-help publications. It is utterly awe inspiring.

Published on 19 Mar 2008 by Harry

3.0 out of 5 stars Ok
Though I love books in this genre usually, I didn't find this book great. There are some very useful bits but some bits that I wasn't so sure resonated and it did feel quite laborious to read so much so that I left the last few chapters. Of course, I appreciate and think most people would agree that it's good to be "open" and not "close down" to life and...
Published 2 months ago by Jen Smith

5.0 out of 5 stars Awe Inspiring, 19 Mar 2008

Singers style is calm and patient, he guides you through complex terrain with the ease of a natural teacher - the highest spiritual teachings are laid out with simplicity and grace.

Reading this book has been one of the most profound experiences for me. I highly recommend it to anyone who is curious for more, who has a hunger in their heart for something real, for something to reignite their spirit.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best self help book I have read!, 1 Aug 2010
L. Mateus "lolakaycee" (SW London) - See all my reviews
This book is a little gem in disguise!I loved the way Singer wrote the book with utter simplicity.I have read books on Mindfulness and the only book besides this book that gripped me fully was Anthony de Mello's Awareness. Most books on the matter rehash the same concepts over and over again.When I picked up this book at the library I was hungering for a book that delivered on substance. I had been wondering how excellent it would be if I could someday reach a point in my life where my inner calm was so entrenched that I didn't feel like any event good or bad could send me on an emotional rollercoaster ride. And this book certainly addressed that need.This is the first self help book that I would say delivered a clear, concise theory on how one can transcend and allow the spirit to soar! It certainly doesn't sound easy, and there were parts in the book that I wish Singer had given more details on how to achieve certain states he was talking about, however, this is a book that has resonated deeply with me,so much so that I am now going to buy my own copy and read it again and again. I am sure this is a book that each time I re-read it I will discover new insights into the material. I loved the fact that Singer felt bold enough to challenge the reader, one of his greatest challenge was towards the end of the book, when he says that if you can commit to be happy at all costs no matter what, then you have taken your spiritual path to a higher level. But I know this concept will be my most challenging because I don't know anyone that can be happy no matter what. But I loved the concept that if you are committed to being happy, that should be what drives you. If you can only be happy if someone loves you, if you lose 20 kg, if you win the lottery etc..you are actually setting yourself up to experiencing never ending dissatisfaction. And proof of the pudding is when most people get to achieve what they want the feeling of happiness is so fleeting, so what Singer says is spot on: happiness isn't about achieving everything that you think you should have, be,or experience to fit your experiences into the idea of what you deem will make you happy.So he got me thinking what if we are going about it the wrong way: what if we are meant to start with prioritirising happiness no matter what? What would happen once we achieved the ability to be happy no matter what? Would we still want the same things? I have a million and one questions that I would have loved to ask Singer because so much of what he said in the book got me thinking. So this book is a must read for anyone who wants to ask the difficult questions that always start with "Who am I"?
Singer should definitely written more books on the subject and I know he wrote one or two more that I will read, but this book is pure magic from the mind of someone who obviously has walked the path and knows what he is talking about- a rare things things days when it comes to self help authors.

5.0 out of 5 stars A good companion for better mental health, 22 Jun 2013
Pete (Ipswich United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
I bought this book alongside many other self help books when recovering from depression and trying to help myself. Whereas many of the mindfulness books teach you about the key concepts of your thoughts NOT being you (or reality) in a gentle and almost flowery way (with many also having a religious slant), this book is more direct. In fact, this is probably one of the most down to earth books I have read in this genre and all the better for it. No beating around the bush here, this clubs you over the head with some core truths about how our thoughts and minds work - or rather how they may have gone wrong. No meditation required here, just read it and digest it.

Essentially out of around 30 self help books this is only one of two or three I would keep and would recommend to others. Mostly because the approach taken in this book is so blunt and so unlike all the others. That's the key for me here - finding a book or guide that is in a style that works for YOU.

I also appreciate the author leaving references to God until the end, and not pushing that agenda throughout the book. Essentially, when we "wake up" or (as in my case) heal ourselves of poor mental health, we experience many things through this process that can look and feel special. Some consider this finding God, some consider it just well being or happiness. It didn't become religious for me, but clearly did for the author (as for many people) and the way he explains how this feels towards the end of the book so hits the nail on the head. In fact I asked one of my friends (who was struggling to understand the huge benefits I was feeling from mindfulness and other such things) to read one of the later chapters because it explained it so much better than I could - that sense of awe, that sense of belonging, when you strip through the crud and experience life here and now, as it really is.

