5.0 out of 5 stars Short but Sweet
Food Rules by Michael Pollan is a great book. It is short, and easy and quick to read. Every teenager and every adult in Britain should own it and read it. It should be part of the curriculum. Probably you know quite a lot of this food wisdom already, but this book crystallizes it all, in simple rules. Your grandmother will be saying "I told you so."...
Published on 27 Jun 2010 by Steeve139

2.0 out of 5 stars In Defence of Food - the Lite Version
Published on 4 Feb 2010 by Pontius

5.0 out of 5 stars Short but Sweet, 27 Jun 2010

Michael and the book are both American, but the Americanisms don't get in the way of the message.

The low price of this book is a reflection of its size, not its value. You will definitely not regret buying this book. Buy two and give one to someone you love. If you are a teacher, buy every student in your class their own copy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hilariously good advice, 19 July 2010
Ceiteag (Western Isles, Scotland) - See all my reviews
A previous reviewer refered to 'Food rules' as a dumbed down re-write of Pollan's 'In defence of food', questioning why anyone would buy the adridged version. Well I bought it to pass the time on a train, and it made me laugh out loud all the way to Bristol. It's packed full of witty aphorisms that will transform your shopping habits overnight. Now, whenever I go shopping I have Pollan's 'food rules' ringing in my ears. If I have an impulse to buy junk food, I just recall that I should 'avoid food products that make health claims', or not 'eat anything your great-grandmother wouldn't recognize as food'. Even though I was already aware of many of the issues that he covers, this really does help me make better choices about my eating.

4.0 out of 5 stars A good beginners' guide, 5 July 2010
This book is in essence a summary of "The Omnivore's Dilemma" and "In Defense of Food." It offers no new conclusions, but what does one do passionate enough about a subject? One tries to drive the message home, time and again, hoping to reach each and everyone of us; the scientifically minded, the health conscious, those "too busy" to read through 400+ pages. Different people have different priorities, and what's right for one isn't right for everyone. I still recommend "Food Rules" to those who want a "lite" introduction into Michael Pollan.

5.0 out of 5 stars What a great little book!, 29 Sep 2012
Virginia Kidd "Ginny" (West Sussex, UK) - See all my reviews
Food Rules came highly recommended by a nutritionist at the Penny Brohn Cancer Centre in Bristol. It is a great little book because Michael Pollan demystifies the whole subject of what we should eat these days when the supermarkets offer a bewildering array of products and there is conflicting advice everywhere we turn on whether we should be low-fat, low-carb, low GI, low GL, high fibre etc. My shelves are full of the latest advice, collected over the years, most of which conflicts with the earlier "latest advice". This book is quite different. Based on a good understanding of nutrition science, Pollen has reduced the chaos into less than 70 witty little rules that are easy to remember and lighthearted enough to appeal to the most hardened skeptic. It takes minutes to read, can be taken anywhere, left in the loo for amusement but the messages are sound, memorable and skillfully delivered. Eat food, not too much, mostly plants. It takes a great deal of skill to arrive at such a simple message. I'm giving it to all my friends and family.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very very good, 27 July 2010
Excellent, concise and incredibly clear.
Written in straightforward, precise and easy to understand language.
Good sensible, credible and easy to follow advice.

5.0 out of 5 stars Valuable little pocket book, 22 Jan 2011
Pollan's new book is zippy, short, and very attractive. I find myself quoting from it regularly.

Nothing esoteric or windy. Just some good old fashioned sense mixed with a little melody.

I'm a big fan.

Very affordable in comparison to the usual tomes of nutritional bibles on sale.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 8 Aug 2010
This book is brilliant. It reminds us of the basic facts for a good healthy eating plan. Buy a copy for all your friends - they will be truly thankful.

4.0 out of 5 stars A very easy common sense read, 7 Aug 2010
This book was sent to me quickly and just as quickly I read it - all the information in this little book reminded me of how I used to eat as a child - lots of good wholesome food and no junk food which is really how we should all be eating. A well written and easy read.

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy Peasy, 3 Aug 2010
Hi. It only takes a few hours to read which is NOT a bad thing. It is simple information, uncluttered. It's worth a read. I've changed a few habits, another read will remind me of a few more EASY ways to eat healthily.

2.0 out of 5 stars In Defence of Food - the Lite Version, 4 Feb 2010
This is the non-science version of Michael Pollan's outstanding book 'In Defence of Food', a 'lite' version if you will. You should treat it the same way Michael treats non-fat and 'lite' foods in his book, and stay away. In Defence of Food is a great book. It's very easy to read, and the science is well explained. There really was no need for a dumbed down version, a 'Food for Idiots' version. No need beyond the commercial, at least.

Do yourself a favour and buy the real book. And if you've already read that book, then don't waste your time on this one. Why buy an abridged version of a book after you've read the original?

Food Rules: An Eater's Manual