VINE VOICEon 23 June 2013
Altoids are strange. A simple peppermint confectionery which has achieved an astonishing status among hobbyists of all kinds. The main reason, it seems, is the tin in which they are sold. The Altoids tin has become for many people the de-facto enclosure for hobby electronics projects. So much so that one of the questions in the official Raspberry Pi FAQ is "Will it fit in an Altoids tin?" (I'm afraid the answer is "no"). Naturally enough, this encouraged me to get some Altoids tins and build some stuff into them!

Some things about the Altoids phenomenon are a bit odd, though. Despite many of the tins proudly bearing the legend "Made in Great Britain", they are curiously hard to find in the UK, and surprisingly expensive when you can find them. After a bit of poking around, I eventually found these Altoids on Amazon for a more reasonable price, but the "downside" was that I had to order a dozen.

This should give me plenty of tins to build my projects into, and as a bonus my breath will be minty fresh for the next year or so ;)
on 9 January 2015
The most curious thing about these mints must surely be the name - sounds like a medicinal remedy for nasal congestion or a dire affliction of the bowels! But not a bit of it. They are indeed curiously strong, not too sugary, just enough in one mint to bestow an adequate jolt to the senses, and with 12 tins for this price, a bargain too. There's a splendid snob value about these mints - consider the choice between pulling out of your pocket a fluff-filled tube of the down-market alternative ('ave a polo mate"), and delicately rattling a beautifully decorated work of art such as this tin ("Care for an Altoid old chap?").
And, as others have pointed out, the tins have great utility once the mints have gone - potential repositories for everything from mysterious gentlemens necessaries to ladies knick knacks. This is the sort of tin discovered in secret drawers in that George 111 bureau - gently rattle the tin, open it slowly and with slight trepidation, catch the lingering scent of exotic mint, delicately lift the folded paper insert, and ................................
There is one drawback; 9 of my curious dozen were nicked by Christmas visitors. B****ards!
on 28 April 2015
These mints are really the best as far as I am concerned. They are refreshing, they last a long time, if you are not tempted to crunch them. The mints are invaluable on a long car ride to hand around because there are so many in the tin they go a long way. During the night, after taking medication before I go to sleep I wake up during the night with a dry mouth and not always a nice taste after the tablets, so I pop in an altoid mint and within seconds my mouth feels fresh again. There are so many in the tin that you can hand them around in a carful of people over and over again on a long journey and still have some left when you arrive at your destination. The flavour is the nicest I know and I have tried most mints on the market.
on 27 January 2015
These are mints as mints should be. They are strong, (but do not burn your mouth or throat), and taste of mint - I know this is obvious, but the flavor tastes real and not artificial. They can be compared to the 'Extra Strong Mints" that come in a similar size tin, but green and from a store with the initials M & S. Highly recommended.
on 2 May 2014
like my title suggest, that was my first reaction! the strong mint is not overpowering and in my opinion is just right! i always eat a mint sweet after smoking and this mint sweet is perfect! highly recommended!

next, the tin of the mint is also beautiful but just that, some powders from the mint would somehow escape from the tin.

i really love this mint and i know i am going to get more when the 12 tins finishes.
on 12 February 2015
They aren't crazy strong, but as a menthol-addict they are my go to mints, as they are stronger than 'Trebor Extra Strong'. The tin is a cool novelty and quite a conversation starter, you stand out with these. Offer them to your friends, be that guy. Keep your breath fresh.
on 1 February 2014
Perfect for when your mouth feels as dry as Ghandi's flip-flop, tastes worse than a Hobbit's armpit or when your morning breath would ripen a greenhouse full of bananas.

These little tins of mints are iconic. They're not as strong as you think and tins have a multitude of uses once emptied of mints - just search Google.

This multipack is excellent value and will last you ages.
on 18 October 2015
The mints are both very strong, and very "moreish". The box they're in is really useful too, and can be re-used to hold odds and ends. The DIYer in me is thinking hinges, odd screws, nails, etc; but also really good for holding pocket tools, cash or other things that could get damaged in my pocket (or in the case of British coins, cause damage to my pocket!), or if you're a camper, tinder and a lighter/fire-starter rod.

Of course, with 12 tins, all of the above and more :-). No downsides -- except maybe making sure you have a cup of water nearby if you want to eat the mints more than one at a time!
on 23 June 2014
As it says they are surprisingly strong mints, I like them because I am diabetic and most mints have too much sugar. These probably have the same percentage sugar but because they are smaller I am ingesting less. The tins are useful as well.
on 30 March 2016
Bought for the wife as a present, always buy these in the states. These do taste different, but only because we tried side by side. ingredient is also different on the tin, unless they are just called something else.