on 16 February 2011
I bought this radio to replace my Pure Evoke 2 (which had a very poor build quality and was rubbish). I did a bit of research and it came out quite well, sound good and cheaper than Bose & Pure. Set up is easy and quick. I live in a fair area for Freeview TV so I was a bit disappointed at the number of stations it can pick up, I needed to have it close to a window to receive anything at all, which is odd as I live in a timber frame house so no metal in the way! It gets about 20 stations in my area, perhaps this will improve as the broadcast strength is boosted.
Sound wise I found that the Equaliser allowed me to tweak the output to a good degree and I am very happy with the quality of what I do receive. The wattage is not great so it might struggle in a large living area with lots of soft furnishings, I found sound quality is best if the unit is placed up against a wall.
The unit sports an iPod dock with a good number of adaptors and I found that my iPod would connect even with the Griffen hard case I have it in, I'm pretty sure it would also connect with any of the thinner cases available for iPod this is good as it is a right fag to have to take the case off when you want to just drop it on the dock. I wish manufacturers would think a bit about this because I'm sure loads of us use cases for our expensive ipos/phones etc.
The small remote control unit is a nice touch if used in a living room and you dont want to get up to change volume etc but more important if you use in a kitchen so you dont get flour or grease on the main unit. The remote is easily wiped with a damp cloth. The remote unit also controls the ipod but is a bit fiddly to change albums etc but I think this is is not a big deal as you cant see the Ipod screen from the other side of the room anyway. You can go back and forwards through a playlist so it's fine for dinner parties etc.
Another nice touch is the on/off button which glows a faint orange when the unit is off so you can find it easily in the dark. All the other features listed in the manufacturers data work as advertised. The display is also dimable in stages (not infinite) so if used in a bedroom you can adjust to a low level this is a good feature as I also had an ALBA which was so bright you could read a book by its light & I had to put paper over it so I could sleep!
Conclusion: This is a value for money product with a few nice touches, time will tell how reliable it is.Roberts Radios Sound 66 DAB/FM RDS Sound System with Dock for iPod
on 4 November 2010
Very good sound

The Roberts sound 66 fits perfectly on a shelf and sounds very good for its size if placed close to a wall, I like a lot of bass.
I am using a fourth generation iPod, which once set to play the remote will allow you to skip tracks & operate volume. It is a quality sound system which punches above its wait, a"Bose" without the premium price.
However, not to detract from the quality of the item, beware companies that use Home Delivery Network, They are a courier company that keeps customers at arms length, no email address or phone number, so I was unable to communicate the fact that we are difficult to find, and had to shout through the seller, very frustrating.
on 29 November 2010
Bought as a replacement for a DAB radio that has irritated me since I got it. This one solves all the problems. No longer is the whole bedroom illuminated by a spooky blue light, the radio is now worth switching on to enjoy music rather than just wake me up in the morning. There are some nice details; the alarm can be set to weekdays, so you only need to switch it off on holidays.
The sound is as good as I expected, it may lack a little sparkle and with speakers so close together cannot really be called stereo. Sound comes from two mid-range cone drivers, there appears to be a port underneath. It works even better with my iPod classic. It's worth fiddling with the set's position to get the best sound, and don't shove the manual underneath if you want the clearest lower-midrange.
It's not real Hifi, but it is music.
on 3 November 2010
I purchased this for use in the kitchen. Setting up the radio (FM and DAB) presets is a bit fiddly otherwise the system is very good. The sound quality and options such as base and treble variations are excellent so it could be used in a much larger space such a lounge and even outdoors (weather permitting.
on 5 June 2011
Bought this to replace a Vita Audeo that had failed, so a high bar for sound quality. The sound is good for its size and the DAB reception works well.

I've just moved it down to the kitchen because it's too fiddly to use at the bedside. Everything is driven by a close group of llittle buttons that are easy to mistake in the dark and that click loudly. Plus, the inevitable headphone socket at the back where you can't reach it (don't any radio designers use their own creations?).

It can't handle my iPhone without interference from the phone signal. I know that it's licensed for pods, but I happen to have a phone and other radios appear to be able to cope.

It feels like a device that's reasonably well engineered from the inside but where they haven't paid attention to the usability.
on 12 November 2012
In these days where the great British public is being led down the track of digital everything, it is extremely annoying that manufacturers are not providing their customers with products that support good DAB reception.

