5.0 out of 5 stars poppy's war first novel

Published on 21 Jan 2011 by P L Willsmore

5.0 out of 5 stars poppy's war first novel, 11 Jan 2011
Robert G. W. Gowen (uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Poppy's War (Paperback)
Poppy's War was bought for me (Mrs P. Gowen) for Christmas by my husband as he had read a review and realized it was just the sort of book I would read. I have just finished reading this excellent first novel by Lily Baxter. Being over 80 myself it brought back memories of children being evacuated to the country during the second world war, land girls who did a wonderful job while the menfolk were away etc.
I found it was difficult to put it down, it was so well written and very intersting all the way through to the end. Well done to Lily Baxter for her first novel - more to come please.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing book!, 29 Dec 2010
This review is from: Poppy's War (Paperback)
This is an addictive and exciting book written by new author - Lily Baxter. The story of Poppy Brown is written in an intelligent and interesting manner. Only downside is that the chapters themselves are quite long but that shouldn't be too much of a problem as once you begin reading this book, its hard to stop! 5* from me (:

5.0 out of 5 stars poppy's war, 11 Dec 2010
This review is from: Poppy's War (Paperback)
This is a great book about the wa,r its about a young girl and her toubles during the war. Never seen it in the shops where i live. Only took a couple of days to come thoughly enjoyed it. one to read if you like family sagas

3.0 out of 5 stars Ok for a light read, 21 Jan 2011
This review is from: Poppy's War (Kindle Edition)
Well, I wanted a light read and this was fine. I read it in one sitting because I was in the mood and it was a very easy, comfortable read. If I was going to criticise it, I would say it was mostly rather predictable and those bits that weren't were slightly ridiculous! As I say, though, I was in the mood for a cosy read and this fit the bill nicely. (I would have been disappointed had I paid full price though!)

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 24 Jun 2011
This review is from: Poppy's War (Paperback)
I had this book given to me for my birthday. I'd never heard of Lily Baxter and I was a bit dubious as to wheather I'd enjoy this book. Well I needn't have worried. As soon as I started it I couldn't put it down. I finished it in two sittings.

I loved the character of Poppy and I am so glad that she got the man of her dreams. The book was very well written and easy to read and not drawn out to the point of reading this book as a sleep aid. Far from it. Don't read this book if you want to get off to sleep in reasonable time as it will hold your attention right until the last page.

Lovely story. Good page turner. Will be looking out for more of her books.

4.0 out of 5 stars Poppy's war paperback book, 1 Dec 2010
J. W. Terry (lincolnshire uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Poppy's War (Paperback)
Bought for my wife, she found this book a very good read, and has passed it on to her friends.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good book, 28 July 2013
This review is from: Poppy's War (Kindle Edition)
A nice easy read, a gentle read not my normal page turner but enjoyable light hearted read. Poppy is a love person who if you met you would like her.

5.0 out of 5 stars Need a second book!, 5 April 2013
This review is from: Poppy's War (Kindle Edition)
Loved it! Great romance war time read but gutted it ended! Would love a follow up to know what happened in the future

4.0 out of 5 stars Poppy's War, 31 Aug 2011
This review is from: Poppy's War (Kindle Edition)
A gentle sweet story. Unfortunately you can accurately predict the end by the time you have finished the first chapter. Worth a read though despite that.

4.0 out of 5 stars Pilot's War, 29 May 2014
This review is from: Poppy's War (Kindle Edition)
A simple story, well told of life as it was before, during and after the War years and its effect on all classes.

Enjoyable read.