Very much recommended from me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Do your soul a favour and read it !!, 18 Sep 2009
I didn't expect to find such a compelling and illuminating read when I first picked up this book. The whole mindfulness and awareness thing seems to have been flogged almost to death in recent years with everyone pontificating their views and their tales of enlightenment. So it was with a degree of trepidation and reserved cynicism that I began to read, needless to say my negativity was dissolved in the first chapter and this book has had a profound impact on my psyche.

Would you like to be free of the incessant self talk inside your head, criticising every waking thought and action ? Who are you ? No, not your name or your job or even your ambition, who are YOU ? Singer is the guide as we explore these questions. We rediscover the heart and see it as much more than a muscle for pumping blood around the body, it's a sponge soaking up the pain of past transgressions but it's also an endless well of love. We are introduced to the spiritual path of non resistance and unconditional happiness, paths which should be walked regularly by everyone.

Every page of this book is a joy to read, Singer's compassion and peacefullness abounds. There is an accessability to these words that I have not found in other books of the same nature, in fact I felt drawn to it time and time again. I have read this book twice and each time gained a different insight into both my own true nature and the absolute inanity of the world we live in. To me this has been a gift gratefully received.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Truths., 6 Feb 2009
Michael Singer has written a book of great spiritual truths honed down and presented to us in a clear and lucid way.

He takes us through our lives and shows us how we sabotage ourselves and impede our own progress.

I have the sense this is a book that Mr.Singer has lived, he does not offer us second hand theories but has the authentic feel of someone walking the path seeing what works and throwing out what is not of use.

I feel grateful for this book I now read it everyday in the hope that the wisdom that Michael Singer has gifted us with will find a home in my heart.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazingly Simple book, 30 Nov 2010
This book is simply AMAZING!!

Similar concepts as Power of Now (which had a profound impact on me when i first read it..a few years ago)

This book is presented in such a simple style and conversational tone that I could not help but have AHA moments on literally every single page. This is the only book I have which is dog-eared on nearly every other page and HEAVILY underlined.
The simplicity of the insights is just amazing.

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!

5.0 out of 5 stars Untethered Soul, 7 Dec 2007
Tami Brady "Tami Brady: Transition-Empowermen... (Calgary, Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
We all have a little voice inside our heads that constantly narrates all of the events of our lives. It rambles on about the events of the day. It reminds us that the person we are talking to is named Sue. It also makes sure that we remember every bad thing that Sue ever did to us and all the judgments we might have about our current conversation.

Often we get so used to this voice endlessly droning on that we aren't even consciously aware of what this voice is saying or how it subconsciously affects everything in our lives. Even when we do recognize the voice, we tend to automatically assume that it is telling us the truth. We don't realize that everything that this voice says is actually colored by our previous experiences, our fears, and our insecurities.

The Untethered Soul seeks to make us aware of that little voice. To gain an understanding of what that voice is saying and how it affects us in our choices and our view of the world. Essentially, how those views constrain our lives and limit our ability to love and be loved. Then, this book asks us to quiet that voice and open ourselves to the possibilities to a whole different way of thinking, feeling, and being.

5.0 out of 5 stars An Absolute Masterpiece, 24 Feb 2009
If you haven't read any books on this type of subject matter already, then buy this one. It is VERY well written, clear and easy to understand (a lot are not).

If you have read books of this type already then you will have probably found that some resonate with you and some don't, this one did with me - but I am not making any promises about this book being the one that will transform you, etc, etc as I have read books with those sort of reviews and ended up a little disappointed.

However this book worked for me, in fact i would say without doubt that this book is the best I have ever read (on the subject) and I highly recommend that you at least give it a go.

It explains very clearly the path to follow if you wish to obtain Inner peace and happiness, that's it, it's pure and it's simple (not the path the advise), so what have you got to lose??

I hope you find it is as good as i did.

5.0 out of 5 stars Life Changing, 9 Dec 2012
J. Sweetland - See all my reviews
I didn't know what to expect with this book. i Absolutely LOVED it. I haven't been able to stop thinking about is since I finished it a few weeks ago. it has really stayed on my mind - so many good points that stuck - unlike basically all other self-help type books. I plan to read it again ... and again... and again. i have recommended it to a couple of people who have felt the same way about it. it is SO thought provoking and clear. I felt smarter and more grounded and calm from reading it. really puts things into perspective and i am so grateful to have found it! Excellent! Read it- you will be SO glad you did.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing and liberating. Difficult to describe unless you read it, 4 May 2012
This is an amazing book. It is probably the best book I have ever read and I can say I've read a few books about spirituality. I thank the universe for putting such an amazing book in my hands. After reading this book my approach and perception of life has changed in an incredible way. I strongly recommend it to people who want to be happy. I cannot imagine anyone not loving this book. God bless the author for writting such an amazing book.