5.0 out of 5 stars Edward needs a favour...
Published on 19 Feb 2000

3.0 out of 5 stars If you liked this series up till now, stop here.
If you liked this series up till now, stop here.

From this book in, there are no serious stories. Anita goes from being a serious character to a caricature of herself. New characters are introduced for one purpose only and there are no decent storylines at all.

Published on 29 July 2010 by M Paul

5.0 out of 5 stars Edward needs a favour..., 19 Feb 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: Obsidian Butterfly (Hardcover)
Wow, 'Death' has a secret life! And what a life it is. When Edward calls Anita to say he needs a favour she has no idea what she's in for. In "Obsidian Butterfly" Anita Blake rides to the rescue of Edward's public persona 'Ted Forrester', who is helping the police with catching a serial murderer. In between getting to know Edward a lot better Anita also has to deal with a rival necromancer, a local werewolf-pack, a delusional Vampire Master (so what's new) and a serial murderer the likes of which no one has seen before. Of course it doesn't help that Edward has problems of his own, and that he has called in two other 'friends' one of whom wants to bed her and one who just wants to carve her into little pieces.
I really like this book and the way Hamilton portrays Anita Blake as someone who is constantly wondering if killing the monsters has made her one of them. The sarcasm is still there, too, and just makes everything better. The action is fast paced and you never get bored with the plot. Even at the very end there's enough twists to leave you wondering what will happen next. Great read, as usual!

5.0 out of 5 stars Obsidan butterfly, 12 May 2003
In this book the ninth of the series Laurell. K. Hamilton takes Anita Blake out of Lousiana sending her away from all complicated matters of her love life for an adventure with Edward the assasin, i personally find Edward very interesting and was glad to see he got his own book, in which we find out a lot about him. It also gives us a chance to see Anita as she was at the beginning of the series without any complicated friendships. Edward calls in his favour from when Anita killed his back-up - the favour? To be Edwards back-up and help him solve a case. It is really worth reading again and again i've lost count of how many times i've read it, it is my favourite book of the series.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hamilton delivers once again...BUY BUY BUY!!!!, 9 Dec 2001
"Obsidian Butterfly" manages to include all the winning elements of the Anita Blake novels whilst evolving the tone of the series. Scary monsters-check, more secondary characters added to the cast-check, gory crime scenes- check and then some! The main reason I love this book is that we finally return to Anita doing what Anita does best: solving preternatural crime and kicking monster butt. This novel rejuvenates the entire series. I love all of Hamilton's well drawn characters but I personally have grown weary of the love triangle between animator,vampire, and werewolf taking over every plot. "Obsidian Butterfly" breaks this mould by allowing Anita time away from the boys, as Edward (everyone's favourite assassin) calls in a favour and invites Anita to go monster hunting in New Mexico. This is the longest book in the series but the pages fly by as we discover more about Edward's past and (gasp)homelife, as well as uncovering a multitude of villains: a werewolf pack, a sadistic Aztec vampiress who thinks she is a goddess, not to mention a big nasty which skins its victims!
There is plenty of action and all of the separate villains motives and plot threads come together nicely. Hamilton's creation of the scary Olaf (a colleague of Edwards) is terrifying and we're sure to see him again! I warn readers that the plot is much,much gorier than usual with lovingly detailed descriptions of flaying and skinning forming a chunk of the narrative. Its saving grace is as ever the snappy dialogue, especially between Edward and Anita as we are given a new more tender insight into their relationship.We explore in depth Anita's fears that she is becoming a cold blooded sociopath like Edward, unhindered by her usual worries about the morality of her love life and who to pick of her two lovers. Regular readers may be disapointed by the removal of Jean Claude and Richard in this book but they shouldn't let this put them off: this is vintage Anita Blake, a must buy for any fan, in short book 10 has a lot to live up to!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Chilled me to the bone., 17 April 2007
m "kissthebubble" (Manchester, England) - See all my reviews
I'm up at 02:31 because I've just finshed this book. Believe me when I tell you that not only is this book harrowing, it is shocking and chilling.

I have a tendency to be unnerved of what goes bump in the night. The fact that I had to wait at the bottom of the stairs, come up and decide the hallway to my bedroom freaked me out, go back downstairs, turn the light on to the landing and then run to my room and smack the light switch to make sure there was nothing in my room, should tell you how much this book got to me. Even now, all the lights are on, and I find myself looking behind my shoulder to make sure there are no monsters. I'm 20. Writing this makes me feel a little ridiculous, but I suppose procrastination makes us all tick.

Now, to the actual review.

Laurell K. Hamilton has done it again, once more only with relish. The amount of imagery this novel is steeped in is incredible. She has outdone herself with the plot and made it genuinely creepy, exhilerating and most importantly, human.

