5.0 out of 5 stars As vivid as a novel
This is the history of a family which had some famous connections (Florence Nightingale, Barbara Bodichon), but is not especially well-known. If this sounds dull, the book is anything but! Moore has a wonderful and quirky eye for detail, which brings alive all of the varied characters in her family memoir. My own favourites are the magnificently bearded and moustached...
Published on 16 July 2010 by A Sussex reader

3.0 out of 5 stars Hancox..
I ordered this book following a promising review I read in one of the Sunday newspapers, but am sorry to say that I found it quite boring; in fact I have given it to a jumble sale.
Published 11 months ago by Gloria Howe

4.0 out of 5 stars What a lot of detail, 20 Feb. 2012
This review is from: Hancox (Paperback)
How lucky the author is to have such a wealth of diaries and letters to draw on and what a lot of detail there is in this book.

Mostly we both enjoyed this book and I think it says a lot about the author's considerable writing skill that only occasionally did either of us find the minutiae of family history heavy going.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Victorian novel - Hancox - A house and a family - vivid character sketches., 27 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Hancox (Kindle Edition)
This is being read by our library book chat circle. I thought it well written and cleverly interspersed with the historical events of the times. A little difficult to keep track of the different branches of the family when reading it on my kindle. It inspired me to keep on with researching my own family history.. .

4.0 out of 5 stars Like a Costume drama, 30 Jun. 2011
This review is from: Hancox (Paperback)
I read this book in kindle version and loved it. The people really came to life. I was devastated when I came to the end and found there were 60+ photos and plates which I could not view on Kindle. It was very well written and the characters were very well described. I enjoyed it immensely

5.0 out of 5 stars Hancox, 21 Aug. 2010
Along the same lines as Home by Julie Myerson, but I liked this much better. It is more coherent and we get to know the characters much, much better. If you liked The Music Room by William Fiennes, you might like this too. Highly recommended.

3.0 out of 5 stars Hancox.., 3 Mar. 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars Hancox, 16 Nov. 2010
Thoroughly recommend. I was drawn to it by a) reading the author's perceptive articles in The Guardian about her autistic children and b) it's very near where I live and I had no idea it was there.

3.0 out of 5 stars What a horrible family, 17 July 2010
The book is beautifully written. Unfortunately it deals with a gallery of very unpleasant people. It's a very long book as well, nearly 500 pages, and 500 pages listing of parental tyranny, emotional cruelty, religious fanaticism, hypocrisy and domineering relatives was a bit too much for me.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, 29 Aug. 2010
I bought this having read the article in the Daily Mail. The title is Hancox : A House and a Family. Sadly the author seems to dwell on her family but gives very little attention to the house! Of the photographs only the hall is featured and a couple of outside views. I wanted to see how this house had grown from the Elizabethan Hall - we are told that it has been added to and even that it was added to by the authors Great Grandfather but we don't see this. I am left feeling that I have just half the story and I so wanted to see and share this family home with you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing characters, 29 Jun. 2013
R. Wren "Bobbin" (Bexhill, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hancox (Paperback)
As the jacket says, you wouldn't believe these characters were possible if it was a novel. But they were real people!

5.0 out of 5 stars Arrived promptly and as described, 22 Aug. 2013
The book was in the condition described and it arrived promptly. What more can you ask? It is a book and all the pages are there.

Hancox