on 7 February 2011
I have now used this product three times, the first effort (following the few instructions to the letter) was in short a dissaster, the cake was burnt on the outside and not cooked in the middle The second and third attempts where AMAZING, all my friends where very impressed, I have even recieved orders to do some for upcoming 16th and 18th birthdays. I used the following recipie

12oz/345g selfraising flour
12oz/345g butter/marg
12oz/345g sugar
4 large eggs
2 tsps baking powder
(2 heaped tblsp cocoa powderif doing chocolate version)

preheat oven to gas 3/160c
well grease both moulds
beat sugar and butter together until light and fluffy
add eggs one at a time mixing well between each
fold in flour and baking powder (and cocoa powder)
transfer mix to moulds on put in oven, the top should cook in approx 50 mins and the bottom approw 15-20 mins longer, however keep a close eye on them both as ovens can vary
allow to cool for at least half an hour (longer if you can wait that long)
level both layers off with a bread knife to ensure a more stable cake
I put mine in the freezer for twenty mins before assembling and decorating to help set the butter icing

GOODLUCK
99 comments| 308 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 30 October 2010
If you are looking for something different for your kids or a treat for someone else, look no further. The price is very competetive, the same kit is on offer for around £20 and metal moulds are a further tenner on that.

Compared with metal moulds which are one piece, they do have the advantage of the cooking time being the same for the top and bottom of the cake.

with the cake being so deep, make sure any mix is kept light by mixing and using straight away. We have used the insert that creats a dip for fillings, beware as it is easy to loose a pot of jam in there!

Overall good value for money
on 31 October 2010
I have used this twice now and have been really pleased with the result. One tip is to make sure the mould is greased well and floured (with cocoa if the mixture is chocolate). My Grandson was over the moon with his birthday cake for his 5th birthday.
review image
on 20 September 2010
I recently purchased this silicone mould after struggling to perfect the giant cupcake with my highly expensive Wilton tin. Silicone is definately the way forward - cake cooked perfectly and no sticking to the pan. Highly recommended.
on 18 December 2011
This is a sillicone baking mould that comes in 3 parts for you to make BIG cupcakes.
I have just used my mould for the first time to bake a 30th birthday cake (its going on the top of a 5 tier stand with smaller cupcakes on the other tiers).
I sprayed non-stick oil over all parts of the moulds before I used it, as instructed in the little booklet that came with the mould.
The recipe I used was my usual cupcake recipe but I multiplied it by 2 to ensure I had enough, and it was a perfect amount for the mould (both top and bottom parts). The following is the correct amount to fill both halves.

500g self raising flour
500g sugar
500g butter (not margarine)
6 - 8 eggs depending on size
4 teaspoons vanilla essence
splash of milk if needed
sieved cocoa powder if making a chocolate cupcake

Soften the butter, then add the sugar and mix well until light and fluffy. Add the beaten eggs a little at a time until well combined, then add the vanilla esssence - stir well. Sieve the flour and add a little at a time, beating well. Add cocoa powder if making a chocolate cake.
If mixture too stiff, add a splash of milk. When all combined well, split between the moulds. If you want to create a 'space' in the base, with which to later fill with jam/buttercream/cream etc, use the indented parts of the mould and make sure you seal it all the way around. I filled my moulds about 3/4 full and they rose to the perfect height.
Now place the moulds on a baking tray (important as they get wobbly when hot and are tricky to get out of the oven). I cooked mine at 180 degrees for 35 mins for the top half, and another 5-10 mins for the base - just keep checking it to see if a skewer comes out clean. If it does, its ready.
When they are cool, put a plate over the top and invert the whole thing so that the plate is now on the bottom, then slowly peel the sillicone mould from the BOTTOM using two hands, slowly lifting it off and gently pressing on the top of the mould to release it. If you've greased it with non-stick spray it should come off pretty easily, and any small breaks can easily be disguised with your frosting/icing.
Now the fun part - sandwich it together with your choice of filling (I used jam - other suggestions are lemon curd, chocolate spread, plain whipped cream or buttercream, even custard!), then make a frosting (I used 1 block butter, 1 250g tub plain cream cheese, and 1 x 1kg large box sieved icing sugar, juice of 1 lemon, 2 teaspoons strong vanilla essence and finely grated lemon rind). Colour with food colouring if needed. Pipe over the frosting on the top half of the cupcake with your biggest nozzle. Decorate as you wish. watch YouTube for some good decorating / piping tips.
(I didn't have to cut mine to make the cakes flatter so that they would sit on top of eachother better, but if you have to do this use a serrated knife when completely cold).
The outside of the cake can become dry as it is not in a wrapper and exposed to the air, so either make a thick chocolate 'shell' for it with your cake mould (see youtube on how to do this) or stick chocolate fingers (Cadburys) around the outside with some buttercream or leftover frosting to stick them.
Let you imagination go wild with this as the sky is the limit!

