5.0 out of 5 stars Best beer in the world, 11 Sep 2012
This review is from: Chimay Blue 24x33cl
There's good reason that Chimay Bleu consistently receives world-class ratings on independent beer review websites. It is a simply fantastic beer. I won't go into the whole 'I can smell chocolate and toffee with hints of sea salt' nonsense because from what I gather it's unique to each person and you find enough of that on the beer review sites themselves.

All I'll say is that it's a 9%, dark beer which doesn't taste like a dark beer. It's really light and is not too strong. Frankly I find it almost perfect!

5.0 out of 5 stars By aficionado standards, this is the best of the Chimay Trappist ales, 19 April 2013
Red Xala "~23~" (L'Etoile du Nord) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Chimay Blue 24x33cl
Today is April 18, 2013. For most communities across the U.S., the klaxon call of spring has brought flowers into bloom, birds are singing their joyous songs, and people have emerged from their winter hibernation to engage in fun outdoor activities. Well... In the greater Twin Cities area, we are currently under a winter storm advisory, several inches of wet snow have already covered the landscape, and at least one local radio station has been playing Christmas music throughout the day!

It's days like these when I say "Oh, the Hell with it! I live in a crazy part of the world, and I'm going to treat myself to a Chimay Blue!"

Weighing in at 9% ABV, Chimay Blue is the most "regal" offering of the Chimay repoitre. Introduced in the 1940's, Chimay Blue was originally a seasonal Christmas ale. However, due to it's popularity, it soon became available year round.

Being an extreme advocate of Belgian ales, I have to say that this is one of the best on the market today. It has a slightly sweet/floral bouquet; it is somewhere between ruby-dark brown to obsidian in color; there is a slight sweetness to the flavor, with notes of pepper, and a clean finish.

It may sound a little bit silly, but every time I embibe the Blue Chimay, I go into a little reverie in which I become philosophical; truly not all alcohols are the same!

Chimay Trappist ales are a one-of-a-kind ambrosia; I've been a fan of their ales for over 15 years, and I highly recommend them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent dark and sweet Trappist beer, 17 July 2010
This review is from: Chimay Blue 24x33cl
At a hefty 9% abv Blue is the most alcoholic of the four Chimays. As spectacularly good as the abbey's other offerings, this particular one is a relatively sweet beer with fruit and dark malt flavours. The sweetness and high alcohol give it a slightly port like quality.

This beer is probably one of, if not the best example of it's style in the world. I should caution that this type of beer is somewhat of an acquired taste and I know that a lot of people more familiar with generic lagers are put off by flavours they don't normally find in beer. Don't expect to knock these back from the bottle, pour a glass, sip, savour and enjoy.

Chimay Blue 24x33cl