on 3 February 2013
This is a fabulous novel and my son and I both enjoyed it immensely.... but someone has done a very poor job of translating it to Kindle and replaced all instances of 'body' with 'BodyTextCenterLineSpace'.

Not very classy, oh publisher! You didn't bother to proof-read it before sending it to the world and yet you are happy to charge us full price for it.

Pity to spoil an otherwise lovely experience.
on 9 February 2014
The book is based on a boy named Charlie Bucket who is a lucky winner of a golden ticket.

I have given this book a rating of 5 stars because the story is entertaining, made me laugh throughout and I found it difficult to put down.

What I liked about the book was the story line, humour and pictures (although I didn't need the pictures to imagine the setting as it was described so well in the book).

This book is aimed at children between the ages of 7 onwards, but adults would enjoy it too.

Overall I really enjoyed this book and would recommend that others read it.
What child doesn't know this story? What child doesn't love this book? My son has now joined their ranks.

I did wonder if this would be too long for him, at 5. We finished our audiobook of The Twits and I asked what he'd like next and this was his choice. And all credit to him, he sat and listened. And was enthralled. We had to sit in the car for ten minutes after getting home to hear the moment when Charlie opens the wrapper to find the glint of gold underneath, my son's hand tightening on my shoulder. A wonderful moment of parenthood.

I remembered the book as longer from childhood, but actually it's only around 3 hours as an audiobook (over 3 discs), and the only negative about the audio version is we don't see the illustrations (some of which are referred to early on in the text), but unlike The Twits, this isn't too much a shame.

As a grown-up, Charlie's situation is rather horrific - cabbage soup, one chocolate bar a year (his only birthday gift), all four grandparents bedridden, father loses his meagre job. My son of course was more interested in getting the Golden Ticket and getting to the factory.

We had lots of discussions about the other children and just why they are so horrible - my son found it hard to believe that their parents LET them grow up that way, but he did love their sticky ends.

I loved the same parts I used to, all those wonderful rooms full of toffee, cream and gooey chocolate, trees you could eat, a sweet boat to ride on, gobstoppers that last forever, Fizzy Lifting drink. I'm sure my own imagination took off as Dahl let his loose in his story.

I found the Oompah-Loopahs more heavy-handed on the moral lessons than I used to - especially regarding television. It's certainly full of good lessons, but it did feel a little over-the-top. Douglas Hodge was a good narrator, but he didn't sing the songs, which I thought was a shame. Lots of good voices for the parents and children.

I had forgotten that Charlie is very much, after entering the factory, a background character. It really is about the chocolate and Mr Wonka, Charlie goes whole scenes without saying more than a word or two, but he's there in the end, last man standing, to claim his reward for his honesty, good nature and kind heart.

The other children are just as repulsive as I remembered them, and wonderful characters to loathe, their parents equally so.

Such an enjoyable Memory Lane trip, and my son loved this too. It wasn't too long for him, the chapters make it perfect for 5 year olds, the content and evil glee make it suitable for children right through primary school.

And now I'm off to find some lickable wallpaper. I wish.
VINE VOICEon 15 November 2015
When young Charlie Bucket finds a Golden Ticket in a chocolate bar, he and four others, along with parents etc, are whisked off to the famous but slightly ominous Wonka Factory for a tour headed by the reclusive and eccentric owner Mr Willy Wonka himself. Once inside the children’s and parent’s real personalities begin to appear and somehow seem to affect the tour when strange things start to happen. One by one the children are whittled down, usually by their own gluttony or avarice etc, to just one who wins the prize of a year’s supply of chocolate. However there is more to win if he or she can pass the secret final test!

Road Dahl’s most famous book, successfully filmed twice is a delightfully surreal yet potent warning about the perceived sins of Greed, Gluttony, Sloth and Avarice neatly wrapped up in a fabulous tale involving numerous new types of sweets, the small but strangely efficient Oompa Lumpa, (not sure of spelling), strange new technologies, wondrous sights and smells and of course lots of Dahl’s trademark moralising about how to bring up children the right way.

I’ve read this wonderful tale to my kids many times over the years and it never fails to keep their attention. I think it introduces them to ideas about personal responsibility, being kind to others, fairness, honesty, but also to remember to enjoy life outdoors and not spend it stuffing your face in front of the idiot box as Dahl often calls it. A little blunt perhaps but a clear message none the less.

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory is as brilliant as it is subversive.
on 3 March 2015
Instant classic this Roald Dahl story is. Indeed, this novel details how the little pauper Charlie Bucket wins a contest to visit the chocolate factory of the reclusive Mr.Willy Wonka. Alongside four other children and their parent, Charlie, with his grandfather, uncovers a world of sweets and danger that will test each of the boys and girls in their group. A story that also continues in the sequel, Charlie and the Glass Elevator, in which Charlie's family has a more serious involvement in.

Through this story, Roald Dahl displays to us different rotten behaviors children can exhibit. Gluttony, insolence, greed, and a craving for violence. Attitudes that parents are in general responsible for various reasons, either out of irresponsible parenting or by displaying such actions to their children. Which the author condemns through the Oompa-Loompas excellent songs as the factory's inventive machines and candies reveal the true nature of those who succumb to their temptations which I think even adults would want to eat for themselves if they were in that company.