Anita goes to New Mexico to meet Edward for a favour she owes him for killing one of his back ups. There she meets some people that give us and her more insight on this previously enigmatic character. I myself was as shocked as Anita was when some of the personal revelations were discovered. Hamilton cleverly incorporates these people creatively into the fray and I have no idea how she does it. She creates believeable characters, people that you or I might know, and charges the book with emotions. You can completely understand how Anita is willing to pull a trigger for people she has just met. Now, that is scary.

I have to say, this review is more of an exorcism for me, so it probably hasn't made much sense. There are more detailed plot reviews below. But because I am failing to be fully conherent, let me leave you with this.

It is by far the best Anita Blake book I have read. Unlike one of the reviewers, I was glad from the break of Jean-Claude and Richard - I've read a later book and all there is sex and very little plot and as much as I hate to disparage an Anita book, I can't shy away from it either.

Be glad of Anita without ardeur. Be glad her conscience is so prominent, her story still about her life as an Executioner and all the other gory bits and horrors that befit her life. It is a fantastic book that will stay with you for a long time and if you're anything like me, glad for dawn to break so that some of the monsters will be hampered for the day.

4.0 out of 5 stars At Last!, 27 Feb 2002
By A Customer
At last we get to know more about Edward the shadowy bounty hunter that pops in and out of Anitas life. He is a great character and I have to admit that I was more interested in what the book told us about him than the story itself.It was made even better as it took Anita away from her tedious love triangle with Richard and Jean Claude which was initially interesting but began to detract from her stories. I hope we see more of this , development of other characters and development of Anitas increasing powers instead of the trend of a romantic sexual story with a few monsters on the side. This story was truly disturbing in many respects.

3.0 out of 5 stars If you liked this series up till now, stop here., 29 July 2010
M Paul "Mags" (Scotland) - See all my reviews
If you liked this series up till now, stop here.

I enjoyed the series up till now and kept reading in the hope that they would return to the storylines and action of the first 10 , but the 8 next books are not worth the paper they were printed on.

Very, very disappointed.

4.0 out of 5 stars It's great, but where are all the monsters?, 10 Dec 2001
I'm a huge Anita fan, and this book didn't disapoint me.Although the lack of the love interests did , as well as the lack of monster mayhem. This was a supremly good read,and I found that I couldnt put it down!
It was a joy to be told more about Edward, who is one of the most chilling charicters. This book leaves you begging for more, and makes you wonder whats next for the caracter? My advice , READ IT !

5.0 out of 5 stars Edward/Ted Rocks! As Does Anita, Obviously!, 2 Mar 2005
Laurell Hamilton dedicated "Obsidian Butterfly," to her "Edward fans" - meaning that nice guy Ted Forrester, whose alter ego Edward, a sociopathic assassin, co-star, along with protagonist Anita, in this ninth novel in the Anita Blake Vampire Hunter series. Edward, is a hit man specializing in monsters - vampires, lycanthropes, even an occasional human. He is an equal opportunity killer, a predator, no doubt about it. Monsters call him "Death," but then they call Anita "Executioner." Both have bad, but honest, raps in the world of the undead. Edward is also Anita's deadliest ally and good friend, when he's not fantasizing about killing her in a duel to the death to see which is faster on the draw. The book opens with a telephone call, Edward to Anita. He wants a favor. She owes him. He needs her help, backup assistance, in Santa Fe, NM, now. What else can Anita do, but go?
Edward's sociable half, Ted, meets her at the airport. Ted Forrester is Edward's only legal identity, as well as the persona he assumes when dealing with most humans. He is a bounty hunter, it looks better on a business card than assassin. The ease with which Edward switches back and forth, between himself and the likeable Ted, is spooky. Then again, Richard Zeeman, Anita's primary love interest, switches to his werewolf form quickly. And vampire Jean-Claude, the other love...forgive me, I digress. But you get the drift. Ted, rather than Edward, meets Anita because his fiance and her two children are outside waiting for them. Engaged? Her name is Donna, a New Age, naive single mother with an adolescent son and a little girl who could pass for Shirley Temple. Ted must have popped the question while Edward was focused elsewhere, but both halves appear to be extremely attached to this Norman Rockwell-like family. Ted/Edward realize he is unable to maintain normalcy long enough to marry. Also, anyone he loves becomes a potential hostage for his numerous enemies.
The New Mexican authorities, police and FBI, have asked Ted to assist them in an unspeakably savage serial murder case. The few survivors have been skinned alive and mutilated, the dead were brutally ripped limb from limb. Yeachh! Supposing that the predator(s) might be supernatural, Edward contacted Anita. Despite Anita's record as a consultant to the St. Louis Regional Preternatural Investigation Team, the bigoted local police resent her interference, especially the Lieutenant, who thinks she's a witch. Working alongside Edward and Anita are the backup team, Olaf and Bernardo. Olaf is an unrepentant rapist, who hates Anita on sight, especially since Edward thinks so highly of her. And hunky Bernardo is more than willing to have an extremely short-term, intimate relationship with her, which Edward strongly supports. He really wants her to distance from Richard and Jean-Claude.
All known monster species are eliminated as possible perpetrators during the investigation, but there is definitely dark magic involved with the crimes. The clues point to magic which was once known to the Aztecs. The search takes our team from the local Vampire Queen, Itzpapalotl, to the nearest den of werewolves, their Ulfric and his pet "'witch," a fellow necromancer, like Anita. Anita senses a power so strong it turns her blood cold, and has since day one. Ultimately, this is about good vs. evil. I'm rooting for the good guys, although sometimes it is hard to tell them apart. The thrills, chills and mystery along the way will rivet you to your seat, and your eyes to the page. Even with the obvious absence of the romantic triumvirate and the unusual suspects, "Obsidian Butterfly" provides an excellent read.
My only complaint, are the initial 40 pages, which find Anita and Edward bickering, bantering, threatening, etc. Enough, Ms. Hamilton! We all know Ms. Blake is a tough lady. You bog the reader down with an unwieldy vaudeville act as an introduction to the story. This gets old real fast. I decided to rate the book 5 stars, however, because the storyline and narrative are spellbinding - even after the bad beginning. As always, Laurell Hamilton and cohorts rock!!
Jana

