3.8 out of 5 stars1,140

We have had this toaster for over 6 months now so I thought I would give it a quick review.
If you take a look at the other reviews posted you'll get a good idea of what divides opinion. If you're after a smart looking item to match other MR products or red items in your kitchen then this is for you.
Nice metallic red front with chunky silver dials & sliders, brushed aly sides & big slots for toasting.
A nice collection of settings including defrost & this looks all set for use.
It is at this point that it all goes wrong. This has quite possibly the cheapest, tiniest & most useless line up of heating elements I have ever seen.
If you wish to have toast at anything other than anaemic & limp you will need to set the dials to maximum. Even at this setting the toast never gets very dark,(you'll need to do it twice for that), and browning takes over 5 minutes!
The lead is pathetically short & the levering mechanism flimsy beyond belief.
If you never really use your toaster & are just looking to 'accessorise' your kitchen then this is fine.
If however you actually want to toast some bread then may I suggest that you use a lighted match as it will make a better fist of it than this appallingly engineered item.
It reminds me of those hollywood sets that look like real houses but are simply 'fronts' with nothing behind. It looks like a toaster, quite a nice one, but behind the red facade there really isn't anything of much use to anyone.
It cost too much to just replace it so we are looking forward to the day it 'dies' so we can buy something better.
1010 comments|145 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 29 February 2012
We bought this in December and it has already burnt out on two of the toaster holes that's less than 2 months.
Its also extremely slow to cook the toast and you need a very high setting to make it tuern brown. All in all I thought it was very poor and I would not buy another.
on 19 August 2010
We have been really pleased with this toaster so far. It does a great job toasting bread. We especially like the dual browning choice feature. The colour is great and looks great in our kitchen. Very pleased.
on 2 April 2009
If, like I was, you have found yourself reading endless reviews of toasters, worried about getting a dud or somethign just as patchy or inconsistent as your old one, then my advice would be just to get this one.

It's understandable that we spend a long time researching these things - there is something about a toaster that makes it much more important than might otherwise be. We rely on it, it needs to be dependable, and it's often one of the first things we use in the morning, setting the tone for the rest of the day. This one I was relieved to find met that need. The toast dial settings have reassuring clicks, and I can vouch that setting the same numbers in each set of 2 slices measn your 2 lots of 2 will popo up at the same time - a sign they are well made and cllibrated. The toast itself is very evenly toasted - somethign that actually takes gettign used to after being so used to light patch here and a dark patch there. (This might even detratct from the charm of the variability, if you are particualry offput by the thought of your toast be 'too perfect'.)

The only slight downside is atually just a trade off. The widths are quite large, even allowing the most alarmingly mishapenly or oversized offcut to be toasted. The result though is that your cheap, every day bread can be a little bit thin, looking lost in the middle of that gaping slot - with the outcome that the bread is quite far from each element, adding a little to the toasting time. So, if you demand your toast ASAP and every second counts then perhpas go elsewhere. But if you want versitiliy, reliability and eveness, you can do much worse than this little reliable machine.
11 comment|91 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 21 December 2011
Whilst this toaster looks great, I can honestly say it is the worst toaster I've ever had. It is soooo slow, no fear of ever burning the toast. I would not recommend it, and have found cheaper toasters which are much better.
on 24 February 2011
Two separate toasters built into one
Good control over how toasted you want it - you can set each side to different setting
Looks good - Well made
Not five stars as large/tall sliced bread only just fits in it and sometimes needs prising out. An extra 5mm longer slot would have done it.
Used it every day for 2 months ........ no probs
on 22 February 2008
This is by far the best (but to be fair the dearest !) toaster we have used. It looks great, fitting in well with our 'retro' themed kitchen, although it would equally blend in well with any style, be it modern or traditional. The toast comes out perfectly toasted all round with none of the usual burnt hot spots that used to occur with our previous toasters. Only time will tell how reliable this is but so far I have been very impressed as i usually have with Morphy Richards products
11 comment|73 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 28 December 2011
bought this toaster to match kitchen,worst toaster i have had,contacted amazon who were fab and sent a replacemebnt next day,and arranged collection of first one,.the second toaster was just as bad,over five minutes on number 9 to get a half decent piece of toast,contacted morphy richards who said it should take 150 secs to make toast and if i'm not happy go back to amazon,contacted amazon who sorted it straight away and refunded me,0 marks morphy richards top marks amazon.
on 7 January 2011
Very disappointed with this toaster only received it a couple of days ago threw my old one out in the rubbish only to find that it actually was working better than this new one. This is the first thing I have bought from Amazon that I have not been happy with and I put all the packaging in the bin on the day it arrived due to it being collection day. I would not recommened this toaster to anyone. I have to put the toast in twice to get it to brown and then the toast is like a brick so really not happy with this at all.
44 comments|23 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 7 September 2010
Had this toaster about 3 weeks now and it makes great toast. Nice even toasting all over and nice crunchy toast.

The slots are deep and wide for longer or thicker bread.

The defrost button helps with thicker bread , seems to put the elements on at a lower heat until its thawed before toasting. Not sure about the reheat function doesn't seem to have much use.

Seems to take a little longer to toast than my old cheap 2 slots. Perhaps because of the wider slots but this seems to help with toasting process, rather than quickly browning the outside .

The picture does not do it justice , the colour is a nice deep red .