4.0 out of 5 stars It's all about the right attitude
Published on 22 May 2012 by Juliet Foster

2.0 out of 5 stars Good if you like Football
I really wanted to like this book.. but I didn't.

It's not what I wanted it to be, I wanted it to be about Theo's business life, with his companies such as La Senza and Rymans, but it was 60% about his time at Millwall.

I don't like football, I like business, so it did nothing for me.

Shame because he's a talented businessman but you don't...
Published on 10 Oct 2012 by Neil Asher

2.0 out of 5 stars Good if you like Football, 10 Oct 2012
Neil Asher "www roarlocal com" (Brighton, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Enter the Dragon (Paperback)
I really wanted to like this book.. but I didn't.

I don't like football, I like business, so it did nothing for me.

Shame because he's a talented businessman but you don't get to hear anything at all about it.

The best Dragons book for me is James Caan's

Neil Asher
Roarlocal

4.0 out of 5 stars It's all about the right attitude, 22 May 2012
Juliet Foster "Life's better in Red" (Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Enter the Dragon (Paperback)
The story of the football obsessed (and I mean obsessed!) dragon and how he turned his life around. Well, where to begin a review? With other reviews, I think. Some people have slated this book for not being the business book they somehow thought it was. I have to disagree with them completely. Enter the Dragon is not billed as a business book. It's a book by a very successful businessman who turned his life literally from rags to riches, hence the subtitle, but he never claims he'll tell you how to be successful in business yourself.

What Mr Paphitis does in this book is describe a quite remarkable life, beginning as a child newly arrived from Cypress and struggling not only with the language barrier but also with dyslexia and having to get through school at a time when those difficulties were very rarely supported. Branded as `thick' he could easily have given up there and then. Of course, we know he's anything but thick and is not only very quick but also very shrewd.

Enter the Dragon does give some rules for business at the end (which are on Theo's website too, so we know these are not the purpose of the book) and if you have an ounce of common sense you'll find yourself agreeing with them. The thing that stands out from this book as the way Theo transformed his life is attitude. He has the tenacity to keep trying and the determination to succeed. He has the sense to cut his losses and not carry them with him into the next venture. Most of all, he embraces his abilities with the key attitude that he can do anything he puts his mind to. We can all do that (within our physical limitations) but how often do we allow ourselves to believe it?

You might not get direct insight to business plans and how to play every move in the game from this book. If you sit back and read it and exercise a little common sense you can easily interpret the message though. If you give up, you'll never be anything like Mr Paphitis. If you allow your heart to rule your head in business, you're setting yourself up for a fall. If you bite off more than you can chew, you'll choke. If you don't do your homework, you'll get caught out. It's all about having the spirit and the sense to succeed. Theo's had some near misses but he fought back with a powerful faith in his ability to spot an opportunity.

There's a lot to be got from this book, whether you're looking for a sense of direction in business or just want to know more about the dragon we've all come to appreciate for not pussy-footing around. If it's how to you're after, this is not the book for you. If you can apply a little independent thought to what you read and think about how you can change your attitude and approach, then it's a very useful read. It's nice to learn more about Theo the person as well.

Four stars Theo - a bit too much football for me, and yes I know that's highly relevant to you and both your business and personal life - it just makes very little sense to me so I didn't take much in for two chapters. Readers, you can still learn that it's good to have more passions in life than `strictly business' - this man is football crazy and I wouldn't mind being a tenner behind him!

5.0 out of 5 stars the best of the "dragon" books..., 14 Sep 2011
This review is from: Enter the Dragon (Paperback)
this is by far the best of the dragon books. theo tells his story, which is incredibly inspiring and gives a better account of how you take on debt to get your company off the ground, as well as how to avoid ridiculous consultant fees etc. why did i prefer this over james caan and duncan's books - quite simply theo doesn't 'advertise' his companies into his life stories - this gives a better overall insight into how to be a successful businessman...

5.0 out of 5 stars Get to Know Theo!, 10 Oct 2010
Fabrizio Poli "Fabrizio Poli" (Chorley,Lancashire, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Enter the Dragon (Paperback)
A great insight into Theo Paphitis from Dragon's Den. I enjoyed learning how he started, about his various ventures and how they developed and also about his family life.
Another great business person that is happily married and not a womanizer. A great role model to follow.
I also enjoyed his simple approach to managing retail stores and how to get them to perform.
Great read and highly recommended!

4.0 out of 5 stars The underdog stories never disappoint......, 23 July 2011
This review is from: Enter the Dragon (Paperback)
Well this is one product I cant do a pros and cons off, coz this is an altime fav underdog story and a real one too....he is one of the outstanding personalities you would imagine, and hence, this book never disappoints.....

5.0 out of 5 stars The real dragon, 13 April 2010
This review is from: Enter the Dragon (Paperback)
A fine book, full of genuinely useful business advice and tips, combined with the pleasant wit we have come to expect from this great man.

A wonderful read, highly recommended.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, apart from the football, 15 Aug 2010
This review is from: Enter the Dragon (Paperback)
Let me note that my review is based on a comparison to two other Dragons' Books - by Duncan Bannatyne and James Caan. Compared to the two others I have read, this book seemed less detailed and less desirable to read. At times I questioned why I should read it.

That being said, his account of his 'rags to riches' story from Cyprus to his Contessa, La Senza and Rymans successes, are quite good. He is very frank about one occasion where he takes a gamble, and has to make it work because there is no alternative. There is none of the 'I knew it would work, plain and simple', which is refreshing. That being said, that was a common feature of the other books - which emphasised that they had to work hard to succeed, that luck played no part in their success.

My title, relating to football, is self-explantory. I finished the book today, and I simply had to skip the second chapter on football. The first was painful, the second unbearable. Perhaps if I had the same passion for football as Theo Paphitis, I might have enjoyed these accounts, but I didn't. I think the book could have easily obtained an extra star had it cut these sections down to half the length and focussed more on Dragons' Den.

So:

1) The Accounts are honest and very interesting to read - especially his Lingerie and Stationery businesses (or former businesses in some cases).

2) The football sections are poor, but that might be down to my lack of interest in football.

3) Not as good compared to the other two Dragons' books, for the simple reason that Caan and Bannatyne wrote books that were motivating, entertaining and well-written. This book pales in comparison, but isn't terrible. If I hadn't read the other books, I would have thought better of it.

So as it stands, I would recommend the Bannatyne and Caan books without reservation. Only get this one after you have read those, or get the Meaden one firstly - which I am about to start.

5.0 out of 5 stars Rags to riches, 24 July 2009
Bhupinder Bhasin (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Enter the Dragon (Paperback)
The classic rags to riches story. Very down to earth. A really good read. The 12 rules for success at the end is a nice touch.

5.0 out of 5 stars theos-story, 23 April 2010
This review is from: Enter the Dragon (Paperback)
very good ,very interesting inside to this man.when finished was wanting more to read about him as i wondered did he hold things back!! but v good all teh same.recommended buy

3.0 out of 5 stars Average read!, 22 Jan 2010
This review is from: Enter the Dragon (Paperback)
I brought this book after reading Duncan Bannatyne's autobiography 'Anyone One Can Do It.' However unfortunately Theo's book was nothing compared to Duncan's. I felt it was an ok book but at times i felt he rambled on for too long about things, and i found myslef skipping chapters. I also felt that unless your seriously into football or sales and retail the book was a bit boring. Where as Duncan's was much more varied and the average everyday person can relate to much more about what he was talking about then Theo's life in business. If you had to choose between the two go for Duncan Bannatyne's book.

Enter the Dragon