I was particularly looking for a simple radio/alarm clock for the bedroom. It seems that most product is available with a fiddly wire aerial which is "...neither use nor ornament..." where I live but, after viewing the Roberts Sound 66 in a local shop (trying to find rear-view pictures on the Internet is pretty-nigh impossible), it was clear that the supplied telescopic aerial could be removed to be replaced with an "F Plug" connector and hence a proper downlead. As you will see from the pictures I'm posting, it is a simple matter to remove the cowl which covers the supplied aerial connection, using a small screwdriver and a spanner, without the need for a degree in electronics.

The unit itself is quite large for a bed-side cabinet; although I own an iPod, I have no real need to use it by my bed, but it may prove useful at some point in the future. The Sound 66 unit is supplied with a selection of iPod adaptors.

The Sound 66 suits my ears, and there are adequate digital tone controls to adjust the output to my liking.

I have written to Roberts Radio by filling-in their Web form, asking which alarm clock/radios in their current range have the ability to be connected to an external aerial? However, and as seems par for the course for many businesses these days, they have not replied. Given the firm has a Queens Award for Industry, my experience is that their customer service isn't exactly top-notch.

Whilst I'm very happy with the unit itself, I'm marking it down simply because I have had to spend a lot of money to get what I wanted - an alarm clock/radio with an external aerial connector.
review image review image
on 4 May 2011
I bought this because I wanted and iPod dock as a replacement for a stand alone cd player/radio. It does everything I wanted and, most importantly, it sounds great. It isn't HiFi but, for such a compact unit, the sound is quite amazing. It was very easy to set up, just plug it in and let it tune its self. It found over 60 DAB stations in Leeds.
Finding the correct insert for the dock was a bit hit and miss as there was no indication which of the 7 or so to use but it only has to be done once so not a big problem. Operationally it is fine with all the controls on both the button box and on the unit though they are not laid out in quite the same way and function slightly differently. The only thing I think could be more intuitive is the method of changing preset stations, a minor point, but then nothing is perfect. If you are looking for a stand alone unit to produce quality sound from radio and ipod, this represents very good value for money.
on 26 January 2012
Looking for a clock radio with ipod dock I found that there were a vast number of products available. I must say that Roberts were not top of my brand shopping list, but, having been along to my local John Lewis and tested out various makes and versions of this type of product, I felt that there was little alternative to the Roberts Sound 66. Functionality is reasonably impressive: multiple programmable alarms with choice of wake-up alert (radio, ipod etc), DAB radio and dock with various adapters so compatible with virtually any ipod/iphone around. Sound is very good, clear and crisp over all frequencies and the speakers powerful enough to fill a good sized bedroom. At maximum volume there is a hint of tinniness but it is possible to remedy this by lowering the treble level a notch or two but this is a small concern since the product is clearly not designed for ear-shattering power. Controls are fairly intuitive, for example setting an alarm is taken step by step using only a couple of buttons, and the play/pause/track button layout on the remote and on the unit itself mirror ipod controls. The remote can also be used to dim the display and change between 6 EQ settings, as well as all the usual controls. The radio reception has been excellent, something I was unsure about since I live in a ground floor flat where I frequently struggle for mobile phone reception. This may be down to the telescopic aerial which is more than most DAB manufacturers provide. The unit also sports 3.5mm line in/out and headphone sockets and usb socket. Build quality is excellent, the ash cabinet gives a 'premium' look and all feels solid. Buttons give a satisfying click when pushed and the display is clear and a good size. For this price point I would suggest that it would be hard to better this product and Roberts have clearly understood the brief and built a high quality clock radio unit which offers great value for money.
on 12 June 2012
Just received this item, took 5 mins to set up, sounds fantastic on DAB stations I haven't got an Ipod or Iphone but connected MP3 player thru the Aux and sounds fantastic :-) Well worth the money, better than I expected, bought this as a replacement for a Pure Chronos you just can't compare the 2 .
Excellent!!! I bought this to play in the kitchen but is good enough for any room !!!! I now want to get a Roberts WiFi one with CD player for the living room.
Go out and buy one you'll never know what you've been missing until you hear one of these.
on 3 May 2011
I live in an area where the DAB signal struggles, however I've been impressed the excellent signal strength from this radio. The radio is clear with minimal interference. This unit is located in a spare room and the quality of the speakers are impressive with good bass. Please note to connect a 2nd gen ipod touch you'll need the dock adaptor as none of the right size came with this unit. One slight frustration, the headphone jack plugs in at the back, however overall an excellent product.