Alongside Quentin Blake's awesome illustrations, the fantastical imagination of Roald Dahl becomes complete and turns into a world that is unlike what most children literature promotes. A story where the bad guys are not adults, but children. A moralistic classic that gave the author hostile reactions, including one vicious criticism from Ursula K LeGuin who accused him of making her daughter mean through this book she adored to reread. Fortunately, praises have overturned the majority of negative criticisms; geniuses like J K Rowling herself have promoted it as an important read for all children while the magnificent Tim Burton did a wonderful adaptation. A film whose plot and songs (Dahl's original lyrics with Danny Elfman's voices) I preferred over the pretentious musical that is Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory. For yes, to me that seventies movie was corny, mushy, and phony the instant I saw it. Though the worst was that the main actor's performance whom I found dandy; the polar opposite of Willy Wonka as he treated his movie as if he was Roald Dahl and had a monopoly on that universe. Attacking Tim Burton's book adaptation as a greedy remake; which is not true as the Dahl family has had nothing but praise and respect for Burton's work, saying that Roald would have been happy with that movie, unlike Wilder's stepettes (dance steps) he had loathed as much as I did.

In sum, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory is a classic as important to literature as is Wuthering Heights.
on 23 April 2010
Although this script tells a shortened version of Dahl's great classic it has become too simple. I bought this script with the intentions of using it for a Secondary School production using pupils aged 11-16. After reading it through I realised the script was far more suited to younger children. Its clear though that it has been adapted to suit a cast of about 20+ (Including Oompa Loompas) by allowing extra parents to accompany the ticket holders into the factory.

Personally I'm going to use small sections of the script alongside some sections of the film. (The first version, as I preferred it and it is available online if you google it) I'll also probably adapt some sections from the book.

I would however commend the writer for providing scenery, prop and costume advice in a section at the back of this book.

If you want an easy production with young children then go ahead and buy this script. I would especially reccomend this option to anyone who would need the extra advice in the back about staging and scenery. If you want something a little closer to the book you might be better off adapting your own. A lot of extra work I know, but far more worth it... cheaper.. and you wouldn't have to worry so much about paying for the rights etc to put it on.
on 28 June 2013
Bought for my 8yr old son for his birthday as he loves Charlie and Choc factory! Has book and film already and now has the set! Its very good and he loves it.
on 18 January 2008
How easy was it to get stuck into this book?
Very easy, because as soon as you read the first page, you straight away knew that the book was going to be interesting and exciting.

Who are the main characters?
Mr Willy Wonka - a funny man who just adores chocolate!
Charlie Bucket-the hero
Augustus Gloop-a greedy boy
Veruca Salt-a girl who is spoiled by her parents
Violet Beauregard-a girl who chews gum all day long
Mike Teavee-a boy who does nothing but watch T.V

Who is it written for?
Whoever likes chocolate would read this book all day long, so basically the answer is that anyone can read the book!

What is the storyline?
Well, 5 golden tickets are being wrapped in "Wonka Whipple Scrumptious Fudgemallow Delight!" and whoever finds one of the golden tickets will be taken on a guided tour around Willy Wonka's Chocolate Factory. Fortunately Charlie did get a golden ticket along with the 4 other children. (See main characters).Strange things happened to those 4 other children but not to Charlie. At the end of the book, the factory gets handed over to Charlie for being such a good boy. What a miracle for Charlie! Aman
on 23 April 2012
As a child I had mixed feelings about Dahl's books, but loved the films, especially the classic Gene Wilder version. Now that I have a little boy of my own I'm working on instilling the magic of books, and decided to try him on a paperback of the Fantastic Mr Fox - he loved it, and so did I. Next up some more substantial fare - enter Charlie. I have to say the book is great - I'm enjoying reading it and my son (very nearly 4) is fascinated by all the details - cabbage soup for dinner and mattresses on the floor etc.

I was particularly interested to see how he'd take to being read to from my tablet - he loves it and likes watching me flick the pages - I was a little worried the medium would be intrusive, but actually I think it works really well.

I haven't yet picked up any of the page-setting errors other reviewers have noted,so these may well have been remedied now, and the illustrations are luminous and lovely on my Blackberry Playbook (with side-loaded android kindle). I am particularly pleased to see that the kindle version is appropriately priced at £1.99 compared to the full price for the paperback.
on 14 February 2006
This is a review of this particular boxed set, not a review of the stories themselves.
These are large books and very substantial. The slipcase is thick, glossy, and sturdy. The slipcase and both dust jackets are beautifully illustrated. The illustrations both inside and out are by Joseph Schindelman, which is particularly important to me since I first read the books when I was in 3rd grade (in the seventies) and these are the illustrations I remember and love, ones I will always associate with these classics. I definitely recommend this set for Roald Dahl fans and collectors of children's books.
J.H. Sweet, author of The Fairy Chronicles