5.0 out of 5 stars Obsidian Butterfly, 3 Feb 2010
Edward needs a favour. He's up to his eyeballs in bloody remains and he's calling in his bargain with Anita to come back him up on a case. Someone or something is busy chowing down on the citizens of New Mexico. Anita gets quite excited (and fearful) at the idea of backing Edward up on his own turf: excited because she will finally get to see what Edward does when he's not killing monsters, and fearful because she can't imagine what could possibly make Edward call her for, that he couldn't handle himself.

Anita is surprised to find that this normally empty and cold person has a personal life, and shocked at his ability to be entirely different from the killer she's known. Anita faces more problems than just Edward baffling her -- there's a right-wing Christian police officer in charge in Albuquerque, who believes her powers are evil, with whom she has to contend. And she's also up against it when she meets Edwards other backup on the case: Olaf a shady character and Bernardo who is very very pretty. There's some long over due soul searching going on here and we get to see Anita reach a conclusion on some things... we also see her deal with her own vulnerability and self inflicted isolation. She's tried to shut down her ties to Richard and Jean-Claude but living without them has turned out to be harder than she thought. I liked this development for her and it's made clear that at the heart of the character, she wants love as much as anyone else does, killer or no. Anita may be afraid of ending up like Edward, but even he demonstrates that he's not completely desolate inside.

'Obsidian Butterfly' is probably the best Anita Blake book of the series. It's very long but I never got bored with the length and felt the need to skim any passages. There were probably places that could have been trimmed down ever so slightly, but in general everything was interesting and compelling. I absolutely love and adore Edward so having him in this novel right in the thick of things was a real treat; I felt quite spoiled actually. 'Obsidian Butterfly' was incredibly satisfying on that front -- most of it focusing on Anita's complex relationship with Edward. Their friendship has always interested me and I found this book fascinating in the way it both fleshed out and explored it. We'd always known Anita's feelings on Edward but we finally got to see beneath his mask in this book and see how he really felt about her -- Edward's speech that he and Anita are soul mates, that she was like a part of his soul I totally agreed with. That fact that they have this great platonic friendship makes the declaration un-cheesy and more meaningful because they are the same inside, they are each others family. I did enjoy learning more about Edward, he was chilling at the start and genuinely creeped me out with his little split personality: the Ted/Edward personas'.

The story was gripping. I was on the edge of my seat to find out what was behind all the bodies and flaying of skin. The tension was built up really well and I thought the climax was well handled. I liked Anita soul searching and working things out internally... it seemed fitting that she should struggle with her morality under the watch of her former mentor. Edward proves to her that he's still that guy in many ways; giving her advice and comfort, still having things to teach her. I loved the new characters, Olaf and Bernardo, and hope to see them both again. Overall, an excellent and well written book!

5.0 out of 5 stars BUY IT, READ IT, READ IT AGAIN!!, 22 Feb 2002
By A Customer
Hamilton delivers the most captivating character evolution yet!! Here we have Edward or 'Ted', who we once knew as three things- violent, sociopath, and always there when you need him.Buy now he has evolved into a different person- has more ppl that he cares about and that he would kill for, it makes it a little more interesting for the next time we see Edward. This book is a well written book, and i don't know about ne1 else but Edward is one of my fave characters but now he is a new and improved Edward, and it means that Edawrd has more depth.
One of my fave books, and i would reccomend it to anyone...... BUY IT, READ IT, READ IT AGAIN!!