I have to say I liked the mould, it did create a good cake, I might have to experiment a bit with timings and temperatures but that may just be my oven! Turned out well for a 1st attempt and looks fab when iced.
Recommended.
on 2 November 2011
The item that arrived wasn't the item that is shown. It is a cheap knock off! I wouldn't recommend if, as I did, you bought it as a gift. Go to a shop and spend a few pound more and get the genuine article.

What you are getting is a jumbo cupcake mould not the Big Top Cupcake mould.

Despite showing that there is a cook book, there isn't one.

I feel like I have been scammed.
on 26 January 2011
I bought this set and it went back the same day, I recieved it got it out washed it read the "instruction" (in " as you can not really call them instructions) my first cake was burnt on the outside and mush in the middle the second cake was brilliant on the outside but mush in the middle, and the third attempt was the same.. so i started trying to adjust my temperature, and cooking time, and it was no good at all, just did not work........ when i tried to take the cake out it stuck to the edges and broke to pieces, it also felt very stodgy.... so after about four large tubs of butter three packets of flour, 100s off eggs the thing went back. In my honest opinion the thing is a complete waste of money, time and effort.
on 15 August 2011
I thought I would try this mould for under a fiver before I invested in a tin costing over £20. I was so glad I did as it arrived within 2 days and I used it staright away to make a cake for my Grandaughters 6th Birthday.
I washed and dried the mould then sprayed it thoroughly with Flora light butter spray. I used a mixture of 8 ozs soft stork,8 oz Self raising flour, 8 oz Caster sugar, 4 eggs and a drop of vanilla essence for the bottom of the mould and another mix using 6 ozs flour, marg,sugar vanilla essence and 3 eggs for the top mould. I didnt use the third mould.
Put them on a baking tray in a preheated oven at 160 degrees check the top cake with a skewer after 45 mins, mine was cooked through within 50 mins but the bottom cake took 1 hour and 5 mins to cook through.
When cooked remove from the oven and allow to cool thoroughly, your cakes should come out easily.
Sandwich together with jam. Decorate as you wish, I put fondant icing and love hearts around the bottom and piped Vanilla buttercream all around the top cake and decorated with Sparkly edible pink dust and tiny hearts.I put the cake on a round silver board and made fairy cakes iced with pink sparkles and initials which I placed around the cake spelling out her name. She was the envy of all her friends, they all want one as well now!
This is the first Birthday cake I have ever made, I shall never buy another one now, this one is perfect for any occasion. JML Giant Bake Big Top Cupcake Silicone Bakeware
on 24 March 2014
I have not fully made use of this yet so comments refelect this. I have only used the base and it worked well and I had no problems with it. I intend using the base to make a thick chocolate shell that I can fill with fun things for a party but the opportunity has not arisen yet.
on 30 April 2014
got this as my daughter wanted a giant cupcake for her 21st birthday. easy to use but I did take the precaution of spraying with oil before use and I am glad I did as I did have to take it carefully to turn the cake out. I used a 10 egg recipe which is quite a lot but the mould takes more cake batter then you think

See one answered question