5.0 out of 5 stars PREMIER LEAGUE ROCK TRIO FROM GILLAN!
All 3 albums are neatly packaged in 2 discs. Listened to them last night and I was suitably impressed. In fact, I'd rank the first two albums right alongside the sterling work he did in the late 1970s and early 1980s.

Published on 24 Oct 2010 by Mr. Haseebuddin Ahmad

3.0 out of 5 stars Disrespectful format, excellent music
Published on 11 May 2011 by Skśli Į. Siguršsson

3.0 out of 5 stars Disrespectful format, excellent music, 11 May 2011
Skśli Į. Siguršsson "-S." (Reykjavķk, Iceland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Naked Thunder + Toolbox + Cherkazoo (Audio CD)
I write this review to warn potential buyers that this is a three album set crammed into two CDs. Which would be fine if the last three songs on Toolbox didn't end up on CD2, before Cherkazoo. I find this disrespectful to the albums, the music and the artists. I'm not sure I would have bought this set had I known this, I probably would have paid the extra price for each respective album. Maybe this doesn't matter much to anyone but me but I thought I'd put it out there.

Aside from this the music is excellent, the set looks great and the booklet is very satisfying (as always with these Gillan reissues). I'd give it four stars but tearing Toolbox in two forces me to knock one off the top.

5.0 out of 5 stars PREMIER LEAGUE ROCK TRIO FROM GILLAN!, 24 Oct 2010
Mr. Haseebuddin Ahmad "HUAhmad" (Blackburn, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Naked Thunder + Toolbox + Cherkazoo (Audio CD)

Naked Thunder is a fairly commercial rock album with catchy tracks plus a lengthy closer. On the other hand, Toolbox is a more aggressive and fiercer effort with crushingly heavy riffs and guitar licks, a searing pace and typically piercing vocals from the Deep Purple man. Special mention must also go to Lenny Haze for his brutal John Bonham-style drumming.

Cherkazoo is basically a knockabout collection of rare stuff that he recorded with the help of mate Roger Glover. Some real oddities in here, but there are a few pleasing rock numbers that I enjoyed.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Value, 23 Oct 2010
A. J. Grant (West Wales) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Naked Thunder + Toolbox + Cherkazoo (Audio CD)
This collection covers 3 different phases in Ian's career. The biggest suprise is Cherkazoo from the early 1970's, a very different vibe to his Deep Purple material. A very chilled, psychedelic sound this was recorded as a Musical, a story thread running through the song titles. Recorded by whoever was around at the time, with some tracks co-written by Roger Glover. Toolbox is from 1991 & has a stripped down hard rock sound from the trio of musicians. I saw Ian touring this album in a run down cinema/ bingo hall in Worcester. The biggest suprise was the way Len Haze (from Y'n'T) pounded his drumkit. This just leaves Naked Thunder from 1990, a very polished sound, but probably the one selection from these three that you will play least. This is another excellent re-issue from Edsel & comes with a detailed booklet. Excellent value.

3.0 out of 5 stars Gillans best, sort of, 6 Jun 2012
T. Baranyai "COVERDALESNAKE" (ENGLAND) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Naked Thunder + Toolbox + Cherkazoo (Audio CD)
I must agree with the reviewer who commented Toolbox being split onto two discs. It is disrespectful to the material and to the artist, and should have been on three discs. But, that being said, this is a fine collection of tracks. Naked thunder is Ian Gillans best solo album, featuring the AMAZING Loving on borrowed time and the fantastic No good look. Nothing but the best, Moonshine, and No more cane on the brazos are also worth a listen. The album is very glossy and slick in production, but is actually better for it. Toolbox is also a good effort, but a lot heavier than the Naked thunder and lacks a stand-out track. Cherkazoo is a collection of demo- sounding tracks that are not well produced, but it serves as a curio for Gillan fans. I would have prefered Naked Thunder to have been released on its own with bonus tracks.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 17 Oct 2014
Great

Naked Thunder + Toolbox + Cherkazoo
Naked Thunder + Toolbox + Cherkazoo by Ian Gillan (Audio CD - 2010)