5.0 out of 5 stars WARNING - Amazon have lsited the wrong pic
This is the classic comeback Lonnie album, produced by Adam Faith and featuring the elite of 70s UK rock. However Amazon have used a cover of a cheap Lonnie compilation. Don't worry though, it IS the real Puttin' On The Style.
Published on 24 Aug. 2010 by David Gallagher

3.0 out of 5 stars not what I expected
Published on 14 July 2008 by White Rose

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars not what I expected, 14 July 2008
This review is from: Puttin' On the Style (Audio CD)
it's not the album I am looking for. I had a cassette album when Lonnie was playing with Rory Gallagher, Elton John, Ronnie Wood, Zoot Money and Adam Faith. Tha's the one I want, that's the one I am desperate for. It knocks this one into the nearest cocked hat, believe me! This is good, this is a good all round Lonnie showcase and one to treasure but it is not THE album I seek. If anyone has a copy of that absolutely stunning tape, get it onto CD for me, please... I am desperate to get a copy. My cassette player ate it ...
The album is hysterically funny with Lonnie hamming it up and the others having a wonderful time playing along with it.
This is a showcase CD set, worth having if you don't have any or need some of Lonnie's wonderful songs but it isn't the best by a very very long way indeed.

5.0 out of 5 stars WARNING - Amazon have lsited the wrong pic, 24 Aug. 2010
David Gallagher "a_band_apart" (Glasgow, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Puttin' On The Style (Audio CD)

5.0 out of 5 stars Putting on the Style: Lonnie Donegan and friends - Coming back with style, 23 Aug. 2012
Victor (Hull, England) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Puttin' On The Style (Audio CD)
Note - This review is for `Puttin On The Style': Lonnie Donegan, ASIN B003TRV0VE, 2010 reissue on Sanctuary of the 1977 Chrysalis album

Through the late `50s, one man ruled British music - with his powerful voice, rocking rhythms, mix of novelty songs and covers of people such as Ledbelly and Woody Guthrie, Lonnie Donegan was THE man. His music inspired so many of the greats of the sixties, including the Beatles, who were brought together through a love of his frenetic skiffle style.

For a man so hugely successful and influential, he largely fell out of favour with the public in the late sixties and early seventies, recording only sporadically. Then came 1978 and Donegan entered the recording studio with Adam Faith as his producer, and a host of younger artists who had been inspired by Donegan to re-record some of his greatest hits. This impressive album was the result, and won Donegan renewed critical and commercial success. Strangely, after the follow up `Sundown', it would be almost another 20 years before we had another studio album from the great man.

So, enough context, what about the music? It's brilliant. Donegan has surrounded himself with a who's who of contemporary big names, far too many to list here. It seems like the world and his dog were at the recording sessions. The style is rocky, with all screaming guitars and powerful drums, and at times the plethora of musicians threatens to get out of hand and create a confused mess, but Donegan holds it all together. His voice is audibly deeper, more powerful than his heyday, and he uses it to great effect blending in and rising above the heavy rock vibe with ease. By keeping him centre stage and allowing him to stamp his authority on the recordings the record turns into something quite special. The musiacians doing homage to him do just that - they pay their dues but never overpower the record or fragment the recording with competing egos. Best of all, it really sounds like everyone was having a real blast, the sheer joy that these guys were feeling at being in the recording studio is quite infectious. It's a record of music that you will really enjoy.

This 2010 Sanctuary release is pretty good. It contains the original album with 4 extra tracks, all of which add to the album and don't feel tacked on to make up space as is so often the way with extras. The sound quality is pretty good, with a nice clear and bright remastering. There are liner notes with details of recording personnel and an essay regarding the genesis and recording of the album, along with notes about many of the songs and their origins. It descends a little into hagiography at times but is interesting and sets the scene well nonetheless.

5 stars for this extremely welcome release of a surprisingly hard to find album.

5.0 out of 5 stars Puttin on the style Lonnie Donegan, 26 Oct. 2010
This review is from: Puttin' On The Style (Audio CD)
Kinda like the album Sundown ....this album was in my opinion one of the best from a great artist ...with a contemporary Rock feel and a load of great musicians paying homage to Lonnie for his influence on them ....highly recommended ....just one small error on the Amazon site ....the album cover is NOT the one shown ....kinda like the content ...the actual album cover is more contemporary.

3.0 out of 5 stars A REAL STAR, JUDGED BY THE ADMIRATION OF OTHERS, 25 Jun. 2014
This review is from: Puttin' On The Style (Audio CD)
The mid 70s saw Lonnie's health deteriorating with yet more heart problems. No longer in the charts either, he was also over stressed by the continuous touring and got so fed up of playing the same old skiffle hits night after night that he even loathed them in the end. Still. he'd made his millions, even went to live in the States to avoid tax and tried to get his health back. His only recording work came from collaborations with other artists and musicians -- Van Morrison for one, and his early trad jazz giant colleague Chris Barber. He dabbled in straight pop, folk, R&B and even some Cajun influenced stuff, but it was ex skiffler Adam Faith who approached him to do this project -- provided he did complete reworkings of his old stuff. Lonnie reluctantly agreed and Adam duly got him a recording contract, assembling many of the top musicians of the day -- and you'll find at least 25 star names who came into the studios to work at some point or another. Only perhaps the 'Royal Family' of pop, Paul and Linda couldn't make it because they were on tour with Wings. Anyway, this is the result! There are debates about the original artwork being used, and even some live recordings being thrown in, but yes, this is basically the same as the 10 track vinyl version that was put out in 1978, but as Mr.Donegan said at the time: 'Four other tracks were left on the cutting room floor' (No, that's film, Lon). Still, a nice informative booklet though. What he meant was that they weren't (a) considered skiffle by ruthless producer Adam, and (b) tracks that last well over 7 minutes just wouldn't fit on the old vinyl format. Result -- you get bonuses which involve members of The Moody Blues and Brian May! In the end, Lonnie charted again, duly helped by all the people that admired him. What do I think of it? Well, I was a 'skiffler' right at the beginning and I liked the sound because it was so basic, plain and simple, but I've marked this down because it all gets to sound too much of a complicated noise, and for me, in spite of so much talent being assembled, I find it rarely works -- in fact as do most 'all rocking on stage together at the same time' efforts. Different perhaps, but not skiffle anymore. It all reminds me a bit of Lon's big night at the Royal Albert Hall in London which I attended not too long before he finally passed away ... Chris Barber's Band, Beryl Bryden, Chas McDevitt, Bruce Welch, Chas and Dave etc. etc ... ooh, the list was endless. Now THAT'S what I would buy, and more's the pity they didn't produce a DVD of the occasion.

5.0 out of 5 stars Please dont change the picture again Amazon !, 25 Feb. 2012
BRIAN PLAYFAIR "SAQQARA" (CLELAND SCOTLAND) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Puttin' On The Style (Audio CD)
This review relates ONLY to the album where Lonnie is shown in profile in a RED SHIRT. I make that qualification to stop it being misrepresented with other records of the same name. So long as Amazon don't change the picture again we will be safe reviewing this album. This is the 1978 record that Lonnie made with Adam Faith, Elton John,Rory Gallagher,Brian May and many other great musicians who were queing up for the priviledge of playing with him and thus paying tribute to a great legend.

A few years back Amazon had this as one of their listings (although it proved to be unobtainable)and I wrote a review giving it rightly 5 stars - then Amazon changed the picture to a cheap compilation of old singles and so mislead a lot of people. I objected and Amazon withdrew my notes. The damage however had already been done. Then Amazon listed the 1978 record as being re-released with a few bonus tracks so I ordered one - it never came and they withdrew the listing. I eventually found the CD version on Lonnie's sons website and was happy with the find.

A few weeks back I saw this and recognised the cover. Surely not I thought being a bit sceptical- have they eventually managed to get it released ? I checked the track listing and this time there was the 15 second sampler for each track and that confirmed it as genuine with those extra tracks originally promised. It was so cheap I could not miss the opportunity even if it was just for the bonus tracks (which are superb like the rest).

Recorded in 1978 it still sounds as fresh as it did then and is something that does not date.It is as good a tribute to Lonnie Donegan as we have and I hope he is looking down on us and realises we have not forgotten him. I know he appreciated what we still felt for him.

So here it is and I would suggest you grab a copy whilst you can....and before Amazon change the picture again. To be fair there are several records with the same title but modern technology should be able to recognise the difference. However just to be safe check the track listing on any future listing.

JUST BRILLIANT !

5.0 out of 5 stars It IS the 1977 album!!!, 6 Oct. 2010
Mr. RCA Sayer "Roger" (Exeter,Devon United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Puttin' On The Style (Audio CD)
Although the CD cover appears to belong to a cheap compilation on Amazons listing;when I received it-I was delighted to discover the cover was a facsimile of the original vinyl cover.

It IS in fact the one with Rory Gallagher-Elton John-Brian May etc. on.Also included are 4 tracks not on the original album;Grand Coolie Dam-London Is Behind Me-Whoa Buck and I've Got Rocks In My Bed(which is just amazing!!)

Together with excellent sleeve notes-this is what we have all been waiting for;don't hesitate-BUY IT!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars What a great album!, 2 Feb. 2013
This review is from: Puttin' On The Style (Audio CD)
I bought this album on vinyl the year it was released (recorded in 1977 but possibly not released until 1978 - can't remember exactly - and played it incessantly. It has remained a firm favourite through the years and still gets a regular airing. Imagine my surprise when I found it had finally been released on CD AND with bonus tracks. Outstanding.

This is a classic album. I recall reading an interview between Lonnie and an NME reporter. Lonnie remarked that Rory Gallagher would not call him Lonnie but instead continued to refer to him as Mr Donegan.

Everything about this album is great. The tracks are great, the musicians are great and Lonnie's voice is tremendous. Strangely I still have an affinity to my vinyl copy, clicks and all, but I love this CD. Favourite track - probably Rock Island Line, mainly for the intro which is truly outstanding. Lonnie's vocals, Rory's guitar and one particular sizzle cymbal strike at the end of a piano note are killer.

Buy it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Correction, 22 May 2013
This review is from: Puttin' On The Style (Audio CD)
Correction to Mr Gallagher - Amazon haven't put a cheap compilation cover on "Puttin' On The Style" - that's the original cover design from 1977 - I should know - I designed it. Thanks. David Larkham

5.0 out of 5 stars Puttin' on the Style by Lonnie Donegan, 26 July 2012
I have the vinyl of this album which I bought many years ago and had been trying to find it on CD for years. I eventually found this and it is an amazing album. The main track I love is "Nobody's Child". Lonnie has done this track many times either very slow or in a rock style. This recording is the only one I know of in a Gospel-type style. The best recording every of this track by any artist!! The majority of the rest of the album is great and true to the vinyl apart from a couple of tracks. Would highly recommend.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Puttin' On The Style
Puttin' On The Style by Lonnie Donegan (Audio CD